Gransnet forums

Local

Middle Class revolt in Waitrose?

(3 Posts)
Pittcity Tue 31-Dec-13 09:50:14

According to [[ ind.pn/1gj2HnT The Independent]] Waitrose is facing a 'middle-class revolt' over free coffee, in that people who do not shop there are applying for a card just to get the free drink and are lowering the tone of the shop.
Personally I think it hilarious that in this day and age we are still defending class divides.
I shop in Waitrose and do not usually bother with the free coffee, I also shop in Aldi, Tesco, Co-op, Sainsbury's and have been known to venture out to Morrisons.....
What do you think?

Pittcity Tue 31-Dec-13 09:51:58

Sorry, link didn't work Try this one

FlicketyB Tue 31-Dec-13 11:33:21

I thought this report was ridiculous. To begin with what does 'middle class' mean? Some press stories use it as shorthand for anyone on a large salary with children in private schools and large 4x4s. Next day it means anyone earning above the average wage (around £25,000) whether by £1 or £1M.

How many actually complained? Suppose it was 100 and Waitrose has only 500,000 customers a year it is 1 in 5,000 customers! Hardly a 'middleclass revolt'. Just a small quantity of customers, who I sincerely hope do not include any of my friends or family.

I have shopped in Waitrose almost exclusively for 20 years because it is in the town centre and I can do all my shopping and banking in one weekly visit. I also have limited alternatives; Tesco a mile from the town centre and which I do not use on principal and probably never will or a couple of small Co-ops and that is it. I see a cross section of society in Waitrose and always have. People who are visibly very well off and plenty who, visibly, are not. Waitrose like all the supermarkets wants all the customers it can get and if coffee pulls them in that's fine. I have a 'my waitrose' card but have yet to find time to stop for coffee.