Gransnet forums

Local

The Great Sewing Bee BBC2

(9 Posts)
Fontana Fri 21-Feb-14 11:11:28

I just watched a recorded first episode of the GSB - I love it has anyone else watched it?

emmasnan Fri 21-Feb-14 19:50:08

Yes I really enjoy it, tempted to start making clothes again. I love crafts and should try some new ones.

Fontana Sat 22-Feb-14 11:43:21

Me too Emmasnan,

I make crafty bits and bobs which I sell once a year at a local village Christmas craft market. I would like to try and make some clothes though.

I think the last Sewing Bee had an online page where you could get tips and hints, I must look and see if they have one this year.

It would be good to set up a crafting thread on line where people can share their makes!

Carole

emmasnan Mon 24-Feb-14 22:24:01

Do you find things sell well? I have considered selling but not sure the best place to start.

Fontana Mon 24-Feb-14 23:02:00

Hi yes, if you get yourself known ..I only do one sale a year at the moment at a local Xmas Bazaar

However I have sold online and via Facebook and on Etsy.

I think the best way is linking in with local crafters - if you are on Facebook many local crafters in an area swap ideas and dates of events where you can get a stall.

From experience, the more expensive the cost of having a table is, the less you sell...well at least that's what I found so now I pay no more than £10 for a table...having paid £30 and made nothing.

FlicketyB Tue 25-Feb-14 06:59:30

DD is a constant stitcher, she always has a needle and thread in her hand. She started making items to sell at craft markets but gave up after a few years. She rarely covered her stall fee. We helped her several times and found people came into craft fairs, looked around, examined her goods, said 'Oh, I could do that, you have just made it from........' and walked on. This was not particular to her but applied to most of the rest of the stall holders.

She gave up and went into antiques trading instead. We do this with her and in our first day antique trading at a big show in a blizzard we sold more goods than two years of craft sales, and covered our costs for the first time.

Fontana Tue 25-Feb-14 16:08:32

Welcome FlickertyB

I think there are mixed results, not sure anyone will get rich on it as so many people make things, I stick to my 'once a year 'sale, which enables me to buy materials for the following years sewing..

Great to have new faces appearing on the Forum x

FlicketyB Tue 25-Feb-14 19:25:53

Well, I am intruder from Oxford, but DS lives in Lyme Regis.

Fontana Wed 26-Feb-14 09:28:41

You are still welcome to join in on our Forum FlicketyB x