Gransnet forums

Local

Car tax scam

(8 Posts)
SueD Mon 07-Jul-14 14:41:44

I was pleased to read today that there are prosecutions pending on several people for fraud from this and similar "scams". About time the powers that be took things like this seriously . Google and other search engines are also seeking to shut them down

Let's hope it happens sooner rather than later!

geeljay Wed 25-Jun-14 00:03:18

We got scammed with passport renewal, by one of these sites. looked exactly as the passport office. I was out of luck with a refund, and though the passport office sympathised, said efforts were being made to close these sites, they are still operating. I also was advised that the official sites were www.gov etc...The only service the scam site actually offered was to verify that your application was filled correctly, and were therefore providing 'a service'. So my bank would not look at recovering my money on this basis.

SueD Tue 24-Jun-14 11:24:34

Glad it wasn't just me! So annoying and as you say you feel so cross with yourself for being duped. I was patting myself on the back for getting a good insurance deal but any gain I made was instantly wiped out. C'est la vie!

Redestate841 Mon 23-Jun-14 10:49:41

I too got caught by this.I have been renewing my tax on line for a few years and consider myself to be pretty internet savvy too!
I was livid-mainly with myself for getting caught!

I was in a hurry and didn't look twice, it was a Saturday and I realised just as I finished the transaction. I immediately tried to cancel it- no joy- so I then went to the genuine site and ordered my disc there.

I figured that as it was a weekend, my order would get dealt with first and when the bogus site applied it would be blocked. This is exactly what happened-I also phoned the DVLA first thing Monday morning to tell them, they said it is happening to many people.

I emailed the bogus site telling them that if they didn't return the money to my credit card the company would pursue them for it. It took a month(which apparently they are allowed) and the money was returned,less an £8 'admin charge' which is also legal. I saw it as my 'punishment' for being
caught and took it on the chin!

I will never make the same mistake again but it is very easy to get caught and it is about time this was made illegal.

yggdrasil Wed 04-Jun-14 12:02:21

I just googled for tax disc renewal and this one was at the top

https://www.gov.uk/tax-disc

Even if it hadn't been, I would go to www.gov.uk for any such transaction.
It is so much easier to do it on line, as I have for several years.

SueD Tue 03-Jun-14 10:15:54

Hi BigG - that's what I did last year and can't think why I didn't this year! You certainly learn by your mistakes.

BigG Fri 30-May-14 19:41:17

Hi sueD I always use my local post office . I went this year armed with M O T insurance certificate ect because DVLA said I needed them at the Post Office rubbish they new all about me needed none of it, done in minutes & given tax disk to put in windscreen straight away job done

SueD Sat 10-May-14 15:25:34

I recently re taxed my car and did this online. I used my debit card (no charge) and waited for the taxdisc to arrive. When I looked at the new disc I could see there was a £2.50 card charge and when I checked my bank account I saw that I had been charged an additional £40!!!
I phoned the DVLA and it would appear that I was directed to a non government site. I consider that I am reasonably au fait with the internet but the site used identical colours etc as the government website and I was totally taken in by it. These sites are apparently totally legal although the powers that be are endeavouring to shut them down

Nest year I will be using my local post office! Gransnetters beware.....angry