Gransnet forums

Local

Gifts for Mums-to-be?

(2 Posts)
never2old Mon 07-Jul-14 19:04:46

Well my first one might be a bit expensive but I would say a rocking chair, comforting for both mum and baby to sooth and snooze in together at any time of day or night and would last well into the early years.

The big horse shoe shaped cushions, great for breast feeding or bottle feeding and for propping baby up when a few weeks old, it surrounds them so they can look around without falling over.

Something that mum can wear next to her skin but is safe to leave near baby when it's in it's cot as they say babies settle better if they can smell the scent of mum close by.

Just for the first few weeks a faithful promise that they can ring no matter what time of night when things seem to get too much. Nothing worse than feeling completely alone in the middle of the night with a screaming baby who just won't settle. Just to hear another voice makes things seem a little better.

A steriliser that goes in the microwave. The electric ones are twice as expensive and take twice as long to sterilise. Sterilising is done in a matter of minutes in the microwave ones.

Magenta Mon 07-Jul-14 10:00:47

My son and DIL are expecting their first baby later this year. I have been thinking hard about what to give them as a gift, as new parents and I have come up with a list of five things I wish I had been given as a new mum.
How about you folks - list five things you would give to a new mum and perhaps share the reasons why?

Mine are:
Rescue Remedy - for mum, dad and baby, at times of stress and anxiety and lord knows there are lots of them in the first few months!
Arnica cream, for the inevitable bumps and bruises.
Aconite granules, for mum and baby to be taken at the first sign of a cold - new mums don't have the time to be ill smile
Teething granules - for colic as well as teething
Terry nappies - for spills, vomit, dribble, mopping up all manner of things, snotty noses...in fact, my eldest son is 28 and I still have a pile of nappies that get used for all sort.

Over to you all....