Gransnet forums

Local

Oldham Street/Market Street

(4 Posts)
never2old Tue 02-Sep-14 19:12:32

Been wandering about down that old memory lane with other half. Despite my husband being brought up in Manchester he seems to have only a vague recollection of places sooooo after a visit to Middleton this morning and seeing the old Woolworths building is now a Wetherspoons pub it got me on old places in Manchester.

Did Paulden's become Debenhams and was Paulden's in the same building where Debenhams is now. Affleck and Browns, where was that in relation to Debenhams, I know it was in that vicinity. A neighbour who lived across the road from my parents was the doorman at Afflecks - a real life Captain Peacock. But one shop my hubby does remember and neither of us can remember the name of was a boutique that was a white colour on the outside and if I remember correctly was all mirrors and chrome inside and was in the same area across from Woolworths. Can anyone remember what it was called? Oh and one more question, was Chelsea Girl called Bus Stop first.

Well, not being a very patient girl I couldn't wait for a reply so I had to google Paulden's, for the spelling if nothing else.

An excerpt:
It began in the 1860s. The people who owned it were innovative. Paulden’s were the first store in the UK to have electric lighting, escalators, lifts and plate glass windows. Mr. Paulden was the first person to instigate a delivery service using motorised vans. They had a band in the store. They introduced the Manchester public to the first Danish pastries in the UK. Taken from this page - here's the link www.toms-travels.net/?p=18107

Geraldine62 Sat 06-Sep-14 16:56:31

Hi Never2old,

Debenhams is still there on the corner of Tib street and market street I always knew it as Debenhams, Lewis's used to be opposite but that is now Primark!

C&A used to be opposite Woolworths on Oldham street just before Piccadilly gardens what a mess they turned that into! a concrete jungle with water spouting everywhere it used to be a glorious sunken victorian gardens.

Click on the link for a glimpse back in time.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=piccadilly+gardens+manchester+old+photos

never2old Sat 06-Sep-14 22:40:35

Had a look at the pictures and spotted this one
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/175/475822063_f532254acf.jpg

you can see the "Paul" for Paulden's on the corner of the Debenhams building. I would be 5 when that pic was taken. I'd forgotten all about C&A, used to like it in there.

Geraldine62 Wed 24-Sep-14 11:41:08

Thanks Never2old,

That's how I remember Piccadilly Gardens growing up, so lovely, Dad used to take us shopping and for a treat he would buy something yummy from lewis's food hall and we would have a picnic in the gardens!

My niece recently entered a competition on the local radio station Key 103, looking to form a new girlband - she along with four other local girls won and they have just formed the new band, suggestions for a band name was put out to the public and they are now known as 'The Piccadilly's' how mad is that??