Gransnet forums

Local

Weekend trains cancelled for two months.

(3 Posts)
Pittcity Wed 18-Mar-15 10:38:33

I had to use the replacement bus from Colchester to Witham a couple of weeks ago and it was not too bad. It was just that the journey took much longer than on the train for the same price. The luxury coach only had about 6 passengers so a lot of people had made alternative travel arrangements or stayed at home.

DH commutes regularly and has said that he has noticed no difference in his journey and so the disruption has made no discernible difference to the rail traveller.

marshmarigold132 Wed 21-Jan-15 16:46:21

Are you sure the railway will be better? My husband used to work in London and dreaded it when they did work on the railway as it always used to run over and caused problems on Monday morning

Pittcity Wed 21-Jan-15 12:01:17

Greater Anglia Abellio are to be working on upgrading our local rail line every weekend from 31st January to 22nd March.
This will mean replacement buses and much longer journeys on Saturdays and Sundays.
My DH is a shift worker in London. He works 12 hour shifts at weekends and will be affected adversely by this. He will not receive any compensation for the inconvenience despite having paid thousands of pounds for a season ticket. I expect that he will drive up the A12 (if that is running smoothly of course!) to a central line station - all at extra cost, because a bus journey from Colchester to Billericay via intermediate stations will take forever...
We will have to abandon any idea of taking leisure trips on the train until Easter sad

Is it worth it for a better railway?