Gransnet forums

Local

Arnos Vale Cemetery

(6 Posts)
sunseeker Wed 15-Apr-15 09:47:40

Has anyone visited this cemetery recently? My great grandfather is buried there and my brother has asked me to take a photo of the gravestone (he is investigating our family tree). I see on their website there is "some car parking" but what does that mean? I assume I can only get into the cemetery by car through the Bath Road entrance - is that correct? Also does anyone know if there is an online map showing the position of the 3 gates (my great grandfather is buried "by the gate" according to my Mother!). I have tried emailing them but to date haven't had a reply. Any information anyone has would be appreciated.

Elegran Wed 15-Apr-15 14:42:16

If you search for it on Google Earth you can see it from above, trees, individual graves and all. It looks huge - don't get lost.

constance Wed 15-Apr-15 15:39:25

I've driven in the main entrance and managed to park. I kept left - it may be one way: if you follow the road in I think it was signposted to a visitor centre or something, where there are a few car-parking spaces and even a little cafe, though I didn't try that out. When I went there was an exhibition in the gate house with an attendant - they may be able to help with information about graves?

It's an interesting place to go for a walk.

sunseeker Wed 15-Apr-15 17:27:20

Thanks, hadn't thought of Google earth

constance Fri 17-Apr-15 08:36:13

They sometimes have events on there as well. Might be worth checking if it's a busy day.

constance Wed 29-Apr-15 15:31:45

Just been looking at the Bristol Food Connections website and there's a "Booze Forage Walk" in Arnos Vale on May 9th!