Gransnet forums

Local

What does being an "Essex Girl" mean to you?

(3 Posts)
Sandy217 Wed 16-Sep-15 16:58:14

I'm not sure really. The mind initially goes towards the jokey definition of an Essex girl, probably not helped by television programmes. It's a bit like Irish jokes or Scots people being tight. But fortunately most people don't take any notice smile

M0nica Wed 16-Sep-15 15:56:35

I think considering the phrase 'Essex girl' derogatory is a sign of the age of the person thinking that way. The term was derogatory, but I havent seen it in use as such for at least a decade, maybe more.

I doubt anyone under 30 would recognise it as such.

Pittcity Wed 16-Sep-15 15:17:30

I was at a meeting of a Family History Group and we were talking about our Essex Roots.

I said that I was an Essex Girl having been born, raised and always lived in the County. (Ilford, Brentwood and Colchester mainly)
One of the ladies present replied, "Oh you are a real Essex Girl then!" "Yes I am." was my answer. She then went on to say that she had thought that "Essex Girl" was a derogatory term, which I laughed off with a flippant remark about white stilettos.

I think the imagined stereotype must exist in all areas of the UK and I know the phrase was in use years before TOWIE.

What do you think?