Gransnet forums

Local

Overnight stay for young baby

(9 Posts)
Newquay Fri 06-May-16 08:14:53

Good idea Hobbitgran?

hobbitgran Fri 06-May-16 07:36:13

Just a thought. Would it be possible and easier to stay in the baby's home rather than him come to you? Until the DGC can sleep in a bed we find it easier that way. More space for the 'stuff', familiar for the little one with all their own things, including their cot for a good night's sleep. It's as much fun as a sleepover here and an easy beginning for us all. It is also a change for us which is welcome and means no packing up for their parents. Once they graduate to a bed they usually come here, so a natural progression. Works for us smile.

Newquay Thu 05-May-16 16:25:43

Well I've been fortunate in that most of my DGC have slept well-although they do tend to wake early. I am an insomniac so am used to little sleep usually. At 9 months is baby still having sleep morning and afternoon? That gives you a pause. . . If the weather is ok you can have a walk around which will do you both good. Presumably they will bring favourite toys?
Any spare beds you can -shove-store the baby stuff?

Victoria08 Thu 05-May-16 12:31:37

Newquay. Do you get tired with overnight stays.

Yes, I have most of the equipment. But still not a lot of space .

Newquay Wed 04-May-16 22:40:05

Have you got somewhere to store these things eg under a spare bed? We have a high chair that folds flat (like a deck chair); we bought a stair gate which goes flat in a box; baby bath and changing mat are together. Do parents have a travel cot for now?
It passes so quickly; try to enjoy it?

Victoria08 Wed 04-May-16 15:31:05

Thanks for your replies.

Baby is nearly nine months old and flips himself over while laying on floor.
It won't be long before he starts crawling.
Will have to get playpen. Another piece of baby equipment.
House is now resembling a nursery.

Newquay Wed 04-May-16 09:06:50

IT has to be your decision of course but I would have baby. At 8 months at least he/she isn't mobile and should have naps in day. I know what you mean about "risks" but they only get more as they get older so I would say enjoy him/her now. A lovely opportunity to bond-is baby used to seeing you/your home? That will make it easier.

Pittcity Tue 03-May-16 20:39:36

I recently had year old overnight when his father had an operation. He slept well but I didn't. I needed a couple of days to get over it.
I know exactly how you feel.
It's a difficult decision but I would not feel guilty about saying no.

Victoria08 Tue 03-May-16 19:51:06

My daughter has asked me to have eight month old overnight while they go to London.
I am not keen as we all know, babies are exhausting, and at my age, 70yrs, I don't need the stress.
I love looking after him occasionally but overnight and most of the next day, fills me with dread. Also worried about choking, cot death etc etc.

How do other grans feel, and how do you cope with it.
Also saying no, makes one feel guilty. Don't need that either.