Gransnet forums

Local

Meet Up 2017

(20 Posts)
EnglishRose Sat 25-Feb-17 18:31:45

Hello! As you can see from my profile on here I'm your new local editor and I'm hoping to build up this forum and get to know you all.

One of the best ways to do this is a Meet Up where people can get to know each other and quite often make new friends.

I've been in Lincoln with my OH now for 17 years and loved it. My family lives close by and OH's family down in Cambridgeshire and Menorca. Lincoln is a lovely little city which has grown exponentially since we arrived here. There was barely a University and it is now exchanging students and information world-wide.

The are is still expanding and there is much to offer.

I'd love to hear from you as to when and where you would all like to meet up.

I'll start the ball rolling by saying UPHILL, by the Cathedral and Castle Square is always rather special. There are plenty of cafes where a coffee cafe and a piece of cake go down really well! cupcake

I'd also like to know what month and then what days suit you all best? My first suggestion would be May, when the weather may be just a wee bit more inviting,sunshine or September, perhaps?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon. smile

callgirl1 Tue 28-Feb-17 02:36:35

I`d be interested in a Lincoln meet up, but only if the meeting place is accessible by taxi, I`ve been told that the Steep Hill area isn`t. I`d be coming by train from Boston.

EnglishRose Wed 01-Mar-17 11:15:31

Hi Callgirl1. Good to hear from you.

Steep Hill is fine by taxi, so no worries flowers

From the Station they will take you Uphill where you can say where you would like to get out.

They can go to the Cathedral, the Castle, everywhere in fact.

Steep Hill itself runs downhill towards the main Lincoln High Street. It is indeed VERY steep and makes you breathless. The men who built the Cathedral circa C1100 used to have to get huge amounts of building materials up there!

Uphill there's lots to choose from in places to meet and eat or just have coffee. Entry to the newly renovated Castle where the Magna Carta (or a part of it) is held is Free. They have an excellent Cafe.

I'm hopeful of gathering a Group of people, and I'm really pleased you've responded. grin

Can I just ask which month would be best for you personally?

smile

callgirl1 Wed 01-Mar-17 17:52:36

More or less any time after April will be alright for me. The reason I mentioned taxis was because I can`t walk very far, and definitely not up hill. I`ve tried several times to generate interest in a meet up in Boston or Lincoln, but never had any takers, good luck!

EnglishRose Thu 02-Mar-17 13:00:13

Thanks CG1., I'll take that luck you sent to me flowers and send it back.

I'm the same as you due to wonky knees sad

Perhaps we can get some Boston ladies interested then we could have a Meet there? I'll keep going and see what I can do. wink We can only but try.

callgirl1 Fri 03-Mar-17 01:09:06

I`m not sure if there are any Boston members on here now, apart from myself. There have been in the past, but they didn`t seem to stay around very long.....unless they`re just in hiding?

Lynker Thu 16-Mar-17 13:46:10

Hello....if all goes according to plan, we will be moving to the Lincoln area in the next few weeks. We don't know anyone in the area, so it will be quite an adventure. I am keen to meet new people and would be interested in a Lincoln meet up once we have settled in. If anyone has any advice on moving to a new area, I'd be pleased to hear it!

EnglishRose Fri 17-Mar-17 15:57:45

Hi Lynker,

Good to hear from you. smile

We moved up here 17 years ago and have never regretted it. Lincoln is a lovely little city, well, not so little now as it has expanded hugely.

Would you like to tell me what area you will be moving to? We are just 7 miles east of Lincoln, a quick 15 minute car ride. I can fill you in about the supermarkets, shops, hospitals and anything else you would like to know, just ask smile

Once you get settled, even if there are only 3 of us I'll set up a Meet.

There's a lot of information I can give you. Local car parking is horrendous at the moment as they are tearing down and rebuilding the bus station and creating more car parks, so it can be frustrating trying to park in the city.sad

Try the lovely area called Brayford Pool which has a cinema and lots of places to eat.

Looking forward to hearing from you. wink

callgirl1 Fri 17-Mar-17 17:12:11

I`m not a native born Yellowbelly either, we moved to Boston from Lancashire almost 40 years ago. We came to a fairly quiet country town, but these days there are more houses than fields, they`ve built on so much of the countryside now. I`ll be up for a meet up anytime after Easter.

Lynker Fri 17-Mar-17 23:20:15

Thanks for your reply English. We are moving to the north of Lincoln for family reasons. It is many years since I last moved house and I am beginning to remember how stressful it all is. We are busy packing and waiting anxiously for a moving date. We are looking forward to being close to the facilities that Lincoln has to offer. We are hoping to join the local Ramblers group once we are settled in, to meet new people and maybe the U3A if there is one close by. It's quite a daunting prospect, but exciting at the same time. It would be good to meet up.....I've just got my bus pass, so getting into the city shouldn't be a problem!smile

EnglishRose Sat 18-Mar-17 16:55:37

Hi Lynker and CG1 smile

There's been a lot of building in and around Lincoln now too CG1. I suppose needs must though.

Lyn we used to live in Sudbrooke, near Nettleham. I can thoroughly recommend the north of Lincoln. Easy trip into town and lots of decent pubs and clubs. smile

There's Waitrose close by also a giant Tesco, Aldi and Lidl all within a mile of each other. And you don't have to park in town to go to them.

There's a U3A group in Bailgate. u3asites.org.uk/lincoln/home

This is probably closest to where you will be. The other one in Hykenham is quite a drive away in the south of the city.

Buses are Ok if you don't want to drive.

Good luck with all the packing, we had that last November! shock

After Easter will be just fine. Please let us know here when you are settled in Lynker and then CG1 and I will start to make some plans cafe

Take care, good luck!

EnglishRose Tue 11-Apr-17 15:18:57

Hi all. What lovely weather we've been having lately. Our garden is taking shape in our house. We moved last November and it was a scrubland!

Just touching base to say I'll be talking to you about a Meet\Up after Easter and suggesting venues adn times/dates etc.

Looking forward to that! smile

Lynker Tue 11-Apr-17 19:15:54

Hi English....well we moved to Lincoln last Friday! Considering that I haven't moved for over 30 years and having heard terrible stories of chains breaking down at the last minute, I think it all went quite well! The removal company arrived at 8am and left us at 6pm, surrounded by boxes. We are still in a muddle, but we have had a glorious weekend with our families, enjoying fabulous weather.Hope to be settled and organised soon!

EnglishRose Wed 12-Apr-17 16:10:00

Hi Lynker smile

Wasn't it a gorgeous weekend to do something like move house
sunshine sunshine I'm so pleased the weather made the whole experience easier for you.

I hope you continue to settle in well and enjoy our new surroundings. Good luck and hear form you soon I hope.

Alibongo Mon 17-Apr-17 18:08:43

Hi Gilly,

Aha, I've found the meet up thread in the local forums.

All being well, I will be able to join you in May. My only problem is that I do work full time Monday - Friday, so I am tied to a weekend (apart from alternate Friday afternoons)

I already has some dates booked up for weekends in May, but fingers crossed my available dates will fall in with everyone elses

EnglishRose Mon 17-Apr-17 22:56:22

Hi Alibongo and we will ALL make sure we fit around each other and our various commitments. smile However long it takes we won't leave anyone out! It's going to be a splendid time meeting each other and I'm looking forward to it very much indeed. Take care everyone flowers

Nandalot Tue 18-Apr-17 12:30:17

Hi English Rose so pleased we have a local editor at last. I live in a village south of Lincoln and would love to be included in any meet ups. We moved to Lincolnshire over forty years ago meaning to stay just two years!

EnglishRose Tue 18-Apr-17 19:45:09

Hi Nandalot smile

Great to see you here. grin

40 years! Gosh, that is quite a stretch!

We've been up here 17 years and seen many changes int hat time.

Of course we will make sure to include you in any MeetUp flowers

Keep looking in and as April comes to an end there will be a proper thread here with everyone who is interested having their ideas on where and when. [coffee] [cake] wine

If anyone needs picking up from the Station I am happy to do this. It's a large County and not everyone drives. wink

My first thought is Uphill near the Castle and Cathedral where there are some lovely cafes. If anyone has any thoughts about this do please not hesitate in writing them here.

See you soon [wave] XX

callgirl1 Wed 19-Apr-17 21:14:49

Hi EnglishRose,
Well, Easter is over now, I`m looking forward to a meet up in Lincoln, I`m retired, so any day, weekday or weekend, is OK by me. I`ll be coming by train from Boston, so hopefully there`ll be a taxi rank at the station?

EnglishRose Thu 20-Apr-17 23:12:44

Hi CG, yes there is a taxi rank at Lincoln, or I may be able to pick you up from there.

Looks like the weather is closing in on us again next week, so thinking mid May might be a better idea?

I'll be putting up a thread next week asking for opinions on days, and times etc., and putting a few suggestions up myself and welcoming any suggestions from all of you too.

Gradually we will pull something together which suits us all smile

XX