Gransnet forums

Local

Hello!

(17 Posts)
Elthie Sun 14-May-17 16:20:35

Hello to all the local Gransnetters. I notice the forum has been a little quiet. I think that is because it has not had an editor for a little while. I hope I can the the forums buzzing once again, and look forward to seeing all your listings, ideas, funny stories, everything in fact.

Do pop in and say hello

Elthie

PoshGran Mon 15-May-17 09:40:46

Hi Elthie/Hope
Just popping in/over from other thread.
Haven't yet booked this autumn's visit to our favourite place yet but will be doing so shortly.(If there were to be any meetups planned Oct/Nov time I would be interested!)
smile

Teetime Mon 15-May-17 11:36:10

Hallo Elthie I am the Leicestershire Editor but used to live in the Dales and holidayed there for over 30 years so I know it very well. I have a popped a restaurant 'The Wensleydale Heifer' onto you listings as its really lovely and worth a visit - booking necessary I should have thought. I'll put some others on when I have a moment if you like.

Elthie Mon 15-May-17 13:46:45

Hi PoshGran, and Teetime. Thank You for popping over, and thanks for the listing, Teetime. Poshgran I will be trying to get some meet ups on the go when the forum here gets a little busier, no reason at all why we can't try and have one Oct/Nov time.

Kupari45 Mon 15-May-17 16:38:11

Delighted that Elthie is going to edit our Local page and hopefully get us North Yorks lot motivated to support her.
I live in a village just outside Thirsk, and would love to join in with an occasional "meet Up"

oldgoat Mon 15-May-17 18:44:17

Elthie I would be interested in a meetup in October /November time. I am willing to travel some distance from York where I live. I've been to some Gransnet meetups in Edinburgh which I really enjoyed. We seem to have so much in common that it's easy to get along and make new friends.
I'm not sure how to get onto the N Yorks forum page though. Found this one by chance in the Active listing.

Elthie Mon 15-May-17 19:58:20

Oldgoat, when you type in the local site there are some red triangles top right of screen as you look at it. One is local forums. Hope this helps smile

Pittcity Wed 17-May-17 06:34:37

Just popping over from Essex to say Hello Elthie
Now that DH has retired perhaps we will visit some time.

PoshGran Wed 17-May-17 20:11:04

Hi Elthie
Have made provisional booking of our favourite Wensleydale-based holiday accommodation from Fri 27 Oct to Fri 10 Nov.
I think this is our 9th visit to this particular place; we've also stayed in Newbiggin(Bishopdale), Hawes, Countersett, Constable Burton, West Witton, Castle Bolton, Woodhall, Leyburn & Keld.
We don't "do" hot weather; walking in heat is too uncomfortable for us. We introduced DD & SiL to the area for TDF, but melted domewhat! Autumnal visits, when the colours are still good - even if covered by snowfall for a day, which occurred last year - suit us best.

Now I really must get my new Altbergs (Richmond boots) properly broken in - on the Cambridgeshire "hills"! grin

PoshGran Wed 17-May-17 20:14:12

"domewhat"? hmm try "somewhat"

Elthie Thu 18-May-17 00:01:58

Kupari, was it you who sent me an e mail? I have replied from here. Did you get it ? it is the first time I have used the mail from here so just checking it works

Elthie Thu 18-May-17 23:58:58

That's something to look forward to PoshGran. Wensleydale is beautiful. I don't like the cold though, unlike you I like it hot :-)

Lizzie12 Mon 22-May-17 14:30:08

Welcome Elthie

Its good to hear you have taken on the role of our local North Yorkshire editor. I wish you well in your new role.

I have lived in Harrogate, North Yorks, for nearly 40 years and I can definitely agree with the numerous national polls which consistently find Harrogate to be one of the happiest places to live and bring up a family!

If you are planning any local meetups I would be very interested.

Elthie Mon 22-May-17 19:36:11

That's great Lizzie. Once we have a few regular posters we can sort something out

Valbeasixties Tue 23-May-17 05:58:42

Lovely to be able to drop into our local site again!
I live in Sleights near Whitby and just love being retired from teaching, filling my days with going to the gym, French group, volunteering in the RNLI museum shop in Whitby and enjoying activities through Yorkshire Countrywomen's association. Is anyone else a member?
We look after our grandaughter part of the school holidays, love days out and holidays and collect antiques.
Welcome to Elthie and I look forward to getting to know local Gransnetters.
Val

gardenoma Tue 06-Jun-17 15:21:29

Hi Elthie
What a nice surprise to see there is a local site for n.yorks again, welcome and thanks for taking on the role of n.y editor in chief.
I haven't been on gransnet a lot as I found it often not relevant to anything local but will be dropping in again now. Yep, I'm up for possible meetings or outings.
Btw I live in a small village nr Northallerton and am still discovering this part of the country, and what a beautiful area it is. I feel lucky to have landed here after my life's travels.

GiovaneDiSpirito Tue 20-Jun-17 18:35:08

Elthie - Until I heard from you by pm I had forgotten all about the local Gransnet. Like Oldgoat it takes me a while to get on to it, I go through 'Local', then eventually click on 'England' then 'North Yorkshire'. Is there a quicker,more direct route? Then I would feel more in touch.