Gransnet forums

News & politics

Osborne's Budget - looks like pensioners will lose out the most

(247 Posts)
bakergran Wed 21-Mar-12 14:07:59

I have been watching the BBC coverage of the Budget. It looks like all the benefits that are being made are going to be funded by freezing pensioners' tax allowances - under the guise of 'simplification'.

Treasury figures show that this will raise £1billion for the Treasury, according to Nick Robinson.

I'm never sure how much these things will affect my day to day life, but it does seem certain that - after dismantling the NHS that so many of us will rely upon in the years to come - this government is now penalising pensioners to help them out of the mess the bankers got us into.

JessM Thu 22-Mar-12 06:40:24

I agree it was a sneaky bit of patronising to imply that it was kind to pensioners to let 'em off filling in a self assessment form. Cheap shot.
What I am intrigued by is why both sides are always banging on about "hard working families" and the "squeezed middle". Yes I know the middle income people with kids are finding it hard, but are they the floating voters? Is that it? Are we too unfloating for our own good?

Carol Thu 22-Mar-12 06:54:51

I think they'll find us floating off elsewhere if they don't do some rapid repair work!

Mamie Thu 22-Mar-12 06:57:07

I think the point is that it is the contrast between the richest getting a tax break and the pensioners (and others) losing out that is so appalling.

Petal539 Thu 22-Mar-12 07:19:13

Obviously you arent affected? And yes, it is scary that we are up against a rock and a hard place, because who are we going to turn to ....LABOUR????!

JessM Thu 22-Mar-12 07:37:31

Presumably that was directed at kitty ?
It is a valid question kitty as are all questions.
I don't know but I am guessing it is the "squeezed pensioner" that is affected by this current move. Not the ones that are paying no tax and not the ones who have such big pensions they are not going to notice.

bluebell Thu 22-Mar-12 07:46:04

What's the reason why older people should have higher personal tax allowances in the first place? Just asking?

Notsogrand Thu 22-Mar-12 07:58:54

There seem so to be so many online interpretations of the pension changes, it's difficult to form a clear view.
My understanding is that the changes will not be taking anything away from what pensioners already have. In fact, with rises in personal allowances and increased pension rates, many pensioners will be better off.
I think the changes to age related allowance will mean additional money that would have been expected, will no longer be available. So no reduction in what is received, just no increase via that route.

On another point, the taxes and NI contributions we paid throughout our working lives, were to fund the pensioners and unemployed etc at that time, it wasn't set aside for us to access now. Equally, the taxes and NI contributions now paid by our sons and daughters is where the money is coming from to pay our pensions and benefits.

Valeman Thu 22-Mar-12 08:09:37

Like lots of people nearing retirement I have been looking at my income. Retiring in October next year I will be paying £260 more income tax than I expected. Bad enough but look at a pensioner retiring from next year with combined pensions of £9,205. This group will suffer a marginal tax rate of 100%. The Chancellor will take back a pound for every pound of cost of living increase. Pensioners at this level are likely to have their pensions frozen for life. Courtesy of the Chancellor.
Millionaires 45% tax, pensioners 100% tax. Shame on you George Osborne

Jacey Thu 22-Mar-12 08:10:45

Perhaps the reason we are so cross (?) is that the rich have been given back what would seem to be £10,000 +per annum due to their drop in taxation?

Life isn't fair ...but this was so insensitive to so many across all age ranges.

However ...we've all done a lot on here (and seemingly other forums) to raise the present air temperature!! But what are we ...as a group ...actually going to do to be more pro-active in this matter. I think only one person has made a proactive suggestion ...writing to our MPs!! Well it is a start.

Any other ideas?

glammanana Thu 22-Mar-12 08:14:42

Just seen Geraldene to be interviewed on Sky V at 8.30am.

glassortwo Thu 22-Mar-12 08:16:58

jacey writing to our MP is a start, we should be seen to be fighting back.

seanaither Thu 22-Mar-12 08:18:36

The tax on pensioners is rightly causing a storm - it seems incredible that Osborne thinks he can get away with it. Pleased to see the National Pensioners Convention kicking up a stink, but what's happened to Age UK? They're absolutely muted, calling it a disappointment for pensioners. Are they kidding?

Annobel Thu 22-Mar-12 08:34:25

It's not just pensioners who are being fleeced. The coalition leadership is shouting about how the raising of the tax threshold will give 'hard-working families' an improved income:

'The winners are over 20m basic rate taxpayers who will be £220 better off because of what we have just announced in the Budget today'. (Nick Clegg, who else?)

The crafty move was that they announced tax credit changes before yesterday's budget. According to the Child Poverty Action Group:

'A couple with children, one working 20 hours on minimum wage will
lose £74.34 a week'. (cpag.org.uk)

petallus Thu 22-Mar-12 08:48:57

That last statistic mentioned by Annobel seems shocking to me. They are losing more in a week than we are losing in a year.

petallus Thu 22-Mar-12 09:05:28

Oh, I've just noticed that new pensioners will lose £197 a year, less than £4 a week. Am I missing something?

davidgolfmaniac Thu 22-Mar-12 09:18:13

I have just been watching Osborne waffling his way through his raid on pensioners.
does he think that we are all fools. Freezing the tax allowances is a method of increasing the cost of living for pensioners. He has totally ignored the fact that inflation is currently running at between 3% & 4%.
His claim that he has just given the largest pension increase in history is total nonsense. The increase was generated by the RPI last September. This increase would have been more if he had not changed the method of calculating the annual cost of living %age rise.
As for saying that by cutting the top rate of 50% to 45% will increase the amount of tax collected fivefold because these top earners will not use the tax
avoidance methods they are currently employing is sheer arrogance.
Bear in mind that a person earning £1,000,000 will now be better off by
£42,500 or £817 per week. Just imagine that we are "all in this together"
or is just that some are more in it than others?
Bring on the next election.

nanachrissy Thu 22-Mar-12 09:33:37

Well, it's getting crowded here under the table, so what can we do? I don't think they will take any notice of letters to our MPs.

Maybe we should take to the streets and demonstrate! hmm

GreyRosie Thu 22-Mar-12 09:36:12

All you grey voters out there, I suggest we refuse to vote in the next General Election. They might take notice of us then.

GoldenGran Thu 22-Mar-12 09:36:19

kitty well said, can I come in under the table too, I've lost a bit of weight so I think I won't squash anyone.

petallus Thu 22-Mar-12 09:49:57

Is the under the table community for those of us who are not sure what all the fuss is about? If so, move over.

Carol Thu 22-Mar-12 09:55:20

Refusing to vote will work in the the tories' favour - we need MORE people to vote, especially the elderly.

nanachrissy Thu 22-Mar-12 09:55:39

As long as they are still getting the obscene expenses, I don't think they give a monkeys about us. angry

nanachrissy Thu 22-Mar-12 09:57:49

Sorry Carol I aint voting labour after the last lot! (ducks back under table)

geejay Thu 22-Mar-12 09:58:38

Is it not also the case that those poorest pensioners at the moment - those receiving Pension Credit in addition to their Retiirement Pension,
will be even more worse off.

At the moment as I understand it, they would get a maximum off £137.35 RP + PC. In April that becomes £142.65 and by April 2013, would probably be close to £147.

With the new flat-rate all-in pension set at £140, coming in in 2013/14. Those pensioners receiving RP + PC, face a £7 cut, to £140. About £350 a year.

I strongly suspect that by then, the Winter Fuel Allowance will also have been done away with or as the government will put it, be included in this new flat-rate £140 pension. That's another £250 gone. With the previous £350, it makes a £600 cut.

So how does this make pensioners better off?

NewGranLin Thu 22-Mar-12 10:05:53

Putting my head above the parapet, I agree with amelianne. The state pension has increased in the last two years - significantly more than the 75p insult made by Labour, so even with the change to tax allowances, we will be slightly better off. I have only recently retired, but find I have more disposable income than before - it costs money to go to work. I know a huge number of pensioners and none of them seem to be struggling - quite the reverse - and this includes my Mum who only has a state pension. As grandparents, we should realise that the young parents with children need the help more. Now heading back under the parapet.