Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yvette Cooper, live webchat, Tuesday 10 July, 1-2pm

(88 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 28-Jun-12 20:31:27

Yvette Cooper is the Shadow Home Secretary, Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities and one of the most important figures in the current Labour Party, often tipped as a future leader. She has a particular interest in what she calls the stretched generation - looking after elderly parents, helping out with grandchildren, worrying about pensions. She's a mother of three and, with her husband Ed Balls, she's half of the first married couple to serve in the British cabinet.

We're delighted that she's coming in for a webchat. Please ask your questions here.

troubadour Tue 10-Jul-12 13:45:53

I have been concerned about the Labour Party's move towards saying that immigration is A Bad Thing. I know this is a populist line in some areas but surely the argument needs to be made that immigrants bring things to the country - always have done - and often do difficult jobs. Many care homes would simply stop functioning without immigrant, and often very caring, workers.

As shadow home secretary, are you going to go along with the immigrant-bashing or are you prepared to make the difficult arguments?

YvetteCooper Tue 10-Jul-12 13:47:54

JessM

The problem is Yvette that now this hare has been set running - baby boomers are ripping off younger generations - that people are starting to believe it. This lunchtime on You and Yours there was a programme about employment for older people and they read out a letter from a resentful 28 year old which was almost vitriolic. It seems that the Tories are trying to soften up the population to believe this myth. There are millions of middle aged and older people who have not had great careers and have not cashed in on the property boom.
The You and Yours busted a lot of myths. Worth a listen.
Any ideas how Labour can combat this big divisive myth that we are all in clover to the detriment of 28 year olds?

No one doubts there is clearly a serious problem for young people at the moment. Youth unemployment is through the roof, EMAs have been cut and tuition fees are rocketing. And we remember the problems of the 1980s when a "lost generation" then found it even harder to get work later on.

But blaming baby boomers or stoking up intergenerational strife as Mamie mentioned earlier is complete rubbish.

Look at the facts. Women in their fifties and sixties have seen a 39% increase in unemployment in the last two years compared to an increase for the population as a whole of 5%. Changes to the state retirement age mean women in their mid fifties are hardest hit losing around £8,000 with little time to change their retirement or pension plans to compensate. And most people in the baby boomer generation are working extremely hard to support other generations of their own families -- they are the first generation to have had to cope with caring for elderly parents on such a massive scale.

YvetteCooper Tue 10-Jul-12 13:53:31

Barrow

I have always voted, always for the person not the party, but now for the first time I am so disillusioned with the current crop of politicians. I grew up in a home where my Father was a union activist and campaigned for the Labour candidates in elections. He felt that voting was really important but I now feel that no matter who I vote for nothing will change, no-one will listen to what the public actually wants and politicians of every party and merely looking out for themselves. What do you think politicians can do to recitify this feeling not just in me but in many of my friends.

Politics does make a difference but you are right we have to work to make it more relevant. Voting Labour in 1997 meant we were able to bring in the National Minimum Wage and Sure Start -- very different to the Conservatives plans at the time. And right now I strongly disagree with the Conservatives over their costly reorganisation of the NHS which is putting more emphasis on income from the private sector; Labour has said we would repeal the NHS Reform Bill. So I hope we can persuade you that there is more to politics and that it is worth voting because I think there's a lot at stake for the country.

jessieg Tue 10-Jul-12 13:53:36

Do you really think Ed M is the best person to be leading the Labour Party right now?

upwardsandonwards Tue 10-Jul-12 13:55:24

Is it difficult for you and your husband, both having such big and demanding jobs, especially when so much of politics is about who's up and who's down? How do you avoid being competitive with each other?

YvetteCooper Tue 10-Jul-12 14:00:51

goodenoughgran

It looks as though the government isn't going to do anything about funding social care. Do you agree that this is one of the most urgent social problems we face - and what would Labour do?

Does the 'death tax' now look like a dreadful lost opportunity?

I do think this is one of the most urgent social problems we face - in fact I think it is a growing crisis.

We wanted cross party talks on this, because we know there aren't easy answers, reforms need to be substantial and long term. I think the Dilnot Commission was a very good starting point for those cross party discussions and we should be trying to build a consensus. It is disappointing that Andrew Lansley has pulled out of those discussions and we expect the government to announce tomorrow that major changes will now not take place at all in this Parliament. The trouble is that the pressures are growing all the time. Councils have cut social care heavily and more and more people need support. So we'll see what the government puts forward tomorrow, but I think we are going to need more rapid action -- including legislation in this Parliament not the next one.

YvetteCooper Tue 10-Jul-12 14:08:26

Iwasframed

Hi Yvette,

Isn't the flipped side of the stretched generation that men still aren't doing enough? How do we do something to change that?

There is a big gap still for men and women in their fifties and sixties -- with full time women earning on average £4,500 a year less than full time men. Interestingly women are also more likely to work beyond the state retirement age than men, and they are much less likely to be in well paid jobs if they do so. Two thirds of men who work beyond the retirement age are in high skilled jobs. Two thirds of women who work beyond the retirement age are in low skilled jobs.

My sense is that men of all generations are doing more in the family than they were twenty years ago. When I do school gate surgeries in my constituency more and more grandfathers are picking up the children after school as well as fathers and grandmothers. But we know there is still a big difference. I think we should be making it easier and much more common for men to do more in the family throughout their lives - including encouraging paternity leave and flexible parental leave.

YvetteCooper Tue 10-Jul-12 14:13:19

frantick

I believe the editor of Vogue has said you are the woman she would most like to see in her magazine. Are you interested in clothes? Is it something you would ever do?

I'm wearing a stripey Marks & Spencers dress today -- which I really like. Though with Kate Bostock's departure today, I hope I'm not in a minority.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 10-Jul-12 14:16:04

Sadly, Yvette's got to go now. Thanks so much to her for coming in. Gransnet is going to be launching a survey later today on issues faced by middle aged women - we'll be starting a thread.

In the mean time, thanks to Yvette for coming in and telling us where her lovely dress came from smile and for her many thought-provoking answers to our questions.

YvetteCooper Tue 10-Jul-12 14:18:06

Thank you to everyone, sorry I didn't get through all the questions.

I hope lots of people will respond to the Gransnet survey. Many Labour MPs are also doing surveys of the views and concerns of women in their fifties and sixties over the summer because we want this to be an important theme at Labour Party Conference in the autumn when we hope to set out more details about the Older Women's Commission too.

(And thank you to Gransnet for the tea and sandwich too)

POGS Tue 10-Jul-12 15:32:06

I'm sorry but I for one have found this to be very poor in the reply stakes.
It has confirmed my point on politicians, all spin and hypocrisy.

At least Ann Widdicombe (sorry don't know how to spell her name).answered all the questions and didn't cherry pick them either.

A bit of a waste of time asking her thoughts for most of us. I feel a bit cheated.

I apologise if I got the wrong end of the stick for the value of this type of interview, perhaps I expected too much.

Anagram Tue 10-Jul-12 15:51:00

I agree, her answers were very predictable and full of politician-speak.

Ella46 Tue 10-Jul-12 16:08:18

Nothing new there then!

merlotgran Tue 10-Jul-12 16:09:23

I agree POGS I totted up ten questions answered so I think she allowed 6 mins per answer and that's your lot! Anne Widdicombe belted out the answers. She was great. I suppose if you go into a chatroom with a politician this is what you can expect.

rosiemus Tue 10-Jul-12 16:20:52

Although...Vince Cable answered tons of them (including mine grin) so maybe not all politicians... http://www.gransnet.com/webchats/vince-cable-mp

rosiemus Tue 10-Jul-12 16:21:19

Oh I forgot to do the link thing

www.gransnet.com/webchats/vince-cable-mp

Barrow Tue 10-Jul-12 16:21:42

Yes I have to agree, there were no real answers at all, she failed to address the things that worry most of us gransnetters, instead using the time to spout the same dreary lines we are all fed up of hearing. Total waste of time.

JessM Tue 10-Jul-12 16:28:36

slow typist! needs to join a forum and speed up a bit.

Barrow Tue 10-Jul-12 16:30:19

Perhaps she could have dictated her answers and someone at GNHQ could have typed them in for her grin

Gally Tue 10-Jul-12 16:34:17

Nope, no real answers, although we do know she likes growing vegetables. I STILL don't know where Gordon Brown is - or what he's doing!! Possibly best not to know although I wish he'd resign and let someone take over his salary and do something for his constituents grin

Anagram Tue 10-Jul-12 16:38:06

Yes - and he's very rarely seen in Parliament, even for important votes.
(She didn't answer my question about Ed's haircut, either! grin)

JessM Tue 10-Jul-12 16:50:02

She always looks knackered. Less so that she did in government, but still, knackered.

Mamie Tue 10-Jul-12 16:58:02

I thought her answers were OK on the subject she had come to talk about. I wouldn't expect her to answer questions about other politicians, including Ed Balls. Why should she?

Anagram Tue 10-Jul-12 16:59:26

'Twas only a joke, Mamie! Of course I didn't expect her to answer - although it would have made her seem more human if she'd shown a sense of humour...hmm

Mamie Tue 10-Jul-12 17:07:48

No wasn't yours Anagram - it was another one which was much more political.