Gransnet forums

News & politics

Life after 100

(4 Posts)
Mamie Sat 30-Jun-12 09:37:29

Thought this was an interesting article in today's Guardian:
www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/29/conversation-life-after-age-100

Greatnan Sat 30-Jun-12 10:08:50

More than interesting, Mamie -inspiring! I am nearly 72 and I keep wondering when I will start to feel old. I hope I do live to a great age, as I want to see how life turns out for my many grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I am also curious about advances in science and medicine and I am still discovering new writers. My only proviso is that I don't want to live if I develop dementia and begin to lose my personality - my daughter knows my wishes in this regard. I don't think I would mind being physically disabled as long as it did not place too much of a burden on my family.

That nursing home sounds very good - I don't think they are all like that, unfortunately.

(What a pity nobody told that lady about talking books - they can be borrowed from most libraries.)

susiecb Sat 30-Jun-12 10:22:51

MY MIL is 99 in December has all her faculties has only a small gastro intestinal problem and has just strated getting a little unsteay and needing a stick - we want her to have some help so she doesnt fall. She has only just started getting some help with her housework.

Ariadne Sat 30-Jun-12 14:32:16

Thank you, Mamie. That was interesting reading; good to hear such articulate and thoughtful ladies. Agree with Greatnan though - talking books would be invaluable to her.