Gransnet forums

News & politics

US astronaut Neil Armstrong dies, first man on Moon

(10 Posts)
dorsetpennt Wed 29-Aug-12 19:48:24

I remember watching it live on tv, such grainy pictures but we could just see Neil Armstrong walking on the moon. I was in my early 20's and newly married. We went into the back garden to look at the moon it was mind boggling to think that two people were walking about on it. After that we watched many such space landings etc. Do you remember when the crew of Apollo 13 was nearly lost and the relief we felt when they returned safely back to earth. A true American Hero R.I.P. Neil Armstrong

harrigran Sat 25-Aug-12 23:57:48

My DD was four months old and she was lying on a blanket in front of the TV, we took her photo with the landing craft on the screen.

jeni Sat 25-Aug-12 23:19:29

Whitlow!

numberplease Sat 25-Aug-12 23:06:02

My hubby was sorting out a wicklow (sp) on my finger whilst watching the moon landing, first time we`d ever stayed up that late.

nanaej Sat 25-Aug-12 22:47:14

It such an amazing event! My little brothers played space men for months!

annodomini Sat 25-Aug-12 22:37:34

I was in bed with cystitis. Didn't have a TV in my little house on the school campus in Kenya. Terrible to have missed one of the landmark events of 20th Century!

jeni Sat 25-Aug-12 22:16:13

We actually closed the surgery! First closure in daytime ever!

merlotgran Sat 25-Aug-12 21:28:30

I was feeding my two month old DD and glad of an excuse to bag the armchair in front of the telly. We'd just moved from a tiny flat into a farm cottage and didn't have much in the way of furniture.

Another passing of a piece of history

yogagran Sat 25-Aug-12 21:24:52

It seems like yesterday, we all got so excited about it and I still have the newspaper with the moon landing headlines!
RIP Neil Armstrong

PS - Wonder if he's gone to Heaven, he'll feel quite at home up there

Annika Sat 25-Aug-12 21:06:11

I can remember watching the landing on the moon live on a black and white tv with my dear dad. It was on 20 July 1969.
R.I.P Neil Armstrong