Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ffeinnes - admirable or daft?

(81 Posts)
JessM Tue 18-Sep-12 18:38:18

Reckless Ranulph is planning to walk across Antarctica, in the winter - constant darkness, several tens of degrees below freezing - you know the kind of thing.
Is this an admirable venture for someone in his late 60s or is he bloody daft so-and-so that cannot accept that this is probably a daft thing to do at his age, and may endanger the lives of others if he has to be rescued?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19609293

Mads Thu 28-Feb-13 12:52:39

He is just following his dreams. Do dreams have to stop just because one reaches a certain age? Mads

Eloethan Tue 26-Feb-13 15:13:26

There's surely a happy medium between pigging out in front of the TV and walking across Antarctica. If he wasn't getting all the media attention, would he do it? I'm fed up with hearing about people engaging in dangerous and pointless activities, and often putting others at risk when things go wrong. If they want to do something challenging, do something useful.

Bags Tue 26-Feb-13 07:17:58

Seems I'm being unkind. When something like this happens, it's called an "equipment failure", according to DH, because you can only do the kind of repair that was necessary with your bare hands.

Beaten by indifferent Nature, then.

Bags Tue 26-Feb-13 06:09:56

Seems he has pulled out because of frostbite, which he has suffered before, I think. You'd think he would realise by now, with all his experience, that anyone who works with bare hands in temperatures thirty degrees below zero will have a problem or two confused

Mishap Thu 27-Sep-12 22:14:15

Some other poor souls will have to risk their lives to rescue him if he comes a cropper!

JO4 Thu 27-Sep-12 21:40:21

Can you tell I don't care?

JO4 Thu 27-Sep-12 21:39:16

Each to his/her own I say. Live and let live. (sorry for the platitudes)

My son used to be, probably still is, a great admirer of his.

crimson Thu 27-Sep-12 20:44:25

When Tony McCoy broke his back after a fall and wanted to get back riding as soon as possible on of the things he did was go into a freezing cold room and subject his body to freezing temperatures. It did work [he was riding again in no time, being McCoy] but he didn't spend all that much time in the freezing room. I'm not sure how it helped but it was part of the treatment.

Carpathia Thu 27-Sep-12 09:30:13

No me, Oldgreymare! but I'm not a scientist. They are interested in the most extraordinary things, and who knows what knowledge will have value in the future?

Oldgreymare Wed 26-Sep-12 23:32:32

Hello Carpathia at risk of appearing a luddite, I still fail to see how subjecting a body to the sort of temperatures that no-one else is likely to encounter can possibly be of scientific interest.
I wish the participants well.

Carpathia Wed 26-Sep-12 13:39:18

Ran's going with a much younger man, so between the two of them, yes, Oldgreymare! More so than with two young men - the contrast will be extra valuable. And for those concerned with gerontology, Ran alone will produce some useful results.

Oldgreymare Tue 25-Sep-12 23:39:29

The OG's Aunt intended that, after her death, her body be used for scientific research.
Her daughter attempted to carry out her mothers wishes, only to be told that the 'old girl' was too old!
Will the effects of extreme cold on the body of a 68 year old advance the progress of scientific research, I wonder? hmm

Carpathia Tue 25-Sep-12 14:28:41

Chortling at the misanthropy posts!

Ran's trek will be filmed because part of the reason for going is to see what happens to the human body at those temperatures. He's not pretending otherwise - if people can't keep up to date with progress they won't be motivated to give to the charity, for one thing. Whether they're taking a film crew or filming themselves with digital cameras I don't know. Maybe cameras won't work below certain temperatures.

As for liking the expedition - I support him wholeheartedly, but I won't pretend to like it, and I'll worry about him, as will all his family and friends, until we know he's safe again. Is this an extreme reality show? If you like watching people suffer (albeit of their own choice) this will be the one to watch...

NB No penguins away from the coast - nothing survives on the continent itself without massive life support.

crimson Sat 22-Sep-12 17:36:04

I think Palin did a series or two too many but enjoyed the first few. I must admit to not making a point of watching the 'worst roads' series but not being able to stop watching if I came upon it by accident [being a somewhat nervous driver and even worse passenger]. The first Ewan McGregor one was good as well. I suppose the Antractic ones don't hold my attention because I like finding out about other cultures [some tv presenters are very good at that] and I can only see so many penguins without getting a bit bored. Always more interesting if they use huskies [Benedict Allen [sigh] used animals to gain my attention; the best was the series where he made friends with lots of camels]. I'm not obsesed...honest wink...

Greatnan Sat 22-Sep-12 17:12:33

Well, since we have gone slightly off topic - I hate those reality shows, like Palin in the Sahara, and the one about driving on the world's worst roads, when they are supposed to be alone and are obviously accompanied by back-up trucks and photographers. We are not daft!

Greatnan Sat 22-Sep-12 17:07:01

I love words - and maps. When I was a child I used to read dictionaries and atlases instead of children' books.

annodomini Sat 22-Sep-12 14:15:12

I have just found it in my 1999 edition of the Concise Oxford Dictionary. Was going to email Susie Dent, but won't bother now. By 1999 they must have had some female lexicographers.

crimson Sat 22-Sep-12 13:52:13

Misandry not in my scruffy old Oxford dictionary [tried to throw it away when I bought a new one but it somehow wouldn't stay in the bin so out it came again]. Think all dictionaries were written by men until recently. Like 'how can they possibly not like us confused...?

annodomini Sat 22-Sep-12 13:26:10

That's right Greatnan. Apparently, although misandry isn't a new concept the word didn't appear in dictionaries until relatively recently. As anthropology is the study of humanity, so misanthropy is dislike of one's fellow humans. Philanthropy is love of them but generally used in a charitable context.

Greatnan Sat 22-Sep-12 13:07:35

It comes from the greek - the same as polyandry which means a marriage of one woman with two or more men.
Misogynist is an irrational hatred of women, and misanthropy means you hate everyone!

Nanadogsbody Sat 22-Sep-12 11:01:09

Well, misanthrope has been around for ages. I studied Molliere and he was 17th century, I think? So I imagine these words are also French in origin.

crimson Sat 22-Sep-12 10:34:22

Is misandry a fairly new word, Greatnan? I only ask once because I read once that there was not an equivalent word for misogyny.

Greatnan Sat 22-Sep-12 10:25:13

Misandry - hatred of men and boys! I did have a touch of this until I had grandsons and a lovely son-in-law and grandson-in-law - my experiences with my own father , brother and husband and two brothers-in-law and two sons-in-law had not left me with a lot of respect for men, and I am still rather dubious about most men of my age. I am very optimistic about the younger generations though, as they seem much more open-minded and willing to share.

Oldgreymare Sat 22-Sep-12 10:02:23

Carpathia thanks for your info, I have now 'googled' your friend's profile and accept that he has shown bravery, tenacity and an amazing adventurous spirit. I still feel that this is one expedition too far, tho' and that he could raise money for charity in many other ways.
Jess grin

Ana Fri 21-Sep-12 21:59:34

Gransnet is open to all, johanna, not just grandparents and not just women! I think I understand what you mean, though...