Gransnet forums

News & politics

Freeman’s Children’s Heart Unit is at risk of closure – again!

(15 Posts)
glassortwo Thu 25-Oct-12 11:38:08

Freeman’s Children’s Heart Unit in Newcastle is at risk of closure – again.

As this is a world leading unit that serves our local area, and one which we are proud to have in the North East, should you wish to sign the petition and/or pass this on to others then please do so through the link below:

This is very close to my heart my DN little boy who is almost 2yrs old had major heart surgery at 2 weeks old and is having ongoing treatment at the Freeman Heart unit, we feel that if it had not been for the dedicated staff at the Freeman he would not be the delightful little boy he is. Thank you.

epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40685

Notsogrand Thu 25-Oct-12 11:43:25

Signed

gracesmum Thu 25-Oct-12 11:55:05

A friend's daughter had a heart transplant there not many years after DH's liver transplant in London so about 10 years ago. She was in her teens and it simply saved her life - now healthy, married, career etc

absentgrana Thu 25-Oct-12 11:55:25

Signed but I had to do the letters and numbers bit eight times. I feel a complete fool.

glassortwo Thu 25-Oct-12 11:56:47

absent it took me 3 times blush they are the most ridiculous things invented!!!

gracesmum Thu 25-Oct-12 11:58:56

Signed and shared on fb

glassortwo Thu 25-Oct-12 12:02:19

Thanks grace for sharing with FB.

moomin Thu 25-Oct-12 12:02:44

Signed and posted on FB

Sook Thu 25-Oct-12 12:58:22

Signed and shared

janeainsworth Thu 25-Oct-12 13:07:23

The worst of it is that back in July, the Freeman was told they had been selected to be one of the units to remain open.
The review has been re-opened, presumably at further cost to the taxpayer, because supporters of other units have appealed.
I wish the first review had just had the courage of its convictions and said their decision was final. Everyone has had their say, the evidence has been weighed, and to prolong matters like this is just prolonging the uncertainty and heartache for patients and their families, staff and supporters and using resources that could be much better spent on other things.

glassortwo Thu 25-Oct-12 13:37:24

Exactly jane well said.

Marelli Thu 25-Oct-12 14:43:45

Signed and shared on Facebook. smile

gillybob Thu 25-Oct-12 14:57:01

Signed glass Why cant they just leave this wonderful facility alone.

Couldn't agree more jane

Jendurham Thu 25-Oct-12 14:57:16

Have signed it. When I saw the complaints by those in Leicestershire wanting to keep theirs open, one reason was that Newcastle, i.e. the Freeman, was too far away. I think they need to look at a map, as do those in Leeds. They are keeping open the ones in Liverpool ( straight along the M62 to Leeds) and Birmingham ( less than 30 miles from Leicester).
If they close the Freeman, the nearest one for anyone in the North East and West would be Leeds. In fact the main reason for keeping open the Freeman is that it is one of only two centres that do heart transplants in young children.

glassortwo Sat 27-Oct-12 16:01:51

bump