Gransnet forums

News & politics

A mess of potage.

(3 Posts)
Greatnan Mon 05-Nov-12 08:01:49

UK universities have awarded honorary degrees to some very questionable people - such as Gaddafi - in return for large donations.
Cameron is currently wooing some of the regimes in the Middle East in order to obtain contracts. Many of these states have appalling human rights records, do not treat women as equals of men, and treat their immigrant workers worse than their animals. Blair squashed an enquiry into corruption because it might have damaged trade relations.
Is Britain prostituting itself? The only rationalisation I have heard so far is that it might be possible to influence these tyrants if we do business with them. Do you believe that? I don't.

petallus Mon 05-Nov-12 08:26:46

Yes to the first question. No to the second.

isthisallthereis Mon 05-Nov-12 08:37:13

It was ever thus.

I have no real classical education, but I kind of feel that a Gransnet in Ancient Rome or even Ancient China might have raised exactly the same questions.

I like the idea of a Gransnet active in Ancient Rome. Would we be posting threads about how best to fatten dormice for an upcoming festival and exactly how hard to whack a slave?

And "Things You No Longer See" - those chariots with wobbly wheels, the sweets we used to get from Persia and Julius Caesar walking around with no bodyguards.