Gransnet forums

News & politics

Death penalty for gays in Uganda - urgent please

(13 Posts)
Fondasharing Thu 22-Nov-12 20:13:29

Dear friends,

In hours, Uganda could pass a law that could impose the death penalty for homosexuality. An international outcry shelved this bill last year -- we urgently need to ramp up the pressure to press President Museveni to stand up for human rights and stop this brutal law. Sign below, and tell everyone:

The Ugandan Parliament is set to pass a brutal law that could carry the death penalty for homosexuality. If they do, thousands of Ugandans could face execution -- just for being gay.

We've helped stop this bill before, and we can do it again. After a massive global outcry last year, Ugandan President Museveni blocked the bill's progress. But political unrest is mounting in Uganda, and religious extremists in Parliament are hoping confusion and violence in the streets will distract the international community from a second push to pass this hate-filled law. We can show them that the world is still watching.

We have no time to lose. Let’s get one million voices against Uganda's gay death penalty in the next 24 hours -- we'll deliver it to Uganda's leaders and key countries. Click here to take action, then forward this message to everyone:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/uganda_stop_gay_death_law/?bCzICdb&v=19428

Greatnan Thu 22-Nov-12 20:57:07

Signed - I feel very strongly about this campaign. Thanks for the link

merlotgran Thu 22-Nov-12 21:03:11

signed. Good Luck.

www.avaaz.org/en/uganda_stop_gay_death_law/?bCzICdb&v=19428

whenim64 Thu 22-Nov-12 21:22:27

Signed and shared.

Greatnan Fri 23-Nov-12 10:17:57

Bump - this is important.

Grannyknot Fri 23-Nov-12 12:20:07

I don't want to be cynical about e-petitions, but I signed this petition probably about a year ago. So did nothing happen then?

grannyactivist Fri 23-Nov-12 12:29:01

Grannyknot yes, I also signed last year's petition and it did actually help:

"We've helped stop this bill before, and we can do it again. After a massive global outcry last year, Ugandan President Museveni blocked the bill's progress. But political unrest is mounting in Uganda, and religious extremists in Parliament are hoping confusion and violence in the streets will distract the international community from a second push to pass this hate-filled law. We can show them that the world is still watching."

Sel Fri 23-Nov-12 13:50:37

Done. Hope this can be stopped.

Grannyknot Fri 23-Nov-12 16:10:32

Okay. I hope this time it's for good!

Greatnan Fri 23-Nov-12 16:43:22

I hope the Christian churches are opposing it vociferously.

jO5 Fri 23-Nov-12 16:59:11

They've got a lot of people signing. The rolling names are whizzing. V. good.

grannyactivist Fri 23-Nov-12 18:15:57

Greatnan, as I said earlier, I, and many of my Christian friends, signed this petition in its previous incarnation. There are many, many Christians and Christian organisations who have rallied to protest against this proposal. The bible is very clear; Jesus would NOT discriminate.
"There are neither Jews nor Greeks, slaves nor free people, males nor females. You are all the same in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28

Greatnan Fri 23-Nov-12 18:59:10

But what are the actual churches doing? I am sure individual Christians are doing all they can.