Gransnet forums

News & politics

New Scam

(11 Posts)
Barrow Tue 18-Dec-12 12:53:15

I have just been reading about a new scam (well new to me!). Someone rings up claiming to be from the Fraud Squad and say they think your credit/debit card has been cloned. They then ask if you have been in certain shops and when you say no they ask for details of ALL your cards in case they have been cloned too.

If you get suspicious they suggest you ring 999 and check they really are a policeman/woman. When you hang up to make the 999 call, they don't and using some sort of software, when you pick up the phone again you get a dialing tone but they are still on the line, you speak to someone who confirms they have a police officer of that name working in the Fraud Squad and who puts you through to the original scammer. They then ask for all your pin numbers and say they will send a courier to pick up your cards. Once they have your cards they go on a spree using ATMs to take money from your account.

Of course they are targeting the elderly who they think will be a bit less savvy than younger people (obviously don't read Gransnet!).

The advice I read was that if this happens don't give any details, ring the police ON A DIFFERENT PHONE. The police would never ask for details of your cards and certainly not your pin numbers, nor would they send a courier to collect them.

You may already be aware of this scam but thought I would post in just in case

Anne58 Tue 18-Dec-12 12:55:03

Sometimes instead of claiming to be police, the scammers say that they are ringing from your bank, same scam, same advice, ring your bank from a different phone.

jeni Tue 18-Dec-12 12:55:53

A new one on me! Where did you hear it?

Barrow Tue 18-Dec-12 12:56:30

Would you believe I read it in the Daily Mail shock

jeni Tue 18-Dec-12 12:57:48

Ah!

Anne58 Tue 18-Dec-12 12:59:34

It was on Radio 4's Moneybox programme about 3 weeks ago.

NemoNan Tue 18-Dec-12 14:10:45

I was just reading this myself, the link is here for anyone that hasn't seen it.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2249752/A-999-credit-card-scam-cost-thousands.html

Barrow Tue 18-Dec-12 14:16:52

Thanks NemoNam I haven't worked out how to post links (d'oh!)

NemoNan Tue 18-Dec-12 14:18:51

You're welcome Barrow smile

jeni Tue 18-Dec-12 14:30:35

I like the one about the survival shelters at the bottom of the page. I could live in one of those

Maniac Tue 18-Dec-12 21:34:08

I heard about this some months ago on the 'growingolddisgracefully website'
.We were given this advice
'The police would never ask for details of your cards and certainly not your pin numbers, nor would they send a courier to collect them'
There are some websites where one can check if a call is a hoax...can't recall right now.