Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why reports on what might happen?

(11 Posts)
Ylil Thu 17-Jan-13 18:05:18

I've got my local news on and they are reporting on what might happen with the weather ie snow, tomorrow, seems to me the news should be about what has happened today!

tanith Thu 17-Jan-13 18:18:37

Surely they are warning the public about what could become a bad situation tomorrow , much better to be prepared don't you think?

Nanado Thu 17-Jan-13 19:09:49

That's why it's called a weather forecast.

Ylil Thu 17-Jan-13 19:49:37

But it wasn't a weather forecast it was a news bulletin. Now I always thought the news was about what had happened today.

vampirequeen Fri 18-Jan-13 09:05:01

I hate it when they do non reports.

Usually they go along the lines of:

X number of people could die of influenza this winter.
The Bank of England might raise interest rates.
Terrorists might set off a dirty bomb.

None of these things are news they're just conjecture. I want the news to tell me what has happened not what something thinks might happen.

Lilygran Fri 18-Jan-13 09:31:48

It seems to me that a lot of what passes for 'news' these days is really speculation, comment and gossip! When it is 'news', like the dreadful business in Algeria or the helicopter crash, there is really only a couple of statements that can be made but it goes on and on....respectable newspapers still make a difference between speculation and actuality but increasingly this difference is being blurred.

Ylil Fri 18-Jan-13 09:49:44

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

annodomini Fri 18-Jan-13 09:57:15

News Report: David Cameron will make a speech...
New News Report: David Cameron won't make a speech...

Lilygran Fri 18-Jan-13 10:57:38

annogrin.

Lilygran Fri 18-Jan-13 10:58:21

And the speech he isn't going to make has already been leaked!

Nelliemoser Sat 19-Jan-13 00:28:03

To give reporters something to ramble on about on a snowy Friday. Its like the endless and pointless speculations on 24 hour news stations. Proper news programs with informed comment yes. Reporters and presenter whittering on because they have space to fill is just plain daft.