Gransnet forums

News & politics

Saga zone forum

(96 Posts)
Barrow Wed 06-Feb-13 14:40:51

Apparently the Saga Zone forum has been closed down because of "bullying and offensive posts". There is some speculation that the site was taken over by trolls. I have visited the site in the past (before I discovered Gransnet!) and found the members very supportive.

j08 Thu 07-Feb-13 13:10:36

absent I could say, some folks like arse licking sucking up. But I won't.

whenim64 Thu 07-Feb-13 13:18:26

Ha ha!! Jingle You won't get a rise out of me grin

Barrow Thu 07-Feb-13 13:20:01

There have been many times when I have felt annoyance at the way a thread is going but I then stop reading that thread and look at other things. Getting annoyed at someone who you have never met and are unlikely to meet is pointless. Having said that no-one has attacked me or my views (many may disagree with me but that is different).

Movedalot Thu 07-Feb-13 13:25:21

I agree with Jess some people do seem to get their kicks by upsetting others. I really feel sorry for them as they must have sad little lives but that doesn't mean I have sympathy for their actions. sad

janthea Thu 07-Feb-13 13:42:28

The majority of us are just virtual friends and will probably never meet. That's why I can't get upset over something someone as written about me or something that I disagree with or makes a rude comment. I just don't bother replying

I feel sorry for those who are actual friends and have met in real life when it turns nasty on the forums. Shouldn't happen.

I find the forums very interesting, useful, thought provoking, funny. It's useful when you have a query and need an answer. Someone always comes up trumps. Many of the threads make me laugh out loud and some make me feel sorry for the OP. I enjoy contributing when I have the time, but they are not my real life! smile

Grannylin Thu 07-Feb-13 13:59:07

My perspective too, jantheasunshine

hummingbird Thu 07-Feb-13 14:54:55

I really don't understand how the lovely, sane, wise and eminently sensible women who use this site allow themselves to get involved in those ridiculous threads. I'm not talking here about the interesting and stimulating debate that takes place - it wouldn't be our Gransnet in that case! - but I, (and presumably, many like me), simply watch the drama unfold from behind the sofa. Some contributors clearly interject to try and resolve the issues, but it never works. I understand the temptation to throw yer penn'orth in, but can equally see the futilty of it. So, my suggestion is, for the good of our lovely site, starve these troublesome threads of their lifeblood by simply NOT POSTING ANYTHING on them! Don't respond, don't take the bait, simply ignore them. Start another one on a less contentious subject! grin

Greatnan Thu 07-Feb-13 15:10:50

hummingbird - I agree with you. If you say nothing, nobody can castigate you. It is quite difficult when people keep on having little digs, but I am now quite used to ignoring them and I am much happier. smile

Movedalot Thu 07-Feb-13 15:52:01

It is interesting that some of the people who cause the most upsets will post their unpleasant comments but as soon as they are challenged or asked to apologise for their falsehoods they suddenly decide to leave the thread!

absent Thu 07-Feb-13 15:59:56

Movedalot If you know someone is lying when they post, surely you should report it to GNHQ, rather than demand an apology. I can't say that I have noticed any challenges to tellers of falsehoods or indeed become aware of any falsehoods (apart from the recent Great Hoodwink about which we shall all say no more).

hummingbird Thu 07-Feb-13 16:04:27

Yes, Greatnan, I've noticed that you've been staying out of the contentious threads - I bet you've had to sit on your hands at times. And yes, Movedalot, I think some people like to light the touch paper and then stand back to watch the fireworks. All the more reason to simply ignore it. Let's see if a new approach stops it! [fingers crossed emoticon]

Movedalot Thu 07-Feb-13 16:06:46

IMO it is false to misquote someone in order to make it look as if they said something totally different to what they actually said. It has happened to me and always by the same people. No point in reporting it though as I am sure many other GNs will have noticed and are well aware that this happens and it doesn't bother me much. Maybe I would report it if I felt it was being done to a new poster who was not used to this silly behaviour.

absent Thu 07-Feb-13 16:15:41

Movedalot It is possible that sometimes a post is ambiguous or even totally contradictory and interpreting it differently from the poster's intention is not a deliberate lie, but simply the result of confusion. I do realise that it is very irritating: I remember someone who is no longer a member constantly misrepresenting one of my posts in spite of my reducing it to simpler and simpler words and making it easier and easier to understand.

Movedalot Thu 07-Feb-13 16:18:05

Absent please read my post, it is neither ambigous or contradictory the word I used was 'misquote'.

absent Thu 07-Feb-13 16:28:55

Movedalot Oh sorry – of course your post is neither ambiguous nor contradictory but then I didn't suggest it was. I was thinking about the ways people respond to a post and failed to register that you had specifically said misquote. Misquoting is unlikely to be lying; it's just sloppy.

Movedalot Thu 07-Feb-13 16:49:42

Absent accepted. As you had named me it is understandable that I assumed you were responding to my post rather than speaking generally. The misquoting to which I refer was not sloppy, quite the opposite, it was a deliberate attempt to mislead any casual reader. I believe that most GNs see through such people.

absent Thu 07-Feb-13 18:39:19

However, this thread is about racism and homophobia on another forum all together, which I am pleased to say do not feature here. Similarly, creatures that turn into stone at dawn don't happen here much either, although I do recognise how distressing it is to realise that one has been completely taken in and made the butt of someone's joke.

Ana Thu 07-Feb-13 18:49:35

Yes, and in this instance, at least, I think that was was the trigger, not malice aforethought.

absent Thu 07-Feb-13 19:20:24

Ana The creatures that turn to stone at dawn are the ones who deceive innocents and regard them as jokes. Enough.

Ana Thu 07-Feb-13 19:23:00

Sorry absent, I don't understand. I was just saying that the recent unpleasantness had its root cause in hurt and the trollery was revenge. Please don't read anything other than that into my post.

absent Thu 07-Feb-13 19:28:13

You don't have to be sorry at all Ana. I just think that it's best not to pursue that particular subject or experience any further. smile

Movedalot Thu 07-Feb-13 20:26:48

That sounds terribly patronising

janeainsworth Thu 07-Feb-13 20:52:06

Moved I have to say I don't feel patronised.
I thought Absent was only articulating what many posters have said, that they would prefer not to have any repetition of the unpleasantness that manifested itself over the last few days.

messenger Thu 07-Feb-13 21:13:41

I listened to a Saga Member on car radio today and the lady got very emotional and upset as it was her only contact with the outside world so-to-speak unfortunately there are and always will be people who have such small worlds that they get satisfaction from destroying other peoples.So let SAGA go to h...[grin

j08 Thu 07-Feb-13 21:24:47

If this thread was written in code I'm not sure I would understand it less.