Gransnet forums

News & politics

Urban foxes

(173 Posts)
j08 Sun 10-Feb-13 10:02:40

When are the authorities going to get sensible and start culling them? How many babies are going to have to be attacked in their homes before they realise just how out of control these things are getting? angry

broomsticks Mon 25-Feb-13 21:47:44

My son used to rescue ones he found in the road as he lurched back from the pub. They didn't stick around though. They were probably on their way somewhere and very annoyed by his kindly meant interference.

Bags Sun 24-Feb-13 08:18:29

We have hedgehogs. Plenty of piles of wood and other scrubbly places for them to live. And they can wander in from the fields, from the woods, from the road down the hill, even.

You can't have a Colditz garden, galen, and expect hedgehogs to tunnel in!

They can climb a bit though.

JessM Sun 24-Feb-13 08:10:13

So you want hedgehogs but you've got rabbit fencing and they cant get in?
I think mine squeeze under the gate. About 3 cm gap.
Someone I know got some hedgehogs from a rescue centre (in fact i think they had originally rescued them and wanted them back) but it was a big palaver - garden had to be inspected, pond made safe for hedgehogs etc etc

Galen Sat 23-Feb-13 21:33:46

They can't get in. The garden is secure!

JessM Sat 23-Feb-13 21:22:09

Look out for hedgehog droppings in the spring galen. Black, about 3 cm long, gritty looking (snail and beetle shells) and fairly pointy.

Galen Sat 23-Feb-13 18:26:07

I want hedgehogs. I have lovely safe garden for them with tons of slugs and snails. A veritable hedgehog paradise in fact. I haven't even seen a squashed one in the road for a few years..

broomsticks Sat 23-Feb-13 18:05:57

I haven't seen a hedgehog for a while. I gather their numbers are dropping pretty radically.

Ana Thu 21-Feb-13 12:23:30

And horrible to find the skin with prickles on your lawn in the morning....

Elegran Thu 21-Feb-13 12:20:46

Broomsticks Badgers eat hedgehogs from the soft front, leaving behind the skin with the prickles. Very neatly done, but their noses must get jabbed by the prickles when they start.

broomsticks Thu 21-Feb-13 12:12:25

Also apparently badgers eat a lot of hedgehogs. Not sure how. I suppose there are less badgers near human habitation.

NfkDumpling Wed 20-Feb-13 18:23:35

That's because people are leaving food out for them!

broomsticks Wed 20-Feb-13 10:45:41

Perhaps they could recycle the foxes. Someone yesterday was complaining that they had a plague of rabbits in their veg. crops and needed more foxes.

All the animals seem to move in close to us. My son works with hedgehogs and he says they are finding them close to towns and villages but very few out in the fields and in the wild.

merlotgran Sun 17-Feb-13 17:55:40

Buildings surrounded by farmland are likely to have a problem with rats and mice after harvest when the corn has been cut and the weather starts to get colder. They will be looking for warmth, shelter and food.. They also need a supply of water so dripping garden taps and containers that are likely to collect rainwater will attract them. They also love rotting fruit and vegetables so you need to pick up all fallen apples and make sure a compost heap is as far away from the house as possible.

We will be turning our large compost heap soon. I make sure the Jack Russells are geed up ready for action. I hate it if a rat dashes out. The flipping dogs usually get so excited they fight eachother and forget why they're there. If you don't gee them up they get bored and disappear down a rabbit hole instead. hmm

NfkDumpling Sun 17-Feb-13 17:48:22

Basically then too much of anything is a bad thing, be it foxes, rats - or humans.

JessM Sun 17-Feb-13 16:51:50

I seem to remember dissecting rats and seeing their bladders.
Is all that weeing a way of communicating? It is in many mammals. it would be funny if humans did this...
Heard of lugworm but they are on beaches.

Lilygran Sun 17-Feb-13 16:48:25

I don't believe our house is either dirty or decrepit. When we had problems with rats some years ago, the rat catcher said everyone in the area was having problems and he suggested there were three causes; people leaving food around (probably for the bloody foxes), the very cold weather, unusually so for November, and the fact that the council had discontinued the free pest control service. Rats and mice can squeeze into your house through holes you would think a worm couldn't get through.

janeainsworth Sun 17-Feb-13 16:43:03

Nice way of putting it Anagrin

Ana Sun 17-Feb-13 16:37:19

grin Yes, of course they do, but they're notoriously weak and they tend to urinate willy-nilly wherever they go...

goldengirl Sun 17-Feb-13 16:30:51

er, rats do have a bladder hmm

Tegan Sat 16-Feb-13 20:22:59

Lung worm? Is that because they eat slugs and suchlike? Must go and dose my dog for lungworm again; very nasty thing for them to catch.

NfkDumpling Sat 16-Feb-13 19:54:55

Foxes may not enter houses that often (actually rats don't either if the house is clean and maintained) but they do frequent gardens and they have fleas, carry mange, round worm and lung worm.

Ana Sat 16-Feb-13 19:46:48

They certainly do report rats, susie755! Councils vary in their pest control approach, but I do know that in areas near to rivers etc. rats in gardens, and sometimes under houses, are a regular occurrence.

We had to stop leaving food out for the birds (on the ground) because it encouraged rats - not pleasant to be in the garden enjoying the surroundings when a large rat scurries across the lawn as large as life, especially when you have your GC staying...

susieb755 Sat 16-Feb-13 19:37:31

Nfk Dumpling - thats because rats carry weils disease, and have no bladder so wee constantly on evreything - foxes very rarely would enter a house, unlike rats - thats why its news, and no one bothers reporting on the rats......

Lilygran Fri 15-Feb-13 23:04:06

gracesmum I do like the names of those hunts! I don't know if the urban hunt would cause more problems than cars, vans, motorbikes, buses, lorries...........

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Feb-13 21:09:40

Re-phrase - country foxes do come near habitation when humans aren't around if there's reason. Such as poultry or rabbits. A naive parent built a wonderful guinea pig enclosure with a one foot wooden plank fence. Kept the guinea pigs in ok - but not the fox out. Silly arse!