Gransnet forums

News & politics

North Korea. Another nuclear test

(17 Posts)
Bags Thu 04-Apr-13 15:56:01

Article about Asia arms race. I put it on the Trident thread by mistake. It's not just N Korea it seems.

Greatnan Thu 04-Apr-13 11:47:16

Jingle - I have started another thread about Trident. I don't think we can afford to spend 20 billion pounds on a weapon that would almost certainly never be used.
I don't believe N.K has the capability to take on the USA.

j08 Thu 04-Apr-13 11:15:20

I think at the moment it's all loud-mouthed bluff on the part of a puffed up idiot. But I am nevertheless glad that the US have set up their defence system on their little island.

And I'm so very glad we still have Trident.

granjura Sat 09-Mar-13 14:25:17

So so scary and dangerous. CND have always warned, right from the start, about the massive dangers of proliferation into the 'wrong' hands. How anybody could ever think those weapons of mass destruction could ever make us safer, I do not know.

soop Sat 09-Mar-13 14:17:47

Oh dear. This news is very disturbing. I'm fearful that should Kin Jong-Un flip his lid, the consequences would be dire.

LullyDully Fri 08-Mar-13 18:57:13

I fear that Kin Jong-Un doesn't look too bright and not capable of dealing with the rest of the World or his nuclear weapons.

I think he could lead us into war in a world which is already unstable. Too many rogue nations will join him. His people are starving and downtrodden and seem to be prepared to believe the propaganda fed them. It is a dangerous situation. Very worrying.

Butty Fri 08-Mar-13 18:45:32

Although a great idea, dropping food parcels and other necessary aid to N.K. would be impossible because of fly-zone restrictions.

grannyactivist Fri 08-Mar-13 18:30:20

absent - that was my preferred option for Iraq and Afghanistan. Bombard people with the good things they need (at a fraction of the cost of arms) and give the indigenous people the option to rise up themselves if they consider it necessary.

j08 Fri 08-Mar-13 18:14:10

They are angry because China agreed to the last lot of sanctions imposed on them.

j08 Fri 08-Mar-13 18:13:25

this is getting more and more scary

I'm sure I heard on the Today programme this morning that they had mentioned a nuclear weapon that could reach Washington.

Mishap Tue 12-Feb-13 13:25:24

It is very worrying.

absent Tue 12-Feb-13 10:43:31

Certainly China is about the only country with any clout in North Korea. I suspect that they don't want a lot of sabre rattling on their doorstep but are probably not massively worried about it at the moment although I think they watch the North South Korea spats very carefully.

If the food parcels, medicines, educational materials, any good things were part of a saturation bombing exercise of some sort (not actual bombing) then with sufficient momentum, it couldn't be stopped. The same thing might work in Iran. Of course, it won't happen in either place.

j08 Tue 12-Feb-13 10:38:44

D'you know absent, that's a good idea. But are the people so brainwashed that it wouldn't make any difference? And would the authorities let them have the stuff?

I think they (other countries) are hoping this will be a wake-up call for China.

absent Tue 12-Feb-13 10:11:46

It's sabre rattling. but an especially dangerous kind of sabre. It's not just a question of who should do something, but what they should do. It would be great if they (whoever they are) could do something like bombard the country with food parcels and supplies of common medicines, thus giving the populace food for thought at the same time.

j08 Tue 12-Feb-13 09:02:40

sad [worried]

Ariadne Tue 12-Feb-13 08:52:38

It is scary, isn't it? And did you see, on the news, the massed crowds and the goose stepping army? Deja vu?

j08 Tue 12-Feb-13 08:26:11

This bomb smaller and much better (I know,wrong word) than ever before.

Something will have to be done about them surely. But by whom?