Gransnet forums

News & politics

That Boris Interview

(17 Posts)
Mishap Mon 25-Mar-13 22:21:45

Isn't he a nit? - how is it that anyone takes him seriously?

NfkDumpling Mon 25-Mar-13 22:19:08

I thought the interview did show he does have a serious side and regrets his mistakes. He'd certainly make for entertaining politics if he was to be Prime Minister and give the civil servants a headache, but I fear he's too much of a loose cannon to ever get there.

whenim64 Mon 25-Mar-13 22:05:29

The documentary was fascinating. Boris has so many skeletons falling out of his unlocked cupboard, it's surprising that he made it to London Mayor. One can't help liking him for his affability and humour. He must be a nightmare of a husband, though!

POGS Mon 25-Mar-13 21:37:38

I thought it was a boring interview, infact I didn't enjoy the entire show.. I would have preferred to have heard what Johnson thought about relevant topics such as the economy,etc. When Johnson tried to talk about anything relevant, he cut him short. That's why I think he had an agenda and I think you could see throught it. If he didn't have an agenda then it was just a poor interviewing teqnique.

What is the point of asking any politician, repeatedly, if he/she would like to be PM. It's a loaded question for any of them. As always they would be damned if they do, damned if they don't answer. does it particularly matter anyway???

I think Eddie Mair was typical of the kind of interviewer I dislike so much. Slightly cocky, slightly aggressive and don't know when to give up. They should watch the likes of Andrew Neil. Parky and Frost and learn how to coax the interviewee and maybe get the answer to their questions.

It is not that I am a fan of Boris Johnson, I prefer to see him on Have I Got News than being our PM.

MargaretX Mon 25-Mar-13 19:23:43

I thought Eddie Maire went on a bit too long. it was obvious that Boris Johnson wasn't going to say what he didn't want to say. He could have spoken about the housing shorgtage in London and I for one would have preferred it.
I think AM in Sunday morning is a size to big for Eddie. Others who have stood in for Andrew have done better.

Nonu Mon 25-Mar-13 12:36:46

Will watch it tonight on BBC 2 .

annodomini Mon 25-Mar-13 11:59:18

What did come over was his inability to respond to a robust interview technique. He seemed to be taken aback and really fell apart under scrutiny.

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 11:30:44

But it was the lieing that he obviously has done in the past. And - the worst bit - giving someone's address away to facilitate that person being beaten up!

whenim64 Mon 25-Mar-13 11:29:27

I get what you're saying wisewoman - the interview was savage in parts, and now interviewees will be forewarned, so it was a small 'victory' that Boris will overcome. Very uncomfortable watching, and probably pre-empts what was going to be disclosed in the documentary, anyway.

Subtle interviewing is needed to expose people like Boris, so that there's no backlash for the interviewer, and future interviewees don't become over-defensive.

wisewoman Mon 25-Mar-13 11:23:16

I am a big fan of Eddie Mair but I was a bit disappointed in the Boris interview. In the real world if Boris (or anyone else) says "of course I would like to be prime minister" it will be all over the tabloids. "Boris wants Cameron's job" etc etc. I think that is part of the reason that politicians can't be honest as their words are taken out of context and splashed all over the papers. Eddie knew he couldn't say it, Boris wasn't going to say it so valuable time was wasted when there could have been real debate about what matters to most people - the economy. Sorry Eddie, you let me down this time. Were you trying to be a John Humphries? You are so much better and usually more subtle than that.

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 11:21:20

Know what you mean when.

whenim64 Mon 25-Mar-13 11:20:23

Despite the car crash of an interview, and my leftie political leanings, I can't help liking Boris grin

bluebell Mon 25-Mar-13 10:53:15

Going to watch it now with morning coffee- just to reconfirm all my well- founded views if him

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 10:30:14

I like Eddie Mair.

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 10:28:41

Oh yes! I heard about this on Today prog this morning. I think I might be changing my opinion of Boris. shock sad

Especially if he really did hand over someone's address so the person could be physically attacked! shock

whenim64 Sun 24-Mar-13 23:14:35

Yes, I watched it. Poor Boris walked right into it, didn't he?. He blustered and obfuscated, and just kept diggng the hole. Reminded me of that Paxman/Howard interview. Boris tried every which way he could to avoid saying he wants to be prime minister. Like a rabbit in the headlights - I was close to watching it through my fingers! grin

annodomini Sun 24-Mar-13 23:03:34

Did any of you see this interview? Eddie Mair was absolutely brilliant. He had Boris all over the place and how many people would get away with calling their interviewee 'a nasty piece of work'? It's on i-Player, at about 27 minutes, if you want a bit of political entertainment.