Gransnet forums

News & politics

Philpott Sentence

(113 Posts)
sunseeker Thu 04-Apr-13 11:55:57

Michael Philpott has been sentenced to life imprisonment to serve a minimum of 15 years (so just over 2 years for each child!). His wife has been sentenced to 17 years to serve a minimum of half that term.

absent Sat 06-Apr-13 20:11:07

j08 And you think the rest of us don't hate child killers?

sunseeker Sat 06-Apr-13 17:35:33

I would hope that you are wrong Greatnan. Public flogging and executions are part of the culture in Saudi Arabia, I like to think that we have left that sort of thing in our past. Whilst there may be some who would turn up to watch such things, surely once would be enough before there was an outcry to stop them.

Greatnan Sat 06-Apr-13 16:45:27

Unfortunately, I think there would be quite a lot of perverted people who would be happy to pull the lever. Just as there would be huge crowds if public flogging or execution was carried out here, as it is in Saudi Arabia.

sunseeker Sat 06-Apr-13 16:42:27

Yes nanaej a lot of people say they want hanging brought back but how many would be willing to pull the lever?

nanaej Sat 06-Apr-13 16:36:26

A simple, cheap balanced diet is not difficult to provide.

I use a measure of what I could do or could witness without distress as to what I would agree to happen to others punishment-wise. I would find it difficult to watch someone being beaten to death..whoever they were....

sunseeker Sat 06-Apr-13 16:28:05

sunflowersuffolk grin

sunflowersuffolk Sat 06-Apr-13 16:18:47

I know that is a bit extreme. I would just want him, probably for the first time in his life, to have to work for his comforts. Delete bread and water and substitute something healthy but very boring.

sunseeker Sat 06-Apr-13 16:16:29

Feeding him bread and water would certainly be considered a cruel punishment. Apparently this wasn't done just to give a basic and boring meal but because it would cause constipation leading to pain. I have absolutely no idea how I know that ! confused

sunflowersuffolk Sat 06-Apr-13 16:11:06

I agree with sunseeker - I think the worst thing for him would to be forgotton and ignored. He would hate that I imagine.

Just shut away without being able to see any newspapers discussing him, no internet, not able to get letters from weird people who might want to "befriend" him, - nothing to fuel his craving for publicity. I don't feel he should have visitors either, especially not women who would still fuel his ego.

Should be kept in a very boring place with basic comforts only, made to do a good days menial work to pay for his keep. If he refuses then bread and water. To have the chance to read in leisure time, and I suppose a chance of self improvement.

But I suppose we couldn't do that to him, as we would then be denying him his human rights!!!

whenim64 Sat 06-Apr-13 15:57:00

Jingle where have you been asked to express sympathy for him? I have no interest in his wellbeing and would be happy to hear nothing of him ever again. I do know at first hand what it is like to be confronted with a vicious attack on a prisoner, and to witness self harm and suicides being cleared up by people working in prisons and probation hostels, and do not wish that on the people it affects.

sunseeker Sat 06-Apr-13 15:36:49

j08 I'm sure no-one feels sympathy for this man - I know I don't, but if we want to call ourselves civilised we cannot condone, or wish for, any harm to come to him whilst he is in prison. I certainly wouldn't want any prison officer to have to go in to protect him and possibly be injured in the process. He craves publicity and to be locked away and forgotten will be punishment enough.

j08 Sat 06-Apr-13 15:31:00

No it doesn't' when. It just makes us honest human beings. With weaknesses.

j08 Sat 06-Apr-13 15:28:53

Ok. I'm sure you are all perfect angels. I'm not. I hate child killers.

I really don't care what happens to Phillpot inside. Or anywhere else.

I refuse to feel any sympathy for him.

whenim64 Sat 06-Apr-13 15:24:56

It does make hypocrites of us when we call for or condone barbaric treatment of those offenders whose own barbaric offences we abhor.

dorsetpennt Sat 06-Apr-13 14:59:17

absent the voice of reason - no one should lynch, allow other prisoners to vent their rage or anything else for that matter.
Are we all going to lower ourselves to that standard - something a person like Philpott would advocate. He is in prison, and it will be for the rest of his natural or until he is too old to matter. This is because he is guilty of a heinous crime and we want to remove him from the general population, who try to behave like human beings and lead good honest lives. There are more of us then there are of them. So to lower ourselves to violence would mean we are no better then he.

nanaej Sat 06-Apr-13 14:36:27

J08 It is a dangerous path to start on when we condone a lynch mob / vigilante mentality. I believe this hideous man Philpot should send the rest of his life in a place that simply meets his basic needs. I think if we wish him harm or think harming by others is OK it diminishes a sense of humanity in the rest of us. Too many blind eyes are turned at inhumane situations as it is..let's not add even more. It will not make the world a better place nor bring back the children who died.

j08 Sat 06-Apr-13 13:57:27

I honestly don't think I will be thinking about him at all.

I don't understand how anyone can become that stupid. And then to not show any real horror after the event confirms the evil in him.

absent Sat 06-Apr-13 13:42:20

Relishing the prospect rather than advocating then?

j08 Sat 06-Apr-13 13:33:10

No-one' s "advocating" anything. hmm Just saying, in this particular case would probably be tempted to look the other way.

We're not prisons officers so no need for any knicks getting twisted. But we are humans. Not angels.

absent Sat 06-Apr-13 13:28:01

Would those people who seem to be advocating unsupervised, possibly fatal and certainly painful extra-judicial punishment in addition to judicial punishment clarify which kinds of prisoners they feel this should apply to? This appalling Philpott creature has been found guilty of manslaughter, so I assume those convicted of manslaughter and murder would qualify or would it be only those causing the deaths of children.

Should we go down the road of cutting off the hands of thieves and bringing back the birch rather than relying on the wisdom of other convicted prisoners to administer the punishment the general public considers suitable?

Zenella Sat 06-Apr-13 13:14:23

j08 - heartily agree. Life should mean life. Nelliemoser has the right idea - throw away the key and whilst like her, I don't condone retribution by other prisoners, I would just look the other way.

Deedaa Fri 05-Apr-13 23:02:28

I am digging deeply into my better nature to say that it is only right that he should be protected in prison, but I cannot in all honesty say that I would be sorry if something (preferably painful) happens to him.

agapanthus Fri 05-Apr-13 21:44:46

I read it in the times

agapanthus Fri 05-Apr-13 21:43:53

Suppose the number doesn't really matter

whenim64 Fri 05-Apr-13 21:42:37

A couple of days ago it was reported on the BBC he stabbed her 7 times, now the Sun and Guardian say both 11 and 13 times, and the DM says 27 times. hmm