Gransnet forums

News & politics

Proposal to remove teaching assistants

(56 Posts)
grandimars Fri 14-Jun-13 11:05:18

Another of Michael Gove's ill thought out proposals is to remove teaching assistants from schools. If implemented, this would seriously impact on the ability of thousands of children to function within the educational system. Special needs children like my grandson benefit so much from their input. Please support this teacher's response: you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/say-no-to-removal-of-teaching-assistants?source=facebook-share-button&time=1371140518

jansyhy Mon 17-Jun-13 16:18:06

Signed.

granjura Mon 17-Jun-13 09:54:30

Sorry - it is such a pain there is no edit function on this site!!!

This of course not 'just' for the poorer and less privileged members of society - but for all. A fractured society, with a large proportion if members un-employable and with no stake in the system, will create huge problems for all - in 100s of ways (benefits of every kind, health problems, housing, anti-social behaviour, etc, etc) as is plainly evident in many parts of UK presently. Will anybody deny this?

granjura Mon 17-Jun-13 09:51:07

Spot on J52 - and a principle very much at the heart of education in most European countries, as it should be. A divisive system with elites and sink groups created, is a disaster for any society in the long run. Switzerland is hardly a communist country, is it? So the idea that anyone who holds such views is a left-winger is just plain wrong.

This is not about an 'egalitarian' society - there are, and always will be (thank goodness) differences, but the education offered by society should give equal chances to all, to as large an extent as possible.

NfkDumpling Sun 16-Jun-13 21:01:19

[like]

J52 Sun 16-Jun-13 20:04:12

Education of a high standard should be free to all children. They are mankind's future. XX

JessM Sun 16-Jun-13 15:47:45

Yes NZ is a mystery. Have not come across that kind of school - maybe in very rural areas? There are some very elite fee-charging schools such as the one in Wangauni where one of the princes went for a year. I've been told that Maori's get free post-18 tuition?
I liked the billboard ad for a girls boarding school, out in the middle of the country (both school and billboard) which showed the girls rowing on one side and riding on the other. Apparently you can take your own horse.hmm

Greatnan Sun 16-Jun-13 15:38:24

Same in New Zealand. There is a special curriculum in the mainly non-European schools, which prepares the pupils for manual employment, farming, etc. I am trying to find out what happens if one of the pupils shows great aptitude for academic subjects.

JessM Sun 16-Jun-13 15:26:45

Australia seems even worse in terms of two tierism. Odd that they think us Brits are a class ridden society while their health system and education systems are both one for the reasonably affluent and one for the other half.

granjura Sun 16-Jun-13 15:26:11

Here (in Switzerland, but the same in many European countries) politicians, bankers, businessmen, professionals, etc, want to have small classes and excellent facilities, because ALL THEIR CHILDREN go to the local school. It certainly concentrates the mind- and the finances to back the system FOR ALL.

Perhaps this is because they were very much behind with providing education - the countries being mainly rural until not that long ago. The UK has often suffered from divisions created 500 years ago, and very difficult to redress now.

granjura Sun 16-Jun-13 14:48:25

Couldn't agree more- be it the health system or school - when the majority of influential parents take the children out, they just don't care what happens to the rest. A tragedy- and perhaps very difficult for many of you to 'grasp' in a way, because this system has been going on for so long and is so ingrained in the UK.

Doing the best for one's children in the short term - but inadvertently creating a fracture and divided society, is in the end bad for all.

Think of South Africa perhaps, where anyone with any kind of wealth has to live behind electrified fences with 'sniper security' (as my cousins in CP) - is that what we want for our children and their future?

Greatnan Sun 16-Jun-13 12:00:07

I don't blame any parent for trying to get what they see as the best for their own child - it is the two-tier system that I dislike. Having taught in very deprived areas of Merseyside, I am only too aware of the difficulty in getting some parents involved - I think many of them were not very happy in their own schooldays and still see teachers as 'them', figures of authority,and unapproachable. I had some success with mothers, especially when I invited them to help me formulate a child development course for the 15-year olds who were the first ROSLA pupils. I knew another remedial teacher who managed to get the fathers involved by asking for their help in practical subjects, like car maintenance and woodwork. The fathers were more knowledgeable than the teacher, so they felt they had his respect.
I am not very keen on the idea of 'bussing' children to different areas in order to get a more even social mix - I think parents from affluent areas would put up a lot of resistance if it were suggested that their children attend an inner-city school and the school day plus homework is long enough for most children.

Ella46 Sun 16-Jun-13 10:23:31

Signed.

Aka Sun 16-Jun-13 10:11:16

No problem Jess (my iPad wanted to call you Jesus!!) I've come across some pretty awful private schools too in my time just to level the playing field.

JessM Sun 16-Jun-13 09:58:39

Apologies aka of course there are cases where state schools fail children and parents resort to private. I would too if it was my grandchild. But I'm sure you will concede that the vast majority of customers of private schools are not in this category. They would all close down if they relied on "emergency" admissions.

Aka Sun 16-Jun-13 09:38:10

Sadly that was not the case Greatnan. Plenty of parents did show concern, many pupils were withdrawn each year, school was put in special measures (or whatever the current term is). It might well improve over time given a radical change of staff and management but not in time for the pupils who have to work their way through at the moment.
The big question is why was it allowed to reach this stage in the first place? I believe parents did their best, but as the school is in a 'socially mixed' area there were probably not enough parents sufficient aware and willing to take action.
Without wishing to sound elitist, schools in middle class areas tend to do far better because of the parental pressure which is always a factor, whereas schools in socially deprived areas tend (not always but often) not to have similar levels of parental concern. And there lies the dilemma.
Re the cost of a private school it is comparable to a child attending nursery five days a week, which many families have to fork out anyway if they wish both parents to return to work.

Greatnan Sun 16-Jun-13 08:43:45

I think you story proves my point, Aka. What happened to all the other pupils whose parents could not afford private schools? If enough parents had shown concern and demanded action, things might have improved.

Aka Sun 16-Jun-13 07:58:22

Thanks Bags

Bags Sun 16-Jun-13 07:57:38

Glad the kid was helped at any rate.

Aka Sun 16-Jun-13 07:52:35

Some private school are amazingly helpful when it comes to fees and, as in the case mentioned, were so horrified by events that a 90% bursary was offered and accepted. You would not believe the difference a year of good teaching can make to a child's confidence. Or hopefully you can.
There was no way this child was returning to the previous school so the only alternative to a private school was home schooling, with all it's advantages and disadvantages.
Let's not jump on one word again with stupid grins and nasty little smirks (I know you didn't do that Bags)

Bags Sun 16-Jun-13 07:45:21

You still can't force someone into a private school if their parents can't afford the fees.

Aka Sun 16-Jun-13 07:41:51

PPS let me reword that...might seem amusing to you.

Aka Sun 16-Jun-13 07:41:22

PS might seem funny to you.

Aka Sun 16-Jun-13 07:41:01

At the point a child is so traumatised by a terrible school he has to be removed. At the point where a happy, child with a zest for learning turns into a quivering wreck after a year of being put down. At the point where the Headteacher refuses to see what is going on on his own school despite a terrible OFSTED report. At the point where all other local primaries are full...need I go on?

JessM Sun 16-Jun-13 07:28:15

grin forced?? aka at knife point or gun point? grin

NfkDumpling Sun 16-Jun-13 07:08:35

This is another one of the Government's unofficial referendums isn't it? Let's float a silly idea and see how many/quickly people object.

Signed.