Gransnet forums

News & politics

13 year old sexual predator not her abuser, says Judge

(39 Posts)
Iam64 Wed 07-Aug-13 13:31:33

The abuser for whom the Judge seems to feel sympathy was 41 years old, the girl was 13. The Police found the man had images of child sexual abuse and bestiality on his computer. The images on his computer in themselves indicate this man needs a risk assessment, and appropriate therapeutic input. I don't know a lot about this case, but there is already an appeal that the sentence of 8 months in jail, suspended was far too lenient. I agree completely it's too lenient, and does nothing at all to assess what risk this man poses to children. To say that a 13 year old is complicit in her own abuse is wrong. The media is reporting the Judge and CPC prosecuting barrister as taking this line. It is very hard to believe anyone in a position of authority and power in our courts holding, much less, expressing this viewpoint.

Iam64 Thu 08-Aug-13 17:59:22

thanks butty, I was, as I said, cross and being cross isn't a good way to post your thoughts at speed. I do hope that the furore that this case has received, universally it seems, will lead to more care being taken with vulnerable young witnesses. But - we've been here before, haven't we. Still, things are better than 30 years ago....

Butty Thu 08-Aug-13 08:03:38

Iam64 I appreciate that correction and your apology.

Bags Thu 08-Aug-13 07:23:51

The sentence against the abuser, who walked free (!), is being reviewed after the outcry led in part by Caroline Criado-Perez (she of the Twitter abuse; see the blog about it from mumsnet on another thread).

Iam64 Thu 08-Aug-13 07:02:12

My comment that any child who had been abused had been groomed was incorrect, for which apologies, I was so cross I pressed send before re-reading. I'll change that to 'the majority of children... '.

Nellie - good point about the adult defendants previous convictions not being made known in subsequent court cases. Everyone should have a fair trial, but in cases involving sexual offences, it seems to me the victims are subjected to cross examinations that re-victimise them

Nelliemoser Wed 07-Aug-13 23:15:28

It's really appalling that the Judge made these remarks as he is the one who is supposed to be the arbiter of the law and failed to condemn the prosecution for his remarks.

As *kittylester" said the child was 13 and cannot at that age consent to sexual activity. That is it. It's no excuse to say you didn't know her age.

There has to be some better way of trying these cases than cross examining such vulnerable witnesses. There was a male barrister speaking on PM on the Radio who sounded really distressed when he was describing the nature of the questioning that some of the children he had worked with had to endure.

Am I right in still thinking that an adult defendants previous convictions are not allowed to be mentioned in a court case? Why can defence counsel make these allegations about the child's past.

whatsgoingon Wed 07-Aug-13 22:57:16

When I think back to when I was 13 I thought. I knew it all. I thought. I was grown up.
I now know. I was no more than a child and I had a mixed up view on what was right or wrong.
What ever this 13 year old girl is or isn't the fact is that she is still a child, she has a lot to learn and it's up to older men not to take advantage of her and any others out there like her.

j08 Wed 07-Aug-13 22:39:30

When did 15 become age of consent?!

j08 Wed 07-Aug-13 22:38:31

" the judge agreed that the girl in question, who was just 13 years old, looked older, at least 14 or 15"

That's alright then. hmm

j08 Wed 07-Aug-13 22:29:25

There is a comma missing out of this thread title. And I'm itching to put it in.

j08 Wed 07-Aug-13 22:26:25

It's the prosecutor that has been suspended.

j08 Wed 07-Aug-13 22:25:06

I've already linked to that fact. hmm

Greatnan Wed 07-Aug-13 22:21:02

She only does it to annoy.....................
Thank goodness, it has just been announced on the news that the judge will not be able to preside over any more sexual abuse cases.

Ella46 Wed 07-Aug-13 21:34:37

Butty, thanks for the info, I did type a reply previously but the posting black hole must have taken it!

Butty Wed 07-Aug-13 21:25:26

Both the prosecutor Mr. Colover and the Judge Nigel Peters both referred to the 13 yr. old girl as being predatory.

Quote Nigel Peters ""The girl was predatory and she was egging you on."

j08 Wed 07-Aug-13 20:42:49

I thought it was the judge? confused Was it both of them?

Would the judge have known about the computer images? And couldn't he be prosecuted separately for that?

JessM Wed 07-Aug-13 19:55:20

Note it was the prosecuting barrister that used this language. it was not the defending barrister. Defies belief really.

j08 Wed 07-Aug-13 19:53:58

The Attorney General is going to look into it. What more can be done?

Sorry Kittylester, is someone arguing with you? confused

absent Wed 07-Aug-13 19:44:40

Plus ça change… Was it not Judge Pickles who referred to the child victim in a sexual abuse case decades ago as "She's no angel"? This caused public outrage, yet here we are with exactly the same thing. No doubt, some idiot will tell us that "lessons have been learned".

kittylester Wed 07-Aug-13 19:43:07

The girl was 13. end of!! angry

vegasmags Wed 07-Aug-13 19:37:16

Possibly because a decision has yet to made over whether it should go to the court of appeal, in view of the light sentence passed. The point is that a 13 year old cannot give consent and so cannot be a predator.

j08 Wed 07-Aug-13 19:30:59

look. He's practically been struck off

whenim64 Wed 07-Aug-13 19:21:20

A child who hasn't been groomed for abuse has been attacked. Grooming is inherent in child sexual abuse and encompasses everything from 'gentle' persuasion to exposure to abusive inages and films, to coercion and threats.

j08 Wed 07-Aug-13 19:03:51

God save us from worn-out social workers.

The judge's decision is already to be reviewed So what is the point of the hysterical petition?

j08 Wed 07-Aug-13 18:59:39

"Any child that has experienced sexual abuse has been groomed". That's just not true.

And don't lecture me. hmm

petallus Wed 07-Aug-13 18:48:26

The judge's comments were outrageous.

It's depressing that people still think this way.