Gransnet forums

News & politics

To remove disguised age discriminatory practices from recruitment procedures.

(8 Posts)
bitunsure Fri 24-Jan-14 15:32:38

I've started this because I want to work, I am highly skilled but believe there is disguised age discimination in application forms.

1. Employers are not allowed to ask for d.o.b. But, if one has to enter details of dates examinations passed, it is a pretty clear guide to age.
2. As someone who has changed careers, as well as jobs, throughout their working career, the standard "Please give employment history. There should be no gaps, every date should be accounted for," (common in public sector applications) is a joke. I left school at 16 and have worked and studied for 41 years. By the 3rd continuation sheet, I feel like giving up - its clear they want young applicants.
3. Government funding is being provided which is encouraging that all routine jobs be labelled 'Apprentice'. They are routine jobs which can be mastered quickly - ideal for some who are coming to the end of their working lives, but have to wait 8 years for pensions! The use of the word Apprentice (often in agency jobs) is another example of disguised age discrimination.

eliza Fri 24-Jan-14 15:43:08

mmmm agree with you and have experienced it myself, but un fortunately it is a fact of life and can not do too much about it, I have accepted it, I have been young once and was sort after but now I am older and not so much. It is life I am afraid. Don't let it get to you.

I have now decided to be proud of my age and have a demeanour about me commanding respect due to my age --it works!!!!! smile

Anne58 Fri 24-Jan-14 16:06:04

As many members know, I have been job hunting since being made redundant in 2012, I have had a couple of short lived jobs since then, but I feel that March 2012 was when I last had a "proper" job.

I agree with a lot of your points, these tend to apply to the dreaded application forms in the main. Applying with a CV & covering letter means that you can keep it short!

My own CV only covers my last 2 permanent employments, but these account for a 17 year work history. I was recently faced with one of the forms you mention, I phoned the company and explained to the head of HR that whilst I was quite happy to fill it ALL in, my most recent jobs covered 17 years, would that do or did she really want the CV equivalent of War & Peace?

The Apprenticeships are a different matter, if you look through the jobs listed on DirectGov, yes, there are some apprenticeships listed, but these are often "proper" Govt. backed & funded apprenticeships. "Trainee" however, can be a different matter!

I am 55, and some potential employers (esp. the younger ones) seem to think that I am just looking for something to get me out of the house, er no. When they ask "what motivates you?" I always reply that the size of my mortgage keeps me pretty focussed. They also seem to think that I will be retiring soon. Wrong, I don't get a pension until I'm 66, so that gives me 11 years of productive work life.

I try to give them the positives, and sometimes I'm quite blunt (perhaps that's why no-one has taken me on confused

1) I am extremely unlikely (to put it mildly) to need to take maternity leave
2) I have worked before and actually know that you have to turn up and contribute
3) At my age (yes, I used the "A" word) I'm not going to treat this job as a stepping stone in order to boost my CV before I climb up the corporate ladder, been there, done that, got the T shirt AND shrunk it in the wash!

I do take offence at those adds that say "come and join our young and vibrant team" and I do actually take the time to report them! Bastards!

Sorry to rant, yes, you are right on some scores!

dorsetpennt Fri 24-Jan-14 16:13:38

I was 'retired' by the medical practice I worked for as their rules said that anyone reaching 60 had to retire [they cant do that now]. It was put into place because the feeling was that GPs were burnt out by then. I wasn't a GP but a medical secretary. but the rules didn't differentiate on that. So despite years of experience and a good work ethic I was out of a job.
However, Waitrose took me on. I am now an internet picker and really enjoying working part time. Other then offers of promotion, which make sense, I am treated like every other member of staff by management and colleagues alike. Our oldest member of staff is 75 years old.

eliza Fri 24-Jan-14 16:23:01

Dear phoenix I thank you for making me laugh, by what you say to your potential employers!

I actually laughed out load..

Did you know that there is a princes enterprise for 50 year olds and over--they help with advise and finance to set up your own business

eliza Fri 24-Jan-14 16:26:05

dorse what is an internet picker?

Anne58 Fri 24-Jan-14 17:10:04

Thanks eliza I do have my moments!

I would guess that an internet picker is one who goes around the store putting together the shopping for those who have ordered on-line?

FlicketyB Sat 25-Jan-14 16:42:50

I think internet pickers work in dark supermarkets, not supermarkets without lights but supermarkets without customers built specifically for internet shopping and staffed, presumably, by internet pickers.

I was made redundant in my early 50s and after a year of unsuccessful job hunting, being fortunate to have an early occupational pension I decided that if no-one wanted to employ me because of my age, I would work for free so I worked as a volunteer home visitor for Age Concern (now Age UK). I did this for over 10 years until the scheme ended because of lack of funding. During that time I sorted out disability and other benefits for 100s of older people as well as dealing with a host of other problems.