Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is it bizarre to question the Monarchy's Budget?

(97 Posts)
Eloethan Thu 30-Jan-14 16:00:51

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/29/royals-want-new-boiler-we-pay-for-it

I agree with Suzanne Moore and feel the Queen should dip into her personal fortune to pay for the upkeep of the various royal residences, especially at a time when the poor are being bashed at every opportunity. What do others think?

JessM Fri 31-Jan-14 11:09:39

I don't think many tourists actually see the queen but droves of them go to see the palace etc

Actually my outsourcing suggestion is not as flippant as it might seem (on reflection) - The queen should give up management of the palace to a commercially minded outfit who would manage the assets and generate income in a professional way - and then they would have some clear objectives,a proper business and asset management plan and would be required to report when required to the public accounts committee. It does not sit comfortably in any of the ministries - they have not much track record in business.
Lets face it. In her late 80s the queen should not be bothered with running a large property portfiolio.
I agree it is flipping ridiculous to have all those freeloaders who are slurping up funds that could be used to stop the palaces crumbling. Time for a slimmed down monarchy.

wallers5 Fri 31-Jan-14 11:16:31

A nice sensible comment. Quite agree

durhamjen Fri 31-Jan-14 11:30:22

I was surprised to read that Buck House is only open to the public for two months of the year. If she opens it up for another two months she'll get twice the income, which will more than pay for her boiler.

JessM Fri 31-Jan-14 11:46:41

And doesn't she flee to Windsor every weekend, when she is in London area?

gillybob Fri 31-Jan-14 12:04:18

My mum and dad live in an adapted council bungalow. My mum is disabled. They pay over £100 per week in rent. The heating system is so old. It is useless and there is no way to get hot water without using a very expensive electric immersion heater. The gas fire was condemned years ago as there are no parts available to fix it. They were due to have a new central heating system fitted in 2012 but the council ran out of money. They were told that they could pay to have their own put in but it would have to be done by council approved engineers (no doubt at twice the normal cost).

Why the hell shouldn't Her Maj dip her hand into her tight little pocket and fork out. Its not as though she is hard up bless her is it?

margaretm74 Fri 31-Jan-14 14:30:40

I have heard she dislikes Buck Palace, it is only used for "work" purposes. She prefers Windsor - in fact she would probably prefer to retire to Balmoral, but she does have a very strong sense of duty.

Practically I still think she is best value for money, the thought of President Tone and 1st lady Cherie costing billions would fill me with despair.

But I do agree, get rid of the rest or pay them pro rata for what duties they perform . Not airmiles andy and the two princesses though.

JessM Fri 31-Jan-14 14:39:06

Gillybob they are not in an"ECO" area are they? Carbon Saving Communities Obligation

To provide insulation measures to people living in the bottom 15% of the UK's most deprived areas. It is expected that this element of ECO will particularly benefit the social housing sector.

Through ECO, the government aims to help 230,000 low-income households or those in low-income areas.

Basically you have to be living in or very near one of a list of "deprived" wards. This is one of the things the Government cut back on to try to show they were "cutting green taxes" i.e. improving heating and insulation for those who really need it.

margaretm74 Fri 31-Jan-14 14:47:27

They seem to be doing quite a lot round here to old people's bungalows - cladding for insulation, cavity wall insulation if there is a cavity, loft insulation, etc,. Not sure about boilers, but I would have thought EU money would be available to Councils for improving our efficiency. Not sure just a thought gillybob?

JessM Fri 31-Jan-14 17:03:02

Its not EU money it is obligation on the energy companies to put money into energy efficiency. They lobbied and threatened until they got a reduction in it. Same amount of money but spread over more years. hmm sad

This document includes a list all the areas where this particular pot of money will be spent.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/48405/5536-carbon-saving-community-obligation-rural-and-low-.pdf

JessM Fri 31-Jan-14 17:03:10

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/48405/5536-carbon-saving-community-obligation-rural-and-low-.pdf

nigglynellie Fri 31-Jan-14 17:47:54

I agree Mollie. I find it 'strange' that Bob Crow lives in a Council House! I always understood social housing was for people who had social needs?!! Not for folk on £100k+ a year!!!!
As for the Queen, she is our head of state, and like all heads of state has to be afforded. I for one think she does a fab job, and is a much better bet than some grey old president behind his/her bullet proof car shooting from place to place, with no one getting a glimpse of them. ( they're SO dull, would anyone want to?!!) The Queen's an inspiration - God Bless Her!

Anniebach Fri 31-Jan-14 19:15:36

The queen does not inspire me, she does her duty as promised and in return receives respect and a very comfy lifestyle . I am not keen on a president, yet another election and it could only be someone very wealthy , but for me there is too much PR telling how hard she works, yet she takes a summer break from August until October, Christmas from December until February and several weeks at Windsor for Easter ,Ascot in June, she has always done so. Now she is aged she must find her duties tiring but it is so easy to forget the times she came in for much criticism.

Yes have a king / queen but not as we have now,

margaretm74 Fri 31-Jan-14 19:22:11

She might be on a break but still does the "admin" ie the boxes. Not many 87 year olds would have her workload.

And it is either/or - every country has a head of state of some type or other . You are obviously a republican anniebach, but I for one like value for money and I believe that is what the Queen gives us.

margaretm74 Fri 31-Jan-14 19:28:29

And in answer to the original question - no, because, the property does not belong to her it belongs to us.

Fiver anyone? (Sorry, I realise some people do not have a sense of humour on this subject.)

Anniebach Sat 01-Feb-14 09:29:57

That's a very long break margaretm, and no I am not a republican I just do not share the sentiments some hold for the monarchy , I do not love them, they most certainty do not inspire me, I think the lavish life style of the queen and co is just so wrong and again I do say I do not accept that people in other countries come to this country to see the queen, many want to visit Windsor , buck house etc and I am sure they are pleased if they catch a glimpse of a royal whilst here.

So yes to a monarch , no to a monarch having at least seven properties which we pay for so she can house her family

JessM Sat 01-Feb-14 09:40:25

Not Plaid annieback?

Anniebach Sat 01-Feb-14 09:44:18

Not Plaid Jess, but want our title of P O Wales back (smile)

JessM Sat 01-Feb-14 10:06:59

oh right. Yes they really can keep PC. grin Do you think we should appoint our own? How about Leigh Halfpenny? Or lets not be sexist about this - suspect either Ruth Jones or Charlotte Church would do a better job of it and Glenys Kinnock probably would have in her day.

Mishap Sat 01-Feb-14 10:13:35

Any payments from the public purse to whatever body, service etc. should be scrutinzed properly - so it is not bizarre to look into this budget along with many others.

margaretm74 Sat 01-Feb-14 10:28:50

I don't love them, but do respect HM. I think PO Wales should have a main home here,. Perhaps Ruth, but what would her title be? Princess has too many connotations. What about Rob Brydon? Or is he a Londoner now?

nigglynellie Sat 01-Feb-14 11:35:46

I see Bob Crow is having a good time in Rio!! must be all the money he saves on rent!!! Glenys Kinnock? Too busy with hubby on the gravy train of Europe to bother about anything here!! As for Charlotte Church? I don't think so!!

margaretm74 Sat 01-Feb-14 11:54:47

Yes Glenys would be "too grand for us" as HM said about Princess Pushy (who was herself brought up in a Sydney suburb!

JessM Sat 01-Feb-14 12:46:16

CC much maligned by press. Remember this: www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/charlotte-church-slams-hypersexualised-music-industry-and-unattainable-sexbots-rihanna-and-miley-cyrus-8879992.html
Impressive and articulate woman. I have liked her ever since I saw her holding her own against the lovely Jonathan Ross who appears to try to bully and humiliate female guests IMO.

margaretm74 Sat 01-Feb-14 13:03:43

CC had to grow up under the scrutiny of the media. She went through normal young angst and not so desirable behaviour, which was not so different from others her age, and now seems to have matured into a sensible young woman.

Criteria for the job? The ability to sing the National Anthem in Welsh for a start.

JessM Sat 01-Feb-14 13:10:17

grin - we will always remember John Redwood won't we.