Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lord (Chris) Smith must go

(86 Posts)
FlicketyB Tue 11-Feb-14 16:51:23

This is not another thread on floods but a thread on a total incompetent in charge of a key government agency, who when an emergency came and found his agency wanting not only lacked the guts to really get down to visiting on site those suffering from his agencies poor decisions but cannot even be bothered to visit other parts of Britain where flooding is extensive and EA staff are working their socks off. Most of all by clinging on to a job that he has manifestly shown he is incapable of doing and which he has not even bothered to try to do since the disaster struck, he has just emphasised that there is no level to how low he is willing to fall to cling on to the money he receives but does not earn.

The EA, actively under Lady Young and inactively under Smith have placed wildlife well ahead of protecting homes and industry (and lets remember farming is an industry and has a much right to protection as any other).

All he has done since the floods struck is bring out a series of responses aimed at keeping his nose clean. First he was outraged that all those hardworking EA staff were being criticised when they were working so hard. They weren't being criticised, everybody has gone out of the way to speak highly of staff on the ground and make clear it is he and his top managers who have been woefully inadequate.

Then he made one half-hearted, furtive visit to see the floods in Somerset, then fled back to his office and hasn't found any need to make any further visits his own staff working so hard in flooded areas elsewhere.

Today he was back to suggesting in a memo to staff that they are being criticised unduly, when to repeat they are not being criticised, he is

His final insult is to blame those living on the flood plain for buying houses there. Well when we bought our house 20 years ago there were no nice convenient web sites showing flood maps and it never occurred to us. The village we were moving to had no history of flooding or near floods - and I have known it for most of my life and remained that way until 2007, and 2014.

He is also a man so grand and so rich that he has never struggled at the bottom of the housing ladder desperately trying to raise enough money to buy one of the houses in the lowest price band. In many places this means buying a little Victorian two up two down, which were often built on the flood plain. That applies to York, Oxford, Reading and many other places. My DS's first house was such a property. In his case it was protected by flood defences built 50 years previously, but even they nearly failed in 2000.

Rant over. I feel so much better.

margaretm74 Thu 13-Feb-14 19:47:55

Would I were in Grantchester, in Grantchester

Perhaps if she took the job, if offered it, she would be muttering that to herself as she trekked from one sodden area to another.

JessM Thu 13-Feb-14 19:34:26

in the vicarage wot had a pome done abart it. "and is there honey still for tea"
I stand corrected - she did chair the hospital trust. But it seems she recently had her bladder removed (on the NHS - but I guess being who she is, she will have had VIP treatment in Addenbrookes, just possibly. ) which might, at 70, dim her enthusiasm for trucking to London several times a week.

penguinpaperback Thu 13-Feb-14 18:48:09

The Archers still live in Grantchester. Lovely village, a late friend lived there. Mary Archer was Chair of the Foundation Trust at Cambridge University Hospital.

margaretm74 Thu 13-Feb-14 18:09:15

Re Mary Archer and David Nicholson - I think Jeffrey A was angling for Mary to take over the NHS when there was all the furore over Nicholson.

Who is still in post. As will be Chris Smith until his tenure is up.

JessM Thu 13-Feb-14 17:49:47

Not a lot ordinary about M Archer I assure you.

durhamjen Thu 13-Feb-14 15:53:29

Yes, Bags, I mentioned David Nicholson, of NHS fame, because someone said that anyone who behaved like Chris Smith would have been sacked long ago.
David Nicholson is behaving even worse than Chris Smith, and the NHS is quite important. He has not been sacked. He will be leaving of his own accord, when he wants and with a big fat golden handshake and pension.

whitewave Thu 13-Feb-14 15:29:26

POGS OK lets accept the scenario that the people who work and live on the levels are best placed to know what is needed.

Now I assume that that this will almost certainly mean dredging. What else would be considered necessary?

margaretm74 Thu 13-Feb-14 11:52:48

No, I'm not making assumptions thatbags. Some of my friends and friends' children went to Oxbridge, but she did come from Cheltenham Ladies' College I believe, so presumably her family wasn' t struggling at the bottom of the housing ladder either as mentioned in the OP re Chris Smith. Although I didn't think he had always been rich, don't know about him.

JessM Thu 13-Feb-14 11:05:13

Archer has never worked in or for a big modern organisation.
Unless you count a Cambridge college as a big modern organisation... LOL grin They used to live , and probably still do, in the vicarage at Granchester, immortalised in the WW1 poem named after it "and is there honey still for tea?"

thatbags Thu 13-Feb-14 11:01:22

Well, yes, margaret, re Jeffrey's butt. wink

I don't know much about either of the Archers, but I feel I should sound a note of caution about making assumptions about people who attend Cambridge or Oxford. There are some people from very ordinary backgrounds at both those unis. I know the balance isn't right, but...

However, that's a digression. I'm still wondering about the purpose of top knobs in large organisations that they did not set up themselves. Are they just convenient buck stoppers?

margaretm74 Thu 13-Feb-14 10:21:37

Just thinking, thatbags, but very slowly these days - I meant she has probably had plenty of practice kicking Jeffrey's *

POGS Thu 13-Feb-14 10:06:10

B----y hell.

Isn't there a thread already on this political spin on here.

Public Appointments - Tory takeover.

margaretm74 Thu 13-Feb-14 09:58:49

No thatbags, but I think it helps.

I was referring back to the OP where it was commented that Lord Smith is so grand and rich he would never have struggled at the bottom of the housing ladder from which I took it that he could be out of touch with ordinary people and their lives.

The same could be said for Mary Archer (Cheltenham Ladies College, Cambridge etc)

thatbags Thu 13-Feb-14 09:53:13

Is being rich relevant to someone's ability to kick ass?

thatbags Thu 13-Feb-14 09:51:26

Have done, aka.

margaretm74 Thu 13-Feb-14 09:46:51

Mary is herself very rich of course, but she should be good for kicking ass getting things done as she must have had plenty of practice with Jeffrey

Aka Thu 13-Feb-14 09:42:40

Bags if you genuinely feel like that then PM me.

Meanwhile I'm moving on.

thatbags Thu 13-Feb-14 09:38:59

advisers ?

thatbags Thu 13-Feb-14 09:38:35

I've been wondering the same thing, riverwalk, about the top posts in these large organisations. I suppose they are where the buck stops, but how much day to day input do they really have? Don't they rely on advisors lower down the ladder who do and understand the work on the ground?

thatbags Thu 13-Feb-14 09:36:23

aka, WTF!? I'm baffled by most of that post. Me on your back? Well, well. And there was me feeling it was the other way round (and NOT knowing why). Hey ho.

Riverwalk Thu 13-Feb-14 09:30:30

It might not be a quango Jess but the selection process for top dog seems no different i.e. selected from the privileged few.

Aka Thu 13-Feb-14 09:19:45

Mary Archer would certainly be an improvement, and a scientist to boot. Tes, that proposal has legs.

Didn't I read she'd had bladder cancer recently?

JessM Thu 13-Feb-14 09:13:38

Its not a quango it is the operational arm of DEFRA.

Aka Thu 13-Feb-14 08:47:34

Look Bags you may find it difficult to know when my comments are just throw away and meant to be taken with a pinch of salt, but yours are not difficult to read.

I'm just a bit sick of your two faced posts like the one above.

'If they are that rubbish throw away then why make them?'

Firstly I .am entitled to put my opinion forward, yes even when it differs from yours
Secondly, I know why you're being unpleasant .. very easy to figure it out.

So just get off my back will you?

Thanks Iam

Riverwalk Thu 13-Feb-14 08:32:10

It's a two-day a week post - can the head of such a Quango have much influence over the direction and day to day workings?

They are just figureheads and political appointees.