Gransnet forums

News & politics

Abducted Nigerian Schoolgirls

(52 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-May-14 14:13:14

Moving on from the hijack of Bags' thread, I was just thinking.

How many school children have died in Syria? Shouldn't we have been/be up in arms about that? Gransnetters have never seemed to advocate any sort of help for them.

Is it because the Nigerian children are middle class girls?

JessM Sun 11-May-14 07:32:55

Here's a link re GB
gordonandsarahbrown.com/category/education-for-all/

JessM Sun 11-May-14 07:31:48

I think that is the point Lilygran - I know Sarah and Gordon Brown have been organising a petition as education for girls is their chosen area of campaigning. Because of GB's ex PM status he is able to bring influence to bear on the complacent Nigerian president. I think many of those campaigning in this country have Nigerian roots, family etc and they may have influence with relatives back home.

Aka Sat 10-May-14 16:17:52

That's a step in the right direction * Stansgran*

Stansgran Sat 10-May-14 15:35:10

Muslim leaders in Cameroon have condemned anyone who mighty think of buying any of these girls. There has been talk of mass weddings.

Lilygran Fri 09-May-14 20:42:17

I don't expect the campaign with celebrities will influence Boko Haram but it certainly seems to have influenced the Nigerian government.

rosequartz Fri 09-May-14 20:08:26

Do you mean she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't thatbags? Which sounds about right.

Let's hope there will soon be some action, but if we don't hear anything it may not mean there is nothing happening.

thatbags Fri 09-May-14 19:22:58

Don't worry, gknot. To be honest, I don't usually like the sort of 'campaign' that wants you to appear to feel strongly about something by holding a placard or wearing a badge (and because you can't be arsed to argue about it wink), but I think in this case MO, and others, cannae win whatever they do. It must be difficult in her position to know exactly what to say that will be "acceptable" to the masses (us). I can imagine the pressure she's under from some quarters to say something, but she won't want to say the wrong thing.

Well, there's a nicely vague and garbled havering from me! wink flowers

Grannyknot Fri 09-May-14 18:15:38

I'm not complaining Bags the picture just annoyed me, hashtag and all. Possibly because it's the end of a long hard day/week for me and I'm ratty, I'm taking it out on MO. So, best I get outta here and do some proper relaxing.

thatbags Fri 09-May-14 18:00:09

When people say nothing, people complain.
When people 'say' something by holding a placard indicating their disapproval of Boko Haram's actions, people complain.

Conclusion: people complain about what other people do to increase public awareness or to send a disapproving message to the perpetrators.

Sigh.

Grannyknot Fri 09-May-14 17:56:28

I watch the eNCA Channel (517 on Sky) for African news.

Grannyknot Fri 09-May-14 17:54:46

I think that Michelle Obama posing for a picture with a sign saying "Bring Back our Girls" is just dumb. Like, what's that going to achieve?

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/nigeria-kidnapped-schoolgirls-michelle-obama-joins-campaign-9336983.html

thatbags Fri 09-May-14 17:13:43

People keep saying this wasn't reported in the UK when it first happened. Yes it was. I read about it straight away. I can't remember whether it was via the BBC or something else. Then things went quiet, probably for the same reasons (diplomatic approaches to Nigerian govt) that the Browns did not make themselves heard right from the start.

granjura Fri 09-May-14 16:56:55

thatbags, totally agree. I'm sure they've been involved from the start, but were told or believed that it was best to try behind the doors action first. I've always admired Gordon Brown and his wife's honest Protestant ethics- and thought he was much maligned during his political career.

I am not religious, buy have prayed in my own way for these poor girls to be found and released- although it does not bear thinking about what they are going through at the moment, physically and emotionally.

Stansgran Fri 09-May-14 16:34:48

Allafrica is good for news. Johnathan took over from a Muslim president. I don't think all the girls were Muslim from that school from what I read.and thank you JBR for starting this thread.i wasnt intentionally hijacking another.

sunseeker Fri 09-May-14 12:45:06

I recall reading somewhere that it is thought the girls will be traded for imprisoned members of the group that took them.

I agree it is disgraceful it has taken this long for the main UK newspapers/channels to highlight this terrible act.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-May-14 11:57:54

pogs the World Service covers the African continent. You can get it online. Marvellous station. (I learned a lot about African football last night)

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-May-14 11:54:39

If the US/British teams do manage to find the girls, what then? These horrible people are hardly going to hand them over willingly. They slaughtered the inhabitants of two villages earlier this week which goes to show they are without scruples.Very worrying.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-May-14 11:49:33

POGS I love your description of yourself, but I don't believe it. grin

thatbags Fri 09-May-14 11:38:54

They're not their

!!!

thatbags Fri 09-May-14 11:38:18

tried not tired

thatbags Fri 09-May-14 11:38:05

I think the Browns (both of them) are very likely to have tired to initiate diplomacy in the background on this issue. That doesn't seem to have worked so now their making a noise. I have a lot of respect for both of them and their cuase to improve education for children who don't have it.

annodomini Fri 09-May-14 11:35:56

www.aworldatschool.org/pages/about-us

annodomini Fri 09-May-14 11:34:39

If you go on the Browns' web site, you will find that he has been working on UK and US governments to spur them into action. Gordon and Sarah Brown head an international business coalition, The World at School.

POGS Fri 09-May-14 10:59:10

S--t a brick now Gordon Brown is plastered all over our screens, jumping on the band wagon. Where has he been for the last 3weeks.

Gordon Brown is the Untitled Nations Special Envoy on Education. He must have known of this happening weeks ago. Our own government did hence William Hague had spoken of it and had offered help weeks ago, he had no response from the Nigerian Government.

At least we know why Gordon Brown is never in his seat in parliament.

GrannyKnot.

Have you ever heard or seen any Islamic regime speak out over anything that is being done by another islamist. The 'people' of Nigeria have been pleading with the government from the start, they too have been ignored, they are almost as shameful as Boko Haram but the world is watching them now.

The African Continent does not get much coverage in the UK you have to watch a foreign station, albeit on free view, to know what is happening in the rest of the world. angry

JessM Fri 09-May-14 07:27:30

Good point grannyknot - I would imagine that 99.999% of muslims are outraged about this crime. Not what they want someone to do in the name of the Prophet surely.
One does wonder whether the president would have got elected if he had not been lucky enough to be called "Goodluck" by his parents. But there seems, from what i understand, to have been a long running neglect and head in sand attitude from the much more affluent (very) christian part of Nigeria to the deprived and predominantly muslim area in which this crime took place.