Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tourism and the Tour De France

(17 Posts)
bimbadeen Sat 05-Jul-14 18:12:47

I would think that Tourism in Yorkshire will really benefit by the cycle race visiting the UK.

Looking at the shots of the wonderful countryside shown would make a lot of people want to visit.

Think a lot of people are camping because of prices offered for B&B £150.00 per night outlandish.

Many. many thousands of people around the course if not millions according to some of the commentators, shame about the crash at the finish , I think Mauk Cavendish would have won had he not fallen, he may have broken his collar bone.

rosesarered Sat 05-Jul-14 19:01:18

Yes, such a shame that he fell [and especially as he is a Yorkshireman].The Yorkshire Dales are lovely, and most of North Yorkshire in fact, they already benfit from good tourism I think [Harrogate is always heaving whenever I visit]but this will make even more people want to go there.Why are the business's so very greedy though, I mean £150 for a average B&B? Are you from there Bimbadeen?

J52 Sat 05-Jul-14 19:07:01

Looking at map! Off to SW Scotland tomorrow and often cut across from M1 through the Dales. We want to see the decorations in the villages.
Used to see the French leg, often when driving through France on hol. X

Nonu Sat 05-Jul-14 19:27:16

BIM , why did you not go on the other post?

Just asking ?
grin

FlicketyB Sun 06-Jul-14 13:52:01

Article in the Observer by a French journalist talking about what a revelation the wonderful countryside of Yorkshire is. He mentioned the Lake District as well.

DS and family live in York and the race is going along the main road they live off so there is a volcano of excitement in that household today. DGD's school also faces on the road and is a mass of yellow.

bimbadeen Sun 06-Jul-14 14:55:29

Rosesarered

No I'm a Southerner but livedninevery happy years in Yorks Ossett 1966-75 .

Nonu which other post , sorry if someone else has also covered the Tour.

Nonu Sun 06-Jul-14 15:04:45

BIM

Tour de France !

smile

rosesarered Sun 06-Jul-14 16:46:01

Welcome to the forum if you are new Bimbadeen

Nelliemoser Sun 06-Jul-14 18:05:06

I feel exhausted just watching the the racem How on earth do these guys do it for three weeks.

The turn out to watch the race was really impressive, as was the enthusiasm.
My dd lives in one of the places visited today but was flying off to France. She would have loved to watch the race.

Have these foreigners never taken notice of our lovely country. Small but beautiful is the UK we have lots of variation in landscape for such a small country.
You might just guess, I love our British countryside.

My DD lives in one of the places visited today but was flying off to France. She would have loved to watch the race.

I did rather enjoy the French captions on the television though.

"La place de la côte de Oughtibridge"
"La place de la côte de Jenkins Road."

Sheffield should rename these places in French.

Nelliemoser Sun 06-Jul-14 18:15:10

Oops! The "race."

merlotgran Sun 06-Jul-14 18:21:10

It's in Cambridge tomorrow. DGS and friends are catching an early train - most roads will be closed.

DD's friend's due date is also tomorrow. Plenty of alternative routes to the hospital but I think it would be great fun being 'blue lighted' through that lot!!

Maggiemaybe Sun 06-Jul-14 19:04:21

I was over in Leeds watching the race yesterday and there was a fantastic atmosphere in the city. So many people had dressed up - in yellow, cycling gear, red spots, Tour t-shirts - and turned up with flags and accessories and great good humour. We were lucky enough to have the perfect vantage point, with window seats, in the first floor offices of one of DD2's friends who works on the Headrow, so we had an easy time of it, chatting and drinking tea and scoffing bacon butties and croissants while we watched. The crowd was about 8 deep below us, so I don't think some of them saw much more than the tops of a couple of hundred cycling helmets whizzing past, but everybody seemed to enjoy themselves. We saw people from Norway, France, Germany in the crowd and a group across the road had draped the flag of Galicia over the railings (we'd to google that one!). There was a dash for the station afterwards for some, who wanted to get to the stage finish in Harrogate after seeing the start, but the rest of us stayed on to enjoy the big screens and other things going on in the city afterwards - a pop-up carnival, lots of stalls and exhibitions, and my particular favourite, a pop-up bar in the cellars of the Town Hall selling Magic Spanner beer. A great time was had by all. My favourite sign was one of the French/Yorkshire translations - Comme ci, comme ca = Neither nowt nor summat.

GrannyTwice Sun 06-Jul-14 19:22:58

MM - love it!

seasider Sun 06-Jul-14 21:30:44

Been to watch the Tour De France today. I was so excited when I found out it would be passing close to my childhood home. I had a lovely day with family and friends. It is the first time I have had a French picnic on the sliproad to the M62! I was very amused by the free samples of Yorkshire The (sorry no accent). Great to see so many people enjoying the atmosphere. Yorkshire did us proud!

janerowena Sun 06-Jul-14 21:32:47

We had to fetch DS and all his dirty washing out of Cambridge today, a day earlier than he wanted because we wouldn't have been able to get to him tomorrow, let alone park.

FlicketyB Tue 08-Jul-14 08:15:30

DS and family had a wonderful time in York on Sunday. The race went past the end of their road. They went out early to inspect all the decorations and said that the main Boroughbridge road was awash with yellow. DGD's school had a line of bikes the children had made tied to the railings.

As the race time got nearer those with houses onto the road began erecting gazebos in their gardens and getting the barbecues out. The race was preceded by a procession of sponsor' floats chucking out promotional freebies. The peloton itself swept past in seconds but the partying went on all day.

Mamie Tue 08-Jul-14 08:39:36

We travelled the route round Swaledale and Wensleydale yesterday and it was still fabulous. Everyone was still talking about it in pubs and shops and the decorations are fantastic and so many done with dry Yorkshire humour. We loved all the barns and garages with red spots and the hay bales done as Wensleydale cheeses. Lots of tourists everyehere and cyclists attempting Le Côte de Buttertubs.