Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will you be doing this?

(14 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Thu 10-Jul-14 21:29:32

My GS is in Belgium at the moment and they have been doing the WW1 sites. His mum had a text from him today telling her they were in "yepres". grin Not sure how much he's learning! hmm

thatbags Thu 10-Jul-14 21:28:15

Aren’t I always? wink

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 10-Jul-14 21:26:15

So kind Bags. grin

thatbags Thu 10-Jul-14 21:23:21

The history of WW1, all wars, is indeed poignant, but I don't see how my reflecting on that at a particular time will help anybody or anything. However, anyone who thinks it's a nice thing to do is free to join in, which is good.

annodomini Thu 10-Jul-14 21:21:07

Not a problem - unless they're switching off in France as well.

durhamjen Thu 10-Jul-14 21:17:43

Have to look at this next week with my grandson. We've been learning about WW1.
I was going to take him to the DLI museum today, but it was closed because of the strike. I'll take him next week instead.
I have a solar globe in my window, so I will not need to keep an electric light on or light a candle.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 10-Jul-14 20:51:02

Bags this page tells you what it's all about.

Quite poignant really.

I would like to be in London on that night to see all the lights but one go out in the Houses of Parliament, and on Tower Bridge.

I will probably watch the broadcast on BBC2 from Westminster Abbey, with the candles going out one by one until only one remains.

thatbags Thu 10-Jul-14 20:22:41

Reflection about what?

I'll probably be asleep in the dark anyhow. I tend to do my reflecting at times when my brain isn't tired.

Gagagran Thu 10-Jul-14 20:19:58

I'll be in bed and may even be asleep!

Mishap Thu 10-Jul-14 19:39:39

I wouldn't like to be in duty in A&E that day!

merlotgran Thu 10-Jul-14 15:42:06

I won't bother but I can't see a problem. Remember the blackouts during the early seventies?

janerowena Thu 10-Jul-14 15:39:23

My friends and I all did it years ago when they introduced it, it seemed like a good idea - the stick we got from family wasn't worth it though! It used to be at 8pm, though, I think. So probably soaps and stuff pulled too powerful an attraction.

Charleygirl Thu 10-Jul-14 14:32:14

Definitely not. I would end up going to another room, falling and ending up being hospitalised with a # neck of femur. I need all the lighting available here as I have eye problems anyway.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 10-Jul-14 13:35:29

Lights Out

DH would probably just have the telly on anyway. He never bothers to put light on. So it would just be me in the other room on the pooter.

Nice idea though.