Gransnet forums

News & politics

Defence against rape?

(6 Posts)
Lona Wed 06-Aug-14 18:59:06

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08/06/india-rape-penis-cut-off_n_5654465.html?1407334809

A young Indian girl, raped by her uncle, cut off his penis when he tried to rape her a second time.
Part of me wants to say "Good for you" and part of me feels that this violent response may cause even more violent rapes.

Iam64 Wed 06-Aug-14 19:24:17

What a powerful, planned response by this young woman. I'm stunned. The incident reminded me of a recent post, about the father in America, who beat his son's abuser badly. That wasn't a planned attack, yet many of us expressed concern about the decision not to charge him being made by the investigating officer.

If this was the Uk, would she be charged, and if so, would any jury convict? I do hope you're fears are incorrect Lona.

Mishap Wed 06-Aug-14 19:26:58

This is a bit of a strange story, as she appears to have been raped on the one occasion and on the second gone along armed to amputate. It seems odd that she should return where there was such risk - unless family pressure/honour was a part of it. It was clearly a premeditated act on her part, and I would guess that would colour the view of the law.

If she was forced into a second encounter with this man, then one can only have enormous sympathy with her actions - there was little else she could do. Rape is a violent act and only a violent response has any chance of stopping the action.

Ana Wed 06-Aug-14 19:30:56

Yes, it's the premeditation aspect which is troubling in this case, as you say, Mishap.

Lona Wed 06-Aug-14 21:13:38

"We should applaud her bravery and courage", can you imagine our police service responding in that way?

Eloethan Thu 07-Aug-14 00:50:34

I think I prefer a system where the police take a rape allegation seriously, treat the alleged victim with care and respect, apprehend and try the alleged rapist and then imprison him if he's found guilty. Sadly, it appears that this doesn't always - or even often - happen in India, and a police chief praising such an act is, in my opinion, proof of a disreputable and dysfunctional justice system.

In my view, condoning an act of savagery - however appropriate it may seem to some - just normalises brutality and ultimately creates a brutal and lawless society.