Gransnet forums

News & politics

Statue of Amy Winehouse

(15 Posts)
JessM Sun 14-Sep-14 21:07:32

Do we really need graven images such as this? What is it FOR? Is it to become a place of pilgrimage?

www.theguardian.com/music/2014/sep/14/amy-winehouse-statue-unveiled-camden-london

Penstemmon Sun 14-Sep-14 21:25:34

There are statues of other celebrities ... www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/apr/19/celebrity-statues-britain-art and as far back as 2009 people were querying the reasoning/purpose for these. Though maybe in years to come people passing one will take the time to read about the person!

Mishap Sun 14-Sep-14 21:53:00

Celebs are so fleeting now and two a penny. Not sure these statues are quite the ticket.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 14-Sep-14 22:05:24

That is mad. Her father sounds bonkers too. hmm

Iam64 Mon 15-Sep-14 08:08:46

She was indeed a talent, but no more so than many other young people who went early to their graves because of addictions.

I found the image of her father gazing at her nauseating. I sympathise with parents whose children abuse drugs and alcohol. I've always felt uneasy about the way Mr W seems to live his life vicariously on Amy's fame and talent. He seems to see himself as some kind of expert on addictions - he isn't.

Agus Mon 15-Sep-14 08:37:02

It's nonsense! Her father is obviously not willing to let his share of the limelight go. Very odd.

whitewave Mon 15-Sep-14 10:08:05

Blimey!

glammanana Mon 15-Sep-14 10:47:51

Such a talented artist and a shame about her addiction problem and lifestyle choices,her father seems to be living on his daughters fame & fortune I don't think a statue is a good way of portraying her talents to younger people in my opinion as it is glorifying her addictions really.

granjura Mon 15-Sep-14 11:25:50

She was indeed very talented and her death was tragic. But a statue??? Totally the wrong message althogether.

suebailey1 Mon 15-Sep-14 15:04:25

Her music should be memorial enough- its is very good I do enjoy it but this lady was on self destruct its not a very good role model for anyone.

suzied Mon 15-Sep-14 18:35:32

I saw her dad on the news saying that he wanted the statue to be a focus for her fans rather than her house which is nearby where fans have been hanging out and annoying the neighbours etc. I can understand that .

Stansgran Tue 16-Sep-14 09:16:38

I like statues sitting on benches, like Picasso in Malaga and Eleanor Rigby in Liverpool. They are not so intrusive. And there was a sculptor who did lots of laughing Chinese sitting on benches.cant remember the name.

Stansgran Tue 16-Sep-14 09:43:22

Munoz. www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/munoz-towards-the-corner-t07872

dorsetpennt Tue 16-Sep-14 16:26:00

Are there statues of other singers/movie stars/celebs etc with statues in their honour?, I know there is one to Eric Morecombe and another to Stan Laurel in towns up north. However, they'd put years into their craft and hadn't died of 'unnatural causes', I loved her voice and she had a fabulous talent but did she merit a statue ? All the talented people who've died in the past should they all have statues, would we have room for them all. There isn't even a statue to Princess Diana in London just a rather silly fountain.
Maybe it helps her father in the grieving process.

Marmight Tue 16-Sep-14 16:52:03

I agree that it is not quite the ticket and sends the wrong message; Even if it helps her father in the grieving process, what would the place be like if we all decided to put up statues of our nearest and dearest! (no doubt the Planning Departments would be down on us like a ton of bricks) They are just as important as these fly by night celebrities....... [Iamamiserableoldbagemoticon]