Gransnet forums

News & politics

GN POLL Scotland yes or no - calling all Scottish gransnetters

(12 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 15-Sep-14 09:31:55

At the 2005, General Election 75 per cent of those over 65 voted, compared to just 37 per cent of those aged 18 – 24. This trend has continued - and the Scotland vote on Thursday looks likely to follow suit.

So - if it's the "grey vote" that counts, we thought we should do our own mini referendum of Scottish gransnetters to see what they are thinking.

Just one box to tick and all answers are entirely anonymous. Our poll will close at 9am tomorrow (Tuesday 16 September)

VOTE NOW!! https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WN756G5

annodomini Mon 15-Sep-14 10:19:52

I feel sure that the youngsters, voting for the first time, and conscious of their importance in this referendum, will take the opportunity to become part of history.
Can I vote in the G'net referendum as I am a non-resident Scot?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 15-Sep-14 10:25:53

You can!

Granny23 Mon 15-Sep-14 10:39:03

Cari don't know where you got your information but I do know that it was mainly younger people who were queuing up to register to vote, and most of the 16/17 year olds are fully informed and excited about their first vote. 97% of the population are registered to vote and a very high turnout is expected = 80%+. It seems that polls, carried out by traditional methods and based on the opinions of people who voted in the last General Election are mainly NO, whereas polls undertaken via social media are YES by a mile. It will be interesting to see how this changing demographic affects the final outcome.

mcem Mon 15-Sep-14 10:55:54

Last week BBC broadcast a debate involving 16 and 17 year-olds. A friend whose daughter was taking part has been in touch to say that audience members, when asked their voting intentions, were requested to say that they were undecided. This is because the Yes voters so outnumbered the Nos that the programme would seem unbalanced!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 15-Sep-14 11:02:31

Granny23 - fair point. In general elections it's very much the case but this may well, as you say, be different. Will be very interesting to see if it carries through to the next General Election

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 15-Sep-14 16:07:18

mcem shock I thought the BBC was supposed to be honest and upfront these days. Not do any audience manipulation?!

Lilygran Mon 15-Sep-14 16:34:43

Since no-one outside Scotland gets to vote on the possible destruction of the Union, there doesn't seem much point in surveying Scottish rather than Scotland-dwelling GNs.

Frannygranny Mon 15-Sep-14 22:22:18

Cari when are the results being published?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 17-Sep-14 12:56:49

Oops - I was in the middle of doing it and then clearly got distracted

The results are

55% no
45% yes

Galen Wed 17-Sep-14 13:14:38

Closely following the national trend then.
Interesting

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 17-Sep-14 13:24:41

Isn't it?

There will be a lot of us glued to the telly tomorrow night and into the wee small hours