Gransnet forums

News & politics

They still don't get it

(195 Posts)
MiceElf Tue 02-Dec-14 18:33:35

Claridges that is. A breastfeeding mother was instructed to cover up by a waiter who appeared with a large table napkin to hide the baby and mother.

Apart from the fact that this violates the terms of the Equalities Act, it's amazing that these attitudes still persist in some ghastly institutions.

thatbags Tue 02-Dec-14 21:40:28

glass, I did a "save image" on my iPad first and then did the tweet.

thatbags Tue 02-Dec-14 21:45:26

nonu, why shouldn't a woman "make the point" that it is ridiculous that everyone else is allowed to eat in public except babies at their mothers' breast?

If that's what she was doing. I think she was just having a nice tea with some relatives and, naturally, the baby came with her because she's its food supply and while she was out having a nice time with her relatives the baby was hungry.

Clearly the 'point' needs making that a lot of people are extremely screwed up!

rosesarered Tue 02-Dec-14 21:47:43

There is no reason for anyone to get hot under the collar about a woman breastfeeding in public, but my point was not about banishing; rather that a lovely quiet room to breastfeed with a comfy chair would actually be nicer for the woman herself, than in the middle of a maybe busy and noisy cafe. I would have loved a place like that when I was feeding any of my own 3 children.Then, afer the baby was fed, to go and enjoy a meal with friends in the cafe.

thatbags Tue 02-Dec-14 21:48:08

Meanwhile other women go around with cleavages down to their navels and nobody minds. People are weird. They'll be "taking offence" at wee lamikins' feeding next.

thatbags Tue 02-Dec-14 21:49:36

I don't agree, roses. I think it's nicer just to let women decide for themselves where they will breast feed their babies. If they want to do it in private, fine. If they want to do it in a restaurant, fine too.

rosesarered Tue 02-Dec-14 21:50:21

At least, that way, there would be a choice for the mother, and she could do what she wanted to.

thatbags Tue 02-Dec-14 21:51:54

Look at the pics I linked to. People used to be much more straightforward about such a natural thing. Even The Madonna was depicted breast feeding.

rosesarered Tue 02-Dec-14 21:53:08

I wasn't suggesting the 'room' was obligatory, but that if a store provided one, they could use it if they wanted to.

thatbags Tue 02-Dec-14 21:53:13

The mother in question was doing what she wanted to do.

Nonu Tue 02-Dec-14 21:53:22

Thatbags 21.45, don"t get your point !!
tchhmm

thatbags Tue 02-Dec-14 21:54:52

The trouble with hotels providing "special retreating rooms" for breast feeding is that silly people would then start telling women they had to use the special retreating rooms because it was hotel "policy".

Nonu Tue 02-Dec-14 21:55:36

Sorry but Claridges , still think the woman was grinding an axe !
tchhmm

thatbags Tue 02-Dec-14 21:56:24

nonu, you said that perhaps the woman was trying to make a point. I said why shouldn't she make a point. Not sure if I can say it simpler.

thatbags Tue 02-Dec-14 21:56:57

Why shouldn,t she grind an axe? Especially one that obviously needs grinding.

thatbags Tue 02-Dec-14 21:57:18

Beause stupid people are hung up about breast feeding.

rosesarered Tue 02-Dec-14 21:58:11

Not that stores do anything now for the convenience of the customer, there used to be a few chairs scattered around for us older mature women to have a sit down on, that seems to have gone now.Talk about shop 'til you drop.

MiceElf Tue 02-Dec-14 21:58:54

No she wasn't. She was feeding her baby. No point making. But even if she was, why shouldn't she?

Nonu Tue 02-Dec-14 22:11:40

I agree Roses they used to be chairs dotted around for mature shoppers, are they there any more, , hell no , we could be on our knees for all they care.
Another point what about the hubbies/partners [have to be so PC these days ] who are fed up to the back teeth with shopping and need a little rest, whilst the laydee of the house is choosing, do they get a chair I think not !

Utter disgrace to my mind !!

Good mind to write to my MP

Disgusted of Suffolk.
tchsmile

Soutra Tue 02-Dec-14 22:20:48

if anything when I had our DDs in Queen Mary's and the Westminster it was the "yummy mummies" who breastfed so odds are Kate would have breastfed George and will feed the next one. I just don't get why anyone would think a nursing mum should not be expected to want to go out for afternoon tea with her own and sister (I think) at Claridges/the Ritz / the
Wolseley or anywhere.

granjo39 Tue 02-Dec-14 22:23:06

You don't need a special room to feed baby-My DD is feeding her 6mth old son on demand.When going out she usually wears a largish chiffony scarf with which she covers baby,this is nice and light and most people would have no idea that she is breastfeeding.It is possible to feed baby without drawing attention to oneself.

rosesarered Tue 02-Dec-14 22:23:29

Please leave your poor old MP alone nonu there are too many 'disgusteds of Suffolk' [and other places] around at the moment!
It's almost Christmas, let's crack open the Baileys and mellow out a bit.tchsmile

Ana Tue 02-Dec-14 22:26:56

If there were still any chairs dotted round stores these days, they'd probably be hijacked by breastfeeding mothers anyway, Nonu! tchgrin

Ana Tue 02-Dec-14 22:27:28

(And why not, of course...tchwink)

Nonu Tue 02-Dec-14 22:47:10

Granjo* that is lovely and the proper way to do it. If she had been Claridges , no-one would have raised an eyebrow , but it seems the woman had to be offered a napkin.

OK ROSES I will not be contacting my MP[I was just having a little joke, he is about as much use as a chocolate teapot]

*ANA, Teehee, you little minx.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 02-Dec-14 23:00:06

I would so love to have some spray cans of paint and be able to go and scrawl that line that Nelliemoser posted, across the front of Claridges. In very big letters.

"A breast full of milk, and a manger full of hay"