Gransnet forums

News & politics

Our Pathetic Press

(5 Posts)
durhamjen Mon 23-Feb-15 18:46:51

HSBC profits have gone down by over 17%. Shame. Hope the same happens to the Telegraph.

durhamjen Mon 23-Feb-15 18:45:49

Spinwatch on the Telegraph.

spinwatch.org/index.php/issues/finance-lobbying/item/5741-peter-oborne-the-telegraph-hsbc-and-its-lobbyists

Eloethan Mon 23-Feb-15 12:42:55

Yes, it's funny how this story has broken now - when the heat is on The Telegraph for not covering the HSBC scandal.

durhamjen Mon 23-Feb-15 12:32:05

The Telegraph is owned by the Barclay brothers who live in Guernsey and do not pay British taxes. They probably have accounts in Switzerland, too.
They are probably good friends of Gulliver at HSBC, who also salts money in offshore accounts and does not pay his taxes.
All legal, so they will say, just like Straw and Rifkind, but immoral all the same.
The reason Oborne left the Telegraph was because of the interference at the top.

Gracesgran Mon 23-Feb-15 12:18:01

So, the Telegraph, a paper I would have held in some esteem in the past while not agreeing with all of their views, cannot report on HSBC taking the country for billions but does, rather than being good, assiduous investigative journalism, try to blacken the names of two MPs, who even Channel 4 and the Telegraph seem to say have actually done nothing wrong by use of an underhand sting.

I don't rate MPs at the top of my list of those I hold in high esteem but journalists have fallen even further with this latest scam.