Gransnet forums

News & politics

A new recruit for the relationship thread ??

(38 Posts)
absentgrandma Sun 08-Mar-15 16:19:51

I read (in the DM, so could be a load of rubbish!!) that a certain High Person as been bemoaning the fact that he has been cut out of his grandson's life. DIL's mum is reported ( by High Person's friends) to have taken over 3rd -in -line- to- the- throne to the exclusion of Grandpa's esteemed family.

Now I read MIL is moving in to replace the housekeeper! OMG !!

rosequartz Sun 08-Mar-15 23:14:38

'Friends' can be primed to drop a word or two in the ear of a sympathetic journalist.

If one had 100 rooms one could accommodate one's in-laws without them being constantly under one's feet.

People in an average 3 bed semi might find it a little too cosy for comfort.

absent Sun 08-Mar-15 23:03:00

This news was all over so-called news websites last week none of which identified the source(s) and all of which felt obliged to point out that the Cambridges did not attend the Royal Family's traditional Christmas dinner last year. It was just about as interesting as the article dedicated to the appearance of a fews grey hairs on the Duchess's head.

grannyactivist Sun 08-Mar-15 22:45:23

If any of this 'reporting' is at all accurate, which I find doubtful in the extreme, I have a couple of questions:
Who are these 'friends' who are quoted extensively I wonder?
And how much money changed hands to get them to betray confidences?

gillybob Sun 08-Mar-15 22:40:22

Completely weird. All of them.

merlotgran Sun 08-Mar-15 22:20:59

They live on the estate so they've gone back to the Big House.

They were probably only on loan.

I wonder how long the nanny will last?

granjo39 Sun 08-Mar-15 22:16:12

Why did the original housekeeper and gardener leave? Perhaps a little push? wink

janerowena Sun 08-Mar-15 21:30:47

But it's in the Daily Fail! Of course it's not true!

GrannyTwice Sun 08-Mar-15 20:56:31

Well I think it's chickens coming home to roost - when you think how previously anyone marrying into the royal family had to give up their own families - especially at Christmas , it's great to see the boot on the other foot. The queen never seemed to care about sharing Christmas out which the rest of us grapple with so about time there was a rebalancing

Deedaa Sun 08-Mar-15 20:24:13

If Kate didn't spend much time with her mother the DM would be the first to proclaim that she had become to grand for her own family and had dropped them completely.

Charles should really join Gransnet and get some advice from others who feel they're missing out.

loopylou Sun 08-Mar-15 18:33:09

William probably has had more of a 'family life' since he met Kate than since he was born, so good on him, IMO.
He hopefully wants to ensure he has children who are well-adjusted and 'normal', rather than being brought up in an environment totally removed from reality.

Mishap Sun 08-Mar-15 18:26:35

I think it is a temporary move till new staff are found and the new babe is born. I imagine there is a fair amount of space so they will not be treading on each other's toes.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-Mar-15 18:24:07

That's very true Mishap.

merlotgran Sun 08-Mar-15 18:23:05

But how many SILs want their in laws to move in?

merlotgran Sun 08-Mar-15 18:21:07

I doubt it, jingl. Apparently Kate is allergic to horses hmm

Mishap Sun 08-Mar-15 18:21:04

I am not surprised that they are gravitating towards a family atmosphere rather than the poker-up-the-arse lot at Buck Palace etc. Good for Wills for knowing what he wants for his family - or rather what he does not want.

Most girls at the start of their married life look to their mothers for support and I guess Kate is no different.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-Mar-15 18:17:05

I'm surprised the Queen hasn't got him on a pony yet. Perhaps she has I suppose.

Ana Sun 08-Mar-15 18:16:52

I wonder what he wants to be called - 'Grandpapa' perhaps? Or something a bit more characterful.

merlotgran Sun 08-Mar-15 18:15:20

I think a lot of people who become grandparents when they're in their late sixties - or older, feel pushed aside by younger, trendier in-laws.

rosequartz Sun 08-Mar-15 18:12:39

I think the housekeeper/chief gardener jobs are just temporary as the others left hmm and they will be recruiting new staff.

Perhaps HRH doesn't invite DS and DIL over enough? Or offers to have DGS to give them a break, poor things!
Goes both ways.

I do think he would be quite a good GP - toddlers love gardens and knocking down looking at plants.

KatyK Sun 08-Mar-15 18:08:46

It crossed my mind when I read it, it's not just us ordinary folks that have this problem then.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-Mar-15 17:57:37

I don't believe that about Camilla. She wouldn't risk that getting back to Kate.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-Mar-15 17:56:19

I think he does care. Very much. It's very sad. sad [sniff]

loopylou Sun 08-Mar-15 17:44:12

That's probably very true Tegan smile
Bet he's feeling peeved because C has her GCs and he isn't the centre of attention?

Tegan Sun 08-Mar-15 17:37:12

I can't imagine he loses much sleep about not seeing his GS; would probably rather talk to his plants than a toddler.

merlotgran Sun 08-Mar-15 17:19:27

I read in the DM (so it must be true) that Camilla refers to the Middletons as 'Meet the Fockers' grin