Gransnet forums

News & politics

Our national bird

(81 Posts)
louella Mon 16-Mar-15 11:06:54

I noticed this story in the papers today - my choice would be robin but I was interested in what others might think www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11474158/Robin-or-wren-Vote-for-our-national-bird.html

MiniMouse Mon 16-Mar-15 15:40:08

I'm with NellieM and Nina - the blackbird because of its voice smile

yogagran Mon 16-Mar-15 15:47:36

I agree with grumppa - the wren - mainly because it used to be on the farthing

feetlebaum Mon 16-Mar-15 16:59:30

It was only on the farthing because it was thought, wrongly, to be our smallest bird. So how about a vote for the goldcrest?

Or the dodo... that would be symbolic.

pompa Mon 16-Mar-15 17:13:01

National bird !!! Barbara Windsor surely smile. But I would vote for the plucky little wren.

absent Mon 16-Mar-15 19:10:57

Here at the end of the world we have a unique eco-system, so the kiwi was the obvious choice. It's a unique bird too as it is the only one in the entire world that hunts for its food by smell. Were I in the UK I think would probably vote for a water bird, such as a heron or avocet – obviously not a Canada goose.

granjura Mon 16-Mar-15 22:03:05

kiwi makes total sense- but all the other birds mentioned are just and possibly more numerous in other parts of Europe- robin, wren, blackbird, etc, etc- so how could anyone be UK national bird? Makes no sense.

Ana Mon 16-Mar-15 22:07:37

It doesn't have to make sense. The idea is to vote for "the bird that best represents all that is great about this nation."

What's wrong with that?

granjura Mon 16-Mar-15 22:20:40

Put that way- fair enough. It is just that the Kiwi in NZ, or the Cardinal in Arizona, etc- make sense as they are so frequent there and not in other places.

durhamjen Mon 16-Mar-15 22:46:15

Very few water birds can be seen everywhere in the UK. I do not think there are any owls that can be seen everywhere, either.

I voted for the blackbird. One day last weekend I walked along the cycle track and saw about half a dozen pairs in 500 metres. They are instantly recognisable, in appearance, movement and song.

Anya Mon 16-Mar-15 23:04:17

Seagulls Jen? We even have them here as far away from the sea as you can get.

At my daughter's secondary school they have to hire a Bird of Prey handier who flies his bird every break time and lunch time to keep the seagulls away. Health and Safety in case the guano fall on one of of the pupils and they get an infection from it.

No, it's not April 1st yet.

annodomini Mon 16-Mar-15 23:53:11

My favourite is the chaffinch - omnipresent and very perky. There are few times or places where you can't see and hear them.

annodomini Mon 16-Mar-15 23:59:07

I have now looked at the short list and see that the bluetit is listed. I get a lot of pleasure from these pretty little birds at my bird feeder and as the chaffinch doesn't get a nomination, I back the bluetit.

ffinnochio Tue 17-Mar-15 11:41:46

I vote for a blackbird. Beautiful song.

Anniebach Tue 17-Mar-15 15:40:01

Which bird is seen throughout the UK, tip of Scotland to Cornwall , N I and Wales ? Not as in garden watch , not everyone is a bird watcher

Falconbird Wed 18-Mar-15 18:22:08

The Mistle Thrush. I haven't seen one for ages - quite worried about it.

annodomini Wed 18-Mar-15 19:10:38

Anniebach, surely the bird that fits your description has to be the uniquitous pigeon. grin

rosequartz Wed 18-Mar-15 19:46:17

plus the Welsh have a national vegetable which seems a bit OTT IMHO

but it means we can make a national soup! wink

A blackbird or songthrush.

Or what about a woodpecker, pecking away at the national tree?

Anya Thu 19-Mar-15 07:34:03

Absent what are those birds that wander all over the place in NZ? They were about the size of a large chicken, long legs, liked to walk a lot and has blue on their chest, if my memory serves me correctly?

Anya Thu 19-Mar-15 07:36:10

Rose (sorry to go off piste) I make a very tasty Welsh quiche with loads of leeks and Caerphilly.

rosequartz Thu 19-Mar-15 15:15:31

I remember you saying at St David's Day Anya - have you put the recipe on GN?

When I have finished my diet I will make one as a treat! (the trouble is with pastry, cake, cheese etc I could scoff the lot!).

Anniebach Thu 19-Mar-15 17:44:36

then the pigeon annodomini smile, or the grouse, it is very popular with some !

loopylou Thu 19-Mar-15 17:50:26

Definitely the wren, I remember it on the thre'penny bit smile!

Bez Thu 19-Mar-15 17:55:58

The wren was on the farthing - the threepenny bit had something like a dandelion or daisy on the back.

loopylou Thu 19-Mar-15 18:01:28

Oops! blush
I'm not quite that old........

grumppa Thu 19-Mar-15 18:07:45

The threepenny bit had the thrift on it; I think I saw it on the new design for the one pound coin the other day.