Gransnet forums

News & politics

Name one MP that you really hope will be re-elected and describe them in 3 words

(79 Posts)
GrannyTwice Fri 17-Apr-15 18:19:10

For me, it's Caroline Lucas - bright, articulate, principled

durhamjen Fri 17-Apr-15 22:53:47

I looked Dennis Skinner up, GrannyTwice. I didn't think he was still standing, but he is, at 83.

GrannyTwice Fri 17-Apr-15 22:57:30

Just looked him up - he seems a bit underwhelming- is this fair?

GrannyTwice Fri 17-Apr-15 22:58:20

That was to Charleygirl

GrannyTwice Fri 17-Apr-15 22:59:24

Quite a funny x-post. Could think of lots of words to describe DS but underwhelming wouldn't be one

durhamjen Fri 17-Apr-15 23:08:23

I realised, GrannyTwice.
Where do you look your MPs up? I looked up Gareth Thomas on www.theyworkforyou.com and he sounded okay to me. He's a member from the Cooperative group and USDAW, and is trying to get more cooperative housing in London. He sounds better than I expected for Harrow.

Tegan Fri 17-Apr-15 23:20:49

Is Dennis Skinner standing?! Can only be described as a 'force of nature'. But I also agree about Nick Clegg; although I was very annoyed with him after the election I've forgiven him cause I think he is still 'a decent bloke'.

GrannyTwice Fri 17-Apr-15 23:24:59

He just sounded a bit boring < looking for excitement> - very shallow.

GrannyTwice Fri 17-Apr-15 23:26:25

X post again - I mean this Gareth bloke. If this were MN we coukd do a shag, marry, cliff thread about MPs

gillybob Fri 17-Apr-15 23:34:01

Mostove Em - full of sh*t

durhamjen Fri 17-Apr-15 23:39:28

Pleased I'm not on MN, GrannyTwice. Do not like to think that way about most MPs.

GrannyTwice Fri 17-Apr-15 23:46:56

TBF MN just did it about EM, NC and DC. It was very funny. Gilly who is Mostove Em?

GrannyTwice Fri 17-Apr-15 23:49:43

Ha - got it! #bitslowtonight

Nelliemoser Fri 17-Apr-15 23:56:50

I can remember the name of the sitting MP in my constituency. I know there is a candidate called Darren something or other. I have no idea who else is standing.

I very much doubt that there will be any change in the sitting MP here, but I will vote. It's the sort of place that hasn't changed party in the last 28 yrs and probably long before that.
It's so nice to be keeping out of all this.

durhamjen Sat 18-Apr-15 00:03:57

Not Osborne, is it, Nellie? I try to forget his name.

Nelliemoser Sat 18-Apr-15 00:25:42

Durhamj George Osbourne is Tatton constituency (Knutsford way.)
Very posh or full pf Footballers wives and a few gangsters, as is Wilmslow, Alderly Edge and a few other Very Posh places.

My MP is Fiona Bruce. Not the TV presenter one. Congleton Borough.

durhamjen Sat 18-Apr-15 00:48:46

I knew that, Nellie. Your profile just says Cheshire. If the Tories get back in, I hope they frack there first. Apparently there's a lot of shale there. In his constituency, I mean, not yours.
My husband once had a job over that way, and he was put up in Knutsford for a month in a posh hotel.
However, I do like Alan Garner's books about Alderley Edge.

Charleygirl Sat 18-Apr-15 07:48:58

GrannyTwice Gareth is probably a decent bloke but he does little for what matters around here- decent hospitals and lifts at some tube stations. I am marooned because of the latter.

There has not been a single leaflet from the Labour Party locally- he will probaly sail in again but it would be nice to see some effort made. The Conservative candidate has worked her socks off so I at least know her name. Gareth sailed home with 23,500 votes 20 + years ago, last time it was over 3,000 but I think that he may still win.

Such a pity we lost the head of the Monster Raving Loony Party, I met him in a charity shop years ago. Sorry I have gone off piste slightly.

Lilygran Sat 18-Apr-15 08:22:58

There are probably a lot of conscientious, hard-working and honest MPs who don't get into the news. And I think politics in this country would be hugely improved if we voted for the person rather than the party. I know a lot of people already do, but many more vote for anyone who stands for the party they support. The standard of political debate in this country is very low and political education is practically non-existent.

GrannyTwice Sat 18-Apr-15 09:00:42

Lily - I abdolutely agree with your last sentence . As for the rest, hiw could it work in practice ? How can we separate out the candidate from the policies of the party s/he is representing? In a representative democracy, that's how it works - it's the nearest we can get to accountability - if I vote for you I have a broad idea of what you stand for. What I would really love to see however and this applies across the board is a return to candidates with strong local roots - coming up through being a local councillor used to be quite common. The electorate really knew the candidates and they had shown their commitment and values over the years. Now all parties parachute in golden boys and girls too often from limited backgrounds such as political advisers, researchers.

Anniebach Sat 18-Apr-15 09:52:12

Andy Burnham

Anne Clwyd is standing down

Ana Sat 18-Apr-15 10:50:49

No, she changed her mind and is standing again.

Jane10 Sat 18-Apr-15 17:32:12

We had a terrific independent MSP up here Margo McDonald but sadly she became progressively debilitated with PD and died. She was working for her constituency till the end. I wish there were more independents like her around to ask the awkward questions and not have to bother about sucking up to any particular party in the hope of getting jobs in government.

Parcs Sat 18-Apr-15 18:18:49

Tony Blair
1.He was a genuine human being
2. He truly cared about the people of Britain
3. He got it wrong a few times but he always tried his very best

PS I guess I do prefer labour because they do try and end poverty and take care of the under privileged

However I do appreciate that it is important to take care of the businessman because it is the business man that keeps the economy going

Hey Ho why can't they all work together to make Britain a good place to live

ffinnochio Sat 18-Apr-15 18:19:39

If I were able to vote in the UK, I would choose Sarah Champion, MP for Rotherham. Not because she's Labour, but for her straightforwardness and clarity.

Ana Sat 18-Apr-15 18:27:34

Thankfully, Tony Blair is not up for re-election!