Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rude numberplates

(19 Posts)
campinggran Tue 26-May-15 11:18:21

Did anyone else see this story in the Guardian at the weekend? www.theguardian.com/money/2015/may/22/dvla-bans-bl03-job-but-allows-an-org45m

Basically the vehicle licensing authority released a list of all the number plates that are not allowed (mainly personalised I think though possibly a few that would have come up 'naturally')

So PEN15 and ORG45M ARE allowed but not VA61ANA or BL03 JOB. Who makes these decisions?!

Personally I am not a fan of any personalised number plates - I think they are a bit naff and cannot understand why people pay a fortune (up to quarter of a million pounds) for them

crun Tue 26-May-15 12:11:51

thumbsnap.com/s/7kI6Jjxi.jpg

thatbags Tue 26-May-15 13:48:12

If PEN15 is allowed, I think VA61NA should be too. Allowing one and not the other is sexist.

I agree that they tend to be a bit naff but some are quite amusing.

Soutra Tue 26-May-15 13:58:34

Naff doesn't come close. What do these silly number plates say about the driver?
W4NK38??grin

rosesarered Tue 26-May-15 15:43:33

Good one Soutra!.grin

lefthanded Tue 26-May-15 16:51:12

There used to be a silver Mercedes used as a taxi in Newport with the registration OBO 110 X, split so that it looked like O BO110X

Seriously, the police are clamping down on mis-spaced plates as well as plates in the wrong font as they cannot be recognised by ANPR cameras. But I think DVLA must carry some of the blame as they sell number plates - and those that can be construed as words sell for higher prices.

J52 Tue 26-May-15 17:01:19

I always thought that a car without correct number plate spacing would fail an MOT. The fine for incorrect display used to be £1000 .

That's why my personal plate require a little working out!grin x

J52 Tue 26-May-15 17:02:26

I typed grin something's gone wrong! x

absent Tue 26-May-15 20:45:08

Personal and customised number plates in New Zealand are very popular. BUGGER, a favourite NZ word, has just been auctioned for silly money.

BabsAnn Wed 27-May-15 13:49:31

We were once having a picnic when a red sports car went by with the licence plate H0t S3x (can't remember the correct letters etc but it was very obvious what they meant!)

Couldn't quite work out if he was offering or looking for some grin
Talk about overcompensation.

I did think to myself that the likelihood of a woman driver having a licence plate like that was fairly low...

JessM Wed 27-May-15 14:04:27

distracting for other drivers.

janeainsworth Wed 27-May-15 15:25:59

They can be clever without being rude.
I saw H2 EAU once and wondered if the vehicle belonged to Northumbrian Water which is owned by a French company sad

loopylou Wed 27-May-15 15:35:57

My sister objected to her new car's registration a few years ago: HU5 5EY
so paid out a fortune for a personalised one hmm

My last car was OAP!

loopylou Wed 27-May-15 15:36:47

Should be xxxx OAP!

janeainsworth Wed 27-May-15 22:26:49

loopy We used to live next door to a family called Hussey!

downtoearth Thu 28-May-15 08:57:10

woman in the village where I usd to live drove around quite proudly in a silver BMW with LIL LET as the number plate...as you do...

Riverwalk Thu 28-May-15 09:22:42

grin When I did my return to practise course a nursing tutor asked us to call her by her first name, Lillet. Not sure what car she drove!

ginny Sun 31-May-15 14:01:24

Some one I spoke to in town said "You must know who I am , I have a personalised number plate " confused

One of my friends was given a personalised number as a gift from her DH. I'd be miffed if my DH wasted his money on this sort of gift for me.

The number plates that are the owners initials only mean anything to those who know them surely ?

grannyactivist Sun 31-May-15 15:32:31

My lovely neice has recently bought a new car (having had her previous one stolen) and her registration is PEN15 - something she actually hadn't noticed until I pointed it out to her.