Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Endgame (Greece)

(15 Posts)
thatbags Fri 10-Jul-15 07:49:55

Very good analysis by Kenan Malik. In his blog, Pandaemonium, he explains why it's not Greece's fault.

ffinnochio Fri 10-Jul-15 08:38:00

This whole debacle is a very good lesson is seeing how financial bully-boy tactics by the EU can put a strangle-hold on a whole country to affect socio-political change.

No wonder so many Greek people are angry.

Jane10 Fri 10-Jul-15 09:05:14

Hhhmm. The Greek governments have a lot to answer for as well as the Greek apparent attitude to paying taxes. They were happy enough to accept all the money that's been thrown at them. Previous posters on this topic have highlighted how other countries in similar conditions have used the funding to develop and improve. I don't necessarily see Greece as entirely innocent victims of EU rapacity.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jul-15 09:27:05

They have some very silly leaders at the moment. The referendum ever being held proved that. In effect, they asked people "Would you like more severe austerity measures to be brought in?" And of course, they said 'No!'

It's up to leaders to lead.

At last they seem to have realised this, and have actually come up with a plan. It might not be the end game yet.

ffinnochio Fri 10-Jul-15 09:51:19

Lending so much money initially to the Greek government, as well as being perfectly aware of their cultural attitude to taxes, has, I believe, been the long-game played out by the EU to have a compliant Greek government which will support their policies. They do not want the far-left Syriza party gaining power.
Sadly, I fear for the future of a democratic Greece. I hope I'm wrong.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jul-15 09:55:50

They cannot be allowed to blame cultural attitude. Money is money. Whatever your "national character".

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jul-15 10:00:14

different Greek political parties here

Perhaps it's time The River had a go.

soontobe Fri 10-Jul-15 15:27:20

Many of them may end up having a go.
That is what tends to happen when countries are in a financial mess. Governments come and go with some regularity.

soontobe Fri 10-Jul-15 15:29:08

Can I ask. What does The Endgame refer to exactly. The End of what? Greece's ties with the EU?

thatbags Fri 10-Jul-15 15:31:21

I believe so, soon, but I tend to find jargon words confusing too.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jul-15 15:36:54

quick video of new bailout plan

Yes Soon, the end of Greece being in the EU, which would probably mean the end of the Greek economy.

ffinnochio Fri 10-Jul-15 16:14:25

Thanks J - but can't get the video to play. I'll try and find it somewhere else.

Meanwhile, Putin is waiting in the wings. I believe Russia and Greece have recently agreed on a gas pipe line deal. Russia will finance the deal, with Greece paying their debt to Russia at a later date.......and so it goes on.

thatbags Fri 10-Jul-15 18:46:45

Here's Rod Liddle's idea. Amusing if you have a robust and wicked sense of humour or, as one commenter put it: "Splendidly incisive; wonderfully cruel; deliciously uncorrect."

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jul-15 19:07:45

According to that, perhaps we should just join the Free Trade Association. Maybe a viable alternative?

ffinnochio Fri 10-Jul-15 19:26:21

The AHWTPLAPOONEP/ALCPWSFEUFITDBNEHWP divide is a bit of a mouthful. Just copy the UK, and call it the North/South divide. grin

Brilliant link.