Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pension Protection

(3 Posts)
Gracesgran Wed 15-Jul-15 12:48:25

In PMQs today an MP asked if the government could look at a system which is used for Judges, etc., whereby the pension they are due 10 years before they retire is protected even if the system for paying pensions changes. He suggested that such a rule would help many of the women born in the 50s and 60s for whom the changes in the pension system mean they will get considerably less than they were expecting. He did not, at any point, suggest the pension system should not be changed or that the rise in the retirement age should not stay.

DC could only answer the questions that weren't asked but the suggestion sounded like a good one to me. I do wish the PM had to answer to a committee rather than or as well as the whole house as PMQs just becomes a political tennis match (although HH acted rather more like a grown-up today than DC did). A committee could go back and insist the question was actually answered.

durhamjen Wed 15-Jul-15 23:21:22

Who's in charge of the PAC since Margaret Hodge gave up? I think that either Cameron or Osborne had to be questioned by them last year.

Gracesgran Thu 16-Jul-15 09:08:06

Meg Hillier Jen but I'm afraid I don't know anything about her. DC and OB do have to appear but I think it is only once or twice a year.