Gransnet forums

News & politics

RBS Sell off-

(15 Posts)
durhamjen Mon 10-Aug-15 17:59:18

Yes, I read that at the weekend, Eloethan.
I like the bit where he said he didn't do it all on his own, he had advice from Rothschilds. They lost half my husband's pension pot. We got some of it back by transferring it to an ethical fund., something Corbyn would approve of.

Eloethan Mon 10-Aug-15 17:54:24

www.independent.co.uk/voices/having-sold-rbs-shares-for-1bn-less-than-he-bought-them-for-osborne-the-economic-genius-strikes-again-10444254.html

I love Mark Steel's angry - but very funny - take on the RBS shares sell off.

Tegan Thu 06-Aug-15 19:10:25

The S.O. told me about this today. Supposedly they've lost around a billion by selling at the wrong time [but I'm sure it would have benefitted some people].

Nandalot Thu 06-Aug-15 11:33:14

Agree totally Trisher. Renewed anger today reading about short selling by hedge funds. Feel as though I have been personally cheated. Irrational I know.

jollyg Tue 04-Aug-15 13:04:13

And dear old Gordie sold all our gold at the worst time possible.

Politicians trust them?

nightowl Tue 04-Aug-15 12:23:36

Or is he sadly all too literate whitewave? And which would be worse in this case? Profligate or crooked?

I would genuinely like someone to give me a good explanation of the reasoning behind this sell off.

nightowl Tue 04-Aug-15 12:21:24

I agree about buying shares Tegan. I have had to bite my tongue many times when friends and relatives have told me how much they have made on the shares they bought when the utilities etc were sold off.

whitewave Tue 04-Aug-15 12:04:29

Just lost the tax payer 1bn. GO is illiterate when it comes to ec onomics

Tegan Tue 04-Aug-15 10:45:14

Never understood why we are given the chance to buy shares in something that actually belongs to us anyway confused and wonder about how people justify buying these sort of shares. Even when I've had the spare cash to buy some I never have done on principle. Interesting to see how much these shares will be worth in a few months time. Moneymakesmoney....

durhamjen Tue 04-Aug-15 10:21:45

Signed it yesterday, nightowl. I am surprised at how quickly shares from the government can be sold. Do they not have to have a vote on it? Osborne seems to treat the government money as his own particular hoard.

Hopefully we can stop him selling off the rest.

There's a similar contrast between the money that the living wage adds, and the welfare cuts.
Living wage puts £4 billion into the economy, as against £12 billion cuts.

nightowl Tue 04-Aug-15 10:10:37

There are several petitions against this. Here is one. Although it's probably too late to stop them.

action.sumofus.org/a/rbs-sell-off/

An interesting contrast between the size of the proposed welfare cuts and the amount of our money he intends to waste, or should I say give to his rich friends.

nightowl Tue 04-Aug-15 09:58:06

Yet still many believe this is the government that can turn the economy around. Safe in their hands? I think not.

Nelliemoser Tue 04-Aug-15 09:42:08

Trisher Those were my immediate thoughts. They did that with the Royal Mail shares. B government and their rich cronies who can afford to invest heavily in such deals and make a good profit.

Bez Tue 04-Aug-15 09:01:21

Yes it is!

trisher Tue 04-Aug-15 08:55:42

So the first lot of RBS shares has been sold very cheaply. Isn't this just another sign that DC and his cronies are busy lining their pockets at the expense of the rest of the public