Gransnet forums

News & politics

Queens Mall Street Party

(42 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 15-Jan-16 10:23:24

The Mall Street party to celebrate her ninetieth birthday is for tickets only costing £150 , organised by her grandson Peter Phillips company . So two parents and two children will have to pay £600 ,this rules out a large section of people .

merlotgran Wed 03-Feb-16 22:24:39

End of what?

Granarchist Wed 03-Feb-16 22:21:45

The idea did not come from HM. She gave her approval that is all. End of.

gillybob Wed 03-Feb-16 16:01:14

I think to be fair her maj should have had the event sponsored.

Then there could have been advertising banners put up to recoup the cost.

Queens 90th birthday celebration sponsored by Aldi

or

Wonga

or

Fortnum & Mason (well maybe not)

CelticRose Wed 03-Feb-16 15:12:35

Just wandering through forums. Ashamed to say that I had not heard of this until the other day. (Too busy reading about world news, I think.) I wonder how much the security will cost. Of course, we could be in for another financial crash before then - according to international news. But will this stop the mighty street party. Perhaps Qatar will foot the bill. They have, after all, invested a lot of money in property and business in the UK. I also note that the Second Wife is a Dame of the British Empire - but not sure which services were rendered.

Ana Fri 22-Jan-16 21:21:26

Well said POGS.

POGS Fri 22-Jan-16 21:14:06

Well it's all relative I suppose.

Who remembers Ed Milibands fundraising gala at ' £15.000 ' per table at the Roundhouse a while back. Hardly one for the grassroots was it? I am sure the Conservatives have some shockers too to be fair.. Mind you who ever organised that one should have been given the job as it raised something like £500.000 for Labours coffers, imagine charities sharing all that .

There is nothing wrong in anybody charging what they want , their business after all but it is worth pointing out at £150 a ticket poor old Liz is worth the same almost as a Take That concert.

Whilst there might be a question of nepotism I don't see any issues if it is open knowledge and I am sure somewhere along the line charities will benefit. It's a massive party to organise, just imagine the security aspect alone. Then there is food, furniture hire, etc. etc. so all in all I think it is not such a bad price taking everything into consideration .

If anybody who hopes for a ticket and secures one then I am more than happy for them and wish them a nice bit of sunshine.

trisher Fri 22-Jan-16 20:01:09

If she really wanted to celebrate she could have had a couple of celebrations-one which she funded herself with free tickets for anyone who was picked out in a ballot and one to raise where she auctioned tickets to the super-rich with the proceeds going to charity. This cuts out half of HM subjects who won't be able to afford it and is a cheap party for anyone with a bit of cash.

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Jan-16 19:44:10

Oh, jack, that's lovely. flowers

jack Fri 22-Jan-16 19:04:01

Now you've made me cry Maggiemaybe. Thank you. He is the love of my life.

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Jan-16 19:00:45

Well I for one hope he gets that ticket, jack, and that the sun shines all day for him!

jack Fri 22-Jan-16 18:57:47

Precisely, Elegran. We live in a civilized democracy and should be allowed to indulge in the very occasional harmless treat without being given the Third Degree.

Just for the record, DH is saving up for the event - just in case he is lucky in the ballot. And if he isn't, he'll probably spend the money on the grandchildren, because that's the kind of lovely man he is.

Elegran Fri 22-Jan-16 18:40:58

jack dont tar us all with the same brush (I do know that you didn't!) There are many posters who ignored this thread because they had no strong feelings about it to air. Those who grudge people the pleasure of going to an event which is unlikely to be repeated in the next century are very few, and not at all representative.

The cost is no worse than tickets to some other entertainments and it seems to have been made clear from the outset, so no-one is likely to apply and then get a nasty fright when they are asked for £150.

Some people go to rave pop concerts, some to opera and ballet. Some spend twice £150 on a meal out for two.

Live and let live.

Anniebach Fri 22-Jan-16 18:35:24

It's not the street party, it's the fact that it has been turned into a - only those with money can attend, unless there are many families of four who have £600 to spend

Ana Fri 22-Jan-16 18:28:26

It really is mean-spirited, isn't it? You don't have to be an ardent royalist to hope the event is a success, but to rabid anti-royalists I suppose any popular support of such events is something to be sneered at.

jack Fri 22-Jan-16 18:17:54

I think this social network should be renamed Grumpy Gransnet. What a miserable lot you are (well, lots of you on this thread). It's lovely to have a Monarchy, and a Queen who has survived all the usual and less usual ups and downs of family life whilst still carrying out thousands of public engagements. I simply don't understand what's wrong with a party in The Mall. And as for the person who hopes it's going to rain on the parade I think this is so mean-spirited that it beggars belief. I'd hate to be your grandchild.

trisher Fri 22-Jan-16 16:41:53

Presumably the homeless/ticket touts/pickpockets/con-men who comprise a large part of the London population will be moved off somewhere else for the day.

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Jan-16 16:20:41

Really, janepearce6? You'd want people like jack's husband to have their day spoilt? Why, exactly?

Because you don't like the monarchy/can't go yourself/are in the traffic police/don't like to see anyone else having fun?

AyjayF Fri 22-Jan-16 13:45:10

We are having Big Lunch/ Queens birthday celebration in our own street. No charge. Neighbours bring food ,drink + chat to each other ( no interest in Royal family required!)

Riverwalk Fri 22-Jan-16 13:38:38

That's a bit mean janepearce shock I'm not a royalist but wouldn't wish it to rain on their parade.

I haven't looked into the finer details of all this but I somehow think it's for 'the masses' regardless of price - those who queue-up with thermos and pac-a-mac. I can't see the great and the good sitting out in The Mall having tea!

If it rains there'll be special arrangements for the likes of Cliff Richard, Joanna Lumley or whoever is lined-up.

merlotgran Fri 22-Jan-16 13:29:14

janepearce, I think the Queen's diamond jubilee celebrations proved that nobody will care a jot if it rains. hmm

Are you always such a little ray of sunshine?

janepearce6 Fri 22-Jan-16 13:21:26

I really hope it pours with rain on the day - a few will go home because they wonder why they ever agreed to such an expensive mistake. I cannot believe it was ever muted - surely anybody who wants to, can organise their own street party if they want to. Anyway what happens to traffic on the Mall - always annoying to close roads, especially in London. Bad idea, silly idea, outrageous to have even thought about it!!

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Jan-16 13:20:50

I agree with you, jack. It's not my sort of thing, but my DMIL for instance would have loved the chance to be there and would have seen it as a once in a lifetime treat. It's a not-for-profit event anyway and any surplus is going to the Queen's charities - if people want to splash out on a ticket then who's to say they shouldn't?

Many of the same arguments and grumbles were raised before the London Olympics. I was lucky enough to get tickets in the second ballot, spent much more of our savings than I should have done on a three day stay and had a fantastic time, the memories of which will live with me.

You do get fed, jack, I've just checked! Each guest will be given a hamper, and I guess it'll contain more than a mini pork pie and a couple of soggy cheese and tomato sarnies grin

jack Fri 22-Jan-16 13:00:35

I'm not sure why everyone's moaning. No-one is forcing you to attend and it'll all be televised for the stay-at-homes. Nevertheless DH wants to put his name in the ballot (perhaps he's already done so) as he is 77 and thinks it will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be part of a bit national event. Why not? Cheaper than going to the opera, and you get fed too (I hope).

Anniebach Fri 22-Jan-16 10:52:54

This is different to Armstrong Jones and his input into the investiture , this is a company , a business , and the queen will not be sitting in on the picnic so knowledge of Royal ropes has not a hot to do with it, what is the connection between a street party and knowing the Royal ropes ?

ajanela Fri 22-Jan-16 10:15:00

It will cost a lot of money to put on this event. Think of the moans if the tax payer were covering the cost. How much is a ticket to the Royal variety performance and think how much people paid for the olympics and big football matches and Royal ascot to name a few.

Surely it is easier for someone the queen is comfortable with and knows the Royal "ropes" to organise the event than some big outside maybe foreign company. Brave man, think of the critisism if it goes wrong.

Stop moaning and get on and organise your street party as we did in the " good old days". The poor women is 89 and still turns up for a large number of events, chatting, smiling, shaking hands and what I most admire standing still for long periods at ceremonies .