Gransnet forums

News & politics

Community Service for your Pension

(45 Posts)
trisher Wed 17-Feb-16 10:18:27

Lord Bichard thinks we should have to do community service in order to get our pension. I wouldn't mind doing a few days in the second chamber (now known as the House of Lords) and I think I could do as good a job as many of them for much less. Do you think he would give his seat up and give me a go? Or does he think that we should be doing much more basic things like cleaning parks etc?
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9630862/Elderly-should-do-community-work-or-lose-pension-peer-says.html

Jalima Wed 24-Feb-16 21:24:02

Would we have to wear clothes like that too, or else forfeit our pensions whitewave

Burden on Society headbands perhaps?

FarNorth Thu 18-Feb-16 08:50:33

I don't think having Community Payback on their clothes is a great idea, btw. Why not just go for arrows?

FarNorth Thu 18-Feb-16 08:49:19

We might be a wonderful civilising influence on "people like that". smile

whitewave Thu 18-Feb-16 08:45:55

Walking the dog the other day I passed about a dozen young men with Community Payback emblazoned on their clothes. They were cutting back a hedge and did look a bit dodgy to say the least. Made me a tad nervous especially as they commented as I walked past.
Would we have to work with people like thatshock

FarNorth Thu 18-Feb-16 08:38:03

Not Mr Bichard anyway.

absent Thu 18-Feb-16 05:19:30

"Negative burden"? Could someone tell me what constitutes a "positive burden"?

Eloethan Wed 17-Feb-16 23:12:29

And the Daily Express who reported it - and Saga and the National Pensioners Convention who commented on it.

Jalima Wed 17-Feb-16 19:32:20

apart from us ...

Jalima Wed 17-Feb-16 19:31:59

Ana grin

And he is a cross-bench peer anyway so is anyone taking any notice?

Ana Wed 17-Feb-16 19:18:41

It's only some pompous peer spouting rubbish. Take no notice - no one did when he said it and it's just being repeated now to get the reactions displayed on here today.

M0nica Wed 17-Feb-16 19:11:04

I paid for my pension through my national insurance in the same way I paid for my occupational pension by payments into my employers pension scheme. My past employer doesn't expect me to work to justify the pension I contributed to for many years why should the noble lord expect me to work for the state pension I also contributed to for many years

The state pension ins NOT a benefit, it is a contributory pension.

Charleygirl Wed 17-Feb-16 16:09:48

Silly me thought that I had already worked to earn my pension. There is no way I will be out sweeping streets or whatever.

trisher Wed 17-Feb-16 16:00:39

Suppose we turned this on its head and said OK but we want to be paid the going rate for all the work we already do caring/childminding/volunteering etc. I wonder how much more money we would all be entitled to? Maybe they should think what good value they are already getting for the amount of pension we are paid.

Leticia Wed 17-Feb-16 15:51:48

Regardless of when he said it the country would fall apart if pensioners stopped doing community service!

Jalima Wed 17-Feb-16 15:43:49

They sound like a repeat of what he said in 2012, so either there is no news to report hmm or the Express is stirring the sh*t or is very slow on the uptake

Eloethan Wed 17-Feb-16 13:58:04

Well, whether he made the comments in 2012 and they have been re-published recently, or whether he made them yesterday isn't really the point. The Daily Express chose to highlight them, and it all adds up to creating a climate which I believe is designed to lead to resentment in younger people and guilt and anxiety in older people.

Ana Wed 17-Feb-16 13:23:36

Lord Bichard's quoted wording is almost exactly the same in both the 2012 Telegraph article and the Express article dated today.

I notice the Express doesn't state exactly when he made the remarks.

Granarchist Wed 17-Feb-16 13:12:59

I remember my best friend's mother who was asked if she had ever thought about Meals on Wheels, she replied that she could probably help about once a fortnight but was very busy helping the local hospital library service on most other days. No - they explained - did she WANT Meals on Wheels. Friend's mother was over 80 at the time. We often have helpers at our local Monday Club who are way older than those they are helping!

Eloethan Wed 17-Feb-16 13:12:27

The Daily Express site says "published Tuesday 16 February". Bichard's comments were, according to the report, made following controversy about another issue related to elderly people:

"Frail and infirm pensioners will be advised to pay a special fee in order to allow a council's care workers to pick them up should they fall down at home.

"Conservative-run Tendring District Council announced its proposed 'lifting charge' saying it aims to "provide a prompt response from specially trained staff" as part of its Careline elderly help service.

"Those with a higher fall risk will be encouraged to opt-in to the service

"But the new proposed annual levy will be £25.92 in addition to the cost of the Careline service" [which is apparently £21 per month].

My mum has had the Careline service for a few years now and has only alerted the emergency centre once in all that time - and that was unintentional. Surely people like her who never or rarely need the emergency service cancel out those who use it more frequently.

rosesarered Wed 17-Feb-16 13:02:21

No need for anyone to ' be afraid ' grin it's nonsense.

Alima Wed 17-Feb-16 12:38:34

In a few years when the pension age is 68, 69 or 70 will they have to "work" for their pension too? We have worked for our state pension, they cannot try to make us feel guilty for receiving it.

Alea Wed 17-Feb-16 12:28:27

Snort! Huh! As if!
Granny duties, ferrying DH to his many rendezvous with the NHS is my idea of community service. And if I have to "work" for my pension I'll have all my NI and superannuation payments back, thank you!!

janeainsworth Wed 17-Feb-16 12:19:17

Being not bring

janeainsworth Wed 17-Feb-16 12:17:51

This is the only link that I can find which is dated today.
www.express.co.uk/news/uk/644601/Elderly-people-community-work-lose-pension-Lord-Bichard
There is no reference to this bring a recent speech.
I think it's the right-wing press digging up stuff for people to get upset about.
I am not sure what Bichard's current role is but he is not an MP and has no power to influence government policy.
At a time when the government is facing opprobrium for raising the state pension age, I can't imagine that even they would be daft enough to try to bring in his ideas.

Ana Wed 17-Feb-16 12:17:48

It's an old report. It gives the date at the beginning of the article.