Gransnet forums

News & politics

Full Fact

(15 Posts)
Lavande Sun 21-Feb-16 18:08:39

I said it was non partisan based on my experience of using it. As suggested by Gracesgran.

whitewave Sun 21-Feb-16 18:03:48

It is something that dj has pointed me to on a number of occasions - my trouble is I need to put time aside to investigate what I need answering, and I am so busy with other stuff at the moment, it is annoying.

Eloethan Sun 21-Feb-16 17:56:21

I'll have a look at it. Thanks.

Gracesgran Sun 21-Feb-16 16:56:50

I have found this an excellent site Luckygirl and have donated to them myself.

I would be interest to know where others think they have been partisan as I have never seen any sign of this when I have checked things out.

Jane10 Sun 21-Feb-16 16:25:23

True Thatbags! I'll just have to try to do that for myself.

thatbags Sat 20-Feb-16 16:57:30

The thing is to try to think critically about everything one hears/reads. It's not easy but it's the best one can aspire to.

thatbags Sat 20-Feb-16 16:56:34

Plenty of non-profit charities are very partisan so being a charity and not making profits doesn't prove or disprove anything.

Elegran Sat 20-Feb-16 16:53:52

Everyone thinks that they are not being biased and that it is other people who are prejudiced. The only answer is to be prepared to be open-minded and actually use your own judgment based on all the evidence you can understand. That is not easy on an issue with so many ramifications.

Jane10 Sat 20-Feb-16 16:45:20

I'm being awkward I know but anyone could say they were non partisan. I don't know how they could prove that they were.

Lavande Sat 20-Feb-16 15:18:46

I (and others) have recommended this link to posters on the EU referendum thread. It is a registered charity, non-profit making and non partisan.

Jane10 Sat 20-Feb-16 12:47:14

Sorry Luckygirl I don't mean to be negative. That website sounds VG but it would wouldn't it! Its all so confusing and critical appraisal of so many sources is so hard.

Luckygirl Sat 20-Feb-16 12:04:02

Sigh - this is supposed to be a democracy.

obieone Sat 20-Feb-16 11:49:06

Who sponsors them? Where do they get their income from? Follow the money.
fullfact.org/about/funding/

Are the sponsors biased? I dont know.

Jane10 Sat 20-Feb-16 11:36:33

Who decides what's 'impartial' though? I'm interested in having the full facts of all sorts of issues but editors can steer what they actually put forward. Critical appraisal can be hard with so many agendas and people's entirely human bias to believe the 'facts' that suit them rather than what they don't want to hear.

Luckygirl Sat 20-Feb-16 11:31:35

I have just signed up to this organisation: fullfact.org/

Their job is to present impartial evidence for politicians' and businesses' claims, so that you can make up your own mind about what to believe.

It will be interesting to see how useful this is. Does anyone else use this? It has some impressive representation on their board and among their workforce.