Gransnet forums

News & politics

Turkey

(20 Posts)
Jalima Sun 13-Mar-16 17:36:00

Turkey joining the EU is not on the cards any time soon says George Osborne, which of course does not mean never. Negotiations have been going on for over 10 years.
Another sticking point is the situation with Cyprus.

nigglynellie Sun 13-Mar-16 16:55:00

Precisely!!!!

rosesarered Sun 13-Mar-16 16:45:21

Very true!

petra Sun 13-Mar-16 16:43:18

Just remembered something my Dad used to say: When you pay the blackmailer don't be surprised when he comes back for more.

nigglynellie Sun 13-Mar-16 15:50:17

Although a lot of us hear what you say, we don't see it that way. How do you categorically know whether Turkey will or will not be allowed to join the EU? Politicians have hoodwinked us so often, to the point that we simply don't believe one word they say. The way the migrant crisis has been handled is appalling. The financial situation in Greece is, and continues to be a nightmare, and thank God we didn't join the euro! Not a picture that promotes confidence! I for one prefer the devil I know!

MargaretX Sun 13-Mar-16 15:34:59

All I hear on the BBC is that Turkey might join the EU. its all to frighten you off voting to stay in. Turkey has no chance of joining, its just that with them taking in so many refugees (100s times more than the UK) - that they need help and money. They have been wanting to join for years but it will not happen.
We have lot of Turks in Germany and they are very friendly, polite people and when I worked in the Women's Refuge the Türkish women were the most industrious and very clean and tidy.

I live in the centre of the EU and find its fabulous!. What makes it a basket case? I feel safe and protected here and would be scared to be old and fragile in the UK. As to sovereignity we are all sovereign states in the EU we don't need to have wars and armies and 'our boys' fighting to feel that we are our own nation. No amount of cooperation could prevent the French being French or the Germans being German or the Poles being Polish.
its laughable!

nigglynellie Sun 13-Mar-16 12:47:28

Turkey is a basket case, and the E U is quickly becoming the same! How could anyone even contemplate that country becoming a member state. I know 'needs must and all that', it surely this is a devil too far, even by the double standards of certain politicians, who will remain nameless?!!!

thatbags Sun 13-Mar-16 12:18:07

Also a very stupid thing to say. So much for him being 'educated'. Societies improve their ideas when girls and women are educated.

Jane10 Sun 13-Mar-16 12:14:14

A "biological convenience"?! What an outrageous thing to think far less say out loud.

TerriBull Sun 13-Mar-16 12:09:53

Catherine Bennett writes in The Observer today "A rapturous day for misogyny if Turkey joins the EU", I agree the Prime Minister took the opportunity on International Women's Day to announce that women were a "biological convenience". I know that many believe that education is the key to enlightenment but presumably Turkey's politicians are educated and they still hold attitudes such as this. Not to mention their appalling human rights records, particularly against their Kurdish citizens. Allowing Turkey to join, as it is today, would be making a pact with the devil imo.

nigglynellie Sat 12-Mar-16 17:03:18

Snakes and ladders?!! Happy Families?! to name but two!!

rosesarered Sat 12-Mar-16 16:48:17

Ludo?

petra Sat 12-Mar-16 16:45:20

What!!! Your saying the Turks could be corrupt!!! Wash your mouth out.

POGS Sat 12-Mar-16 16:40:48

Perhaps there wasn't enough money to be made from 'match fixing' .wink

petra Sat 12-Mar-16 16:40:37

Roses. Of what.?

rosesarered Sat 12-Mar-16 16:28:30

Shall we have a quick game?grin

nigglynellie Sat 12-Mar-16 15:25:12

Politics generally depress me, I don't know why I join in!!particularly as its never going to change a thing!!! But it was nice to laugh!

petra Sat 12-Mar-16 14:46:01

So pleased, Nellie. I sometimes depress myself with my politicle posts

nigglynellie Sat 12-Mar-16 14:41:19

You've just made me laugh out loud!! What a relief!! Happy days are clearly here again!!

petra Sat 12-Mar-16 14:04:13

Some good news. Turkey have just lifted the ban on table football. Their not all bad then.